Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Carbon Fiber Tripods - Seeking Input

greenlander_

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Carbon Fiber Tripods - Seeking Input

I need to make a decision in the next day or two on a CF tripod for backpacking.

Outside of the obvious requirements (good build quality and stability), at a premium are weight and packed down size. The tripod is going to be added to what is already 40+ pounds of gear on my back, which will be carried for 30+ mies over the course of a few days, so every pound counts.

I haven't shopped for a tripod in ages, and even then bought used, so I was a bit surprised at the high prices.

So, I've been looking at two offerings by Calumet. The 8132 (max height 58", 3.1 lbs) and the 8156 (max height 72", 3.8 lbs). These tripods SEEM to be of good quality, but I have no reference due to my lack of experience with modern tripods. They clearly aren't as nice as a $600 Gitzo I also looked at, but I'm trying to keep spending down.

I have the money to spend on a higher priced tripod if it is absolutely necessary (yes, I know this is entirely subjective), but if the differences in the field aren't going to be significant, I'd be more comfortable not doing so.

My hope is someone has some experience with either of these tripods or can offer otherwise relevant advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:34 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #2 · Carbon Fiber Tripods - Seeking Input

Oh, the Calumet models are $279 and $379 respectively.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:35 PM
mMontag
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Carbon Fiber Tripods - Seeking Input

I have been using a Gitzo 0540 (I call it the Gitzero) with a Gitzo g1077 ballhead & small Arca type plate for ulta-lite backpacking for well over 5 years. It is my most used piece of photography equipment with exception of the camera body. The tripod & ballhead are 30oz (1lb-14oz). For landscape photography including low light, long exposure, etc, etc. and have never had a bad shot due to the light weightness of the tripod. Try to find one used, the folks that believe in using a "too heavy" of a tripod are selling them all the time.

BTW - not tying to be critical, but a summer/fall 3-season multi-day solo backpacking kit w/o camera equipment can easily be under 25lbs - with food/water, nighttime temps to 35* - it is a thought process of what you don't take is more.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:16 PM
greenlander_

p.1 #4 · Carbon Fiber Tripods - Seeking Input

I'll definitely have a look at your suggestion, though with just 2 business days to go I don't know how likely it is I can get it here in time.

Regarding weight: I'm a bit over my budget but 25 would be very difficult for me. I'm also there for fishing (primarily in fact) ... Which adds about 10 pounds in gear.

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password