Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing i...

MicksPics

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

I rented this lens to see if I like it or not, and while I had some decent results, I found that in low-light concert settings the auto-focus would get confused and refuse to focus on an obvious subject. Is this a common thing with this lens, or perhaps I just rented a tired lens? Is it possibly related to the T3i Rebel body I am shooting with?

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

I've not used that lens but I do have the similar 28-75 Tamron.
To say that AF speed and accuracy indoors is not that lens strong point is an understament.
I also have the canon 24-105 and although it's a stop slower (half the light) it focuses easily better indoors when the Tamron just gives up and thinks about just guessing a distance.
I made the mistake one time when having just got it (used copy) and used it in better light I thought I would take the Tamron with me when 1 of my daughters was performing at a book signing in a branch of borders. It wasn't event that dark in there but I came away with pretty much no workable in focus shots of the actual performance (it was over pretty quick so messing around with MF was not really an option) and even when I tried to get possed shots with the author and my daughter it failed to lock onto the AF assist made by my 580ex .

Suffice to say I don't use it very often now

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

By the way don't let the above make you think I would only choose canon lenses. I've got a 12-24/4 tokina that focuses without issue . And have also had a tokina 28-70/2.8 which while it lacked total iq of better lenses focused fine also.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM
MicksPics

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

Thanks for the feedback. I'm renting a different lens each week to see what works for me. Since I primarily only do concert shooting I really want to make sure the lens I buy are up to the task at hand and I don't have to worry about missing a shot due to a lag in AF.

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

What other lenses have you tried?
I hear the sigma 17-50 HSM OS is decent . And you have the advantage of HSM and OS

But really as far as standard fast zooms go for crop bodies I think it starts and ends with the EFs 17-55is . Fast AF with good is . Not cheap though.

Although the tokina 16-50 is supposed to decent optically you don't have such fast AF . Although as I said I find tokinas AF to be pretty accurate

If your doing loads of stuff indoors in potentially iffy light (I presume the light is changing all the time as well) then I would be inclined to plump for the canon lens.

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

Also don't forget the body could be having an effect also.
The rebels system is near the bottom of the tree as AF systems go. The xxD 9 cross point AF is defiantly better. I've had a 350D and 450D . The 450 had the same AF as you current body. I then went upto the xxD line with the 40D (also dabbled with the 50D) and for most things the AF was better . But then I got the 7D and that blew the xxD AF out of the water.
I also have had 2 1D2n bodies and yes that was the best system I've tried (the new AF in the 5D3 looks even better) , but I would say I've only noticed it to be better for moving small objects like birds . Everything else the 7D more than holds its own .

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:53 PM
MicksPics

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD auto focusing issue

This is the first lens I've rented and tried. I had better results over the weekend shooting some MX freestyle shots, though I am still not sold on this lens yet. I am going to rent another lens this week when I return it, probably a comparable Sigma lens, then the Canon one that was mentioned.

As far as the body, I have great AF times with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 I bought, it's super fast and flawless in everything I've shot both in low light and outdoors during the day.

Thanks again folks!

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password