Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 1DX Flash Issue

Binh Ly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX Flash Issue

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Solution:
If it works fine with the master set to fire , then how about covering the flash lens with a black out of some kind?

Get one of thes cheap plastic diffusers they fit snug on the flash head and spray paint it black inside. Or line it black velvet or something

Yes setting the master to fire works all the time. If you turn the master off, it'll behave erratically. In addition, do not cover the output of the master (I tried that already) as it will also cause it to behave erratically. The only way to make it work consistently is to turn on the master all the time. And then if you don't want the master to add to the exposure, turn its power all the way down and point it away from the subject. I have used it this way on several weddings and never had any problems on any bodies or flashes.

Jul 28, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX Flash Issue

James Cripps wrote:
So the 600EX's are worthless to me as I still use a 5D along with the 1DX.

First of all you can't use optical and radio at the same time (to trigger a 580EX and 600EX for the same image... I'd have to buy 3 600EX's!)

You can't use radio HSS on anything but the 1DX and 5DIII!

AND it only syncs at up to 1/100th on the 5D, instead of it's native 1/200th.

Right. That's why I didn't recommend you ditch your system and get a set of 600EX. I did pick up a pair of 600EX-RT for my 5D3, and they work great. But, I still work with older bodies in my studio, and use the PW system to tie in to 4 Paul Buff monolights (older than Alien Bees). It's nice to use the tiny TT1 and AC3 on camera to control 3 separate groups of lights. If money were no object - hah! - the best thing for speedlight work would be 5D3, 1DX, and as many 600EX-RT as you want. You already have a good system for your needs, so I would use the RP on 580EX or EXII, and when shooting the 1DX, just power it down and/or point it away from the subject.

Edited on Jul 28, 2012 at 07:04 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:02 PM
James Cripps
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX Flash Issue

In the past, it has always worked as I use it. There's no problem with my method. The RadioPoppers just aren't working with the 1DX in this exact setting.

Also I'm using ETTL, so, if I turn the power down on the Master, that will turn down the power on the slave, unless I'm using exclusively Manual flash. Manual flash is useless to me at a wedding in 90% of situations.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX Flash Issue

James Cripps wrote:
In the past, it has always worked as I use it. There's no problem with my method. The RadioPoppers just aren't working with the 1DX in this exact setting.

Also I'm using ETTL, so, if I turn the power down on the Master, that will turn down the power on the slave, unless I'm using exclusively Manual flash. Manual flash is useless to me at a wedding in 90% of situations.

What if you keep it on ETTL, but point it away and diffuse the output to further reduce the "light pollution"?

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:05 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX Flash Issue

A quick google search reveals they've released PX firmware updates in the past. I'd report your issue to them in case they're not already aware of it, and hope that they can fix it quickly.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX Flash Issue

snapsy wrote:
A quick google search reveals they've released PX firmware updates in the past. I'd report your issue to them in case they're not already aware of it, and hope that they can fix it quickly.

Aha! Should be simpler than what PW needs to do with FW. I hope your wait is shorter than ours has already been with the 5D3 and PW Flex.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX Flash Issue

James Cripps wrote:

If you want this to work on a 1DX, you can always A:B ratio it in ETTL. Set to 1:8 and that should reduce the output of the master flash while still maintaining ETTL on both the master and slave - then point the master away from the subject. Just a thought.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:12 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX Flash Issue

snapsy wrote:

I sent them an email about it yesterday, so I'll let everyone know if/when I get a response in regards to it. I REALLY hope they address it. Would make my life so much easier.

I like the 1:8 ratio idea as well. That could work. I'll have to see!

I also just tried using the 580EXII as Master, and the 580EX as slave (reversed from last night), and it behaves the same way, unfortunately.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:22 PM
csangree

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX Flash Issue

I did a bunch of further testing on the 1Dx/RadioPopper issue... Ratio doesn't work with the RPs on the 1Dx. Would have been a good workaround if it worked. High-speed sync works, surprisingly.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:32 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX Flash Issue

James Cripps wrote:
So the 600EX's are worthless to me as I still use a 5D along with the 1DX.

First of all you can't use optical and radio at the same time (to trigger a 580EX and 600EX for the same image... I'd have to buy 3 600EX's!)

You can't use radio HSS on anything but the 1DX and 5DIII!

AND it only syncs at up to 1/100th on the 5D, instead of it's native 1/200th.

True that you can't mix optical and radio, but the last 2 statements apparently are false as several people have verified that these features work just fine on older camera bodies. The only thing that doesn't work is the new group mode.

I have never used RPs, but I recently sold all of my flashes and PW system for 3 of the new 600EX-RT units, which work great.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Cripps
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX Flash Issue

Received this message from RadioPopper Support:

"James,

We had a report of this about a month ago and we informed our engineers. I will need to check with them and see if they have made any progress with any updates. I did not deal with the customer that reported it initially, but one thing you may want to try is switching your TTL channel on your flashes to channel 4. I know that has remedied similar issues on older Canon gear and perhaps it may help with this scenario. Please keep me posted on the results and I will keep you posted on any updates."

I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Edit: This doesn't remedy the issue. And, from further emails with RP support, it doesn't seem there is much hope for a fix from them.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM
csangree

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX Flash Issue

That is a very disappointing response from them. I tried all four channels in testing as well, but it didn't make a difference.

My gut feeling is that they're throwing in the towel since Canon has released the 600EX-RT with radio built in. Maybe they see the end is near and they don't want to invest the R&D to even look into fixing it? Or maybe they're counting on the Mayan 2012 prophesies to be true?

What do you think?

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:20 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX Flash Issue

csangree wrote:
That is a very disappointing response from them. I tried all four channels in testing as well, but it didn't make a difference.

My gut feeling is that they're throwing in the towel since Canon has released the 600EX-RT with radio built in. Maybe they see the end is near and they don't want to invest the R&D to even look into fixing it? Or maybe they're counting on the Mayan 2012 prophesies to be true?

What do you think?

That's my feeling too... Gah! Now what... buy a 5DIII to replace my 5D, and get 2 or 3 600EX-RTs? Yeah, Canon would love that... my wallet wouldn't. I just bought a freakin 1DX!!!

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:34 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX Flash Issue

Photon wrote:
Right. That's why I didn't recommend you ditch your system and get a set of 600EX. I did pick up a pair of 600EX-RT for my 5D3, and they work great. But, I still work with older bodies in my studio, and use the PW system to tie in to 4 Paul Buff monolights (older than Alien Bees). It's nice to use the tiny TT1 and AC3 on camera to control 3 separate groups of lights. If money were no object - hah! - the best thing for speedlight work would be 5D3, 1DX, and as many 600EX-RT as you
...Show more

So if I use the 600ex-rt with a 5d2 or 1d Mark IV it will only give me a 1/100th sync for off camera flash? So if the flash is mounted on the camera I can get full sync speed?

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:24 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX Flash Issue

teebat wrote:
So if I use the 600ex-rt with a 5d2 or 1d Mark IV it will only give me a 1/100th sync for off camera flash? So if the flash is mounted on the camera I can get full sync speed?

That's right, according to Canon. Although some sources are claiming you actually still get full sync speed AND high speed sync with those cameras (and all other, older EOS). I'm unsure of the reality of it all.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:14 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX Flash Issue

James Cripps wrote:
That's right, according to Canon. Although some sources are claiming you actually still get full sync speed AND high speed sync with those cameras (and all other, older EOS). I'm unsure of the reality of it all.

Thanks for the reply, I was getting conflicting information. I really would like to get 3 600's and stop using my RP's but not if its going to force me to buy new cameras just to get the full benefit of the new flashes.

I have been reading about the Nissan MG8000 Extreme which has wireless communication and won't over heat and slow down, but I haven't seen it for sale in the US.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:54 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX Flash Issue

I use two 600EX-RT and a 5DMKII with HSS - no problems. I guess I should say that I'm using the 600RTs in manual mode with HSS (I believe TTL works as well). Also, I can control the power output of the off camera flash from the 600EX on my MKII.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX Flash Issue

I have a ratio problem with my radiopoppers and my 5Dc's. If you set A:B:C ratio then nothing works. If you keep it to A:B then it all works perfectly. I sent in my radiopoppers for firmware updates and informed them of the problem but no luck.

Aug 03, 2012 at 08:03 AM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX Flash Issue

I'm able to use off camera slaves with the Radiopopper PX and my 1Dx. The problem occurs when I attempt to set ratios on the STE2 master. It occasionally works but only if I do a FEL prior to shooting. I have notified Radiopopper support via email twice and with a phone call. A technician was supposed to call back but so far have received no response.

This identical setup works perfectly on my 1D III and 1D IV.

Regards,
Jay

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX Flash Issue

Well I guess their ears were burning up in RadiopopperLand because I just received this email minutes ago:

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your patience, and my sincere apologies for the delayed response, as I thought I'd gotten back
to you already. I have you on my list of 1DX users to contact for when the issue's been resolved,
and coincidentally I was going to email you about it this evening.

We just came up with a firmware update for both PX Transmitter and PX Receiver that resolves those issues with
the 1DX. Just send 'em my way and I'll get them back to ya within a few days.

Attn: Laurent Vriesman RadioPopper Leap Devices LLC
501 SE Columbia
...Show more

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:14 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password