Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

LocoPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

Hey everyone,

Setting my frustration aside, I'm hoping someone here can give me good guidance on what to do next.

I'm mid-process in converting a Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon MM (C/Y mount) over to Nikon using a Leitax adaptor, and all has been smooth in the disassembly going by the instructions on the leitax website....except two things....one, the aperture ring after removal now doesn't activate the aperture blades when I put it back on.

The arm going down from the aperture ring can't nestle into the U shaped metal piece, as the U shaped metal piece is too far forward and can't come back far enough for the two pieces to nestle in alignment. The vertical arm from the aperture ring has to go into the U shaped space, but the U shaped piece is blocked by something, which is the number two issue - in the movement of the U shaped piece forward or back...the aperture blades aren't turning anymore.

Anyone here have experience with this conversion? All help appreciated very much as I really need to get this lens back in operation.

Thanks everyone, sincerely,

LocoPhoto

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

No experience here, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

First things first, the mechanism for moving the aperture blades must be working before you continue on with attaching the aperture ring, if you can't move the blades now, attaching the ring is a waste of time.
A picture would help...

These instructions?
http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

Jul 28, 2012 at 06:20 AM
LocoPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

Thanks Lightshow, I'm away from my own computer right now, but I'll post some pics.

Sincerely appreciated!

LocoPhoto

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Propellor

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

Maybe it is a good idea to contact David at Leitax. He speaks very good English and since he is the designer of the mount, it is possible that he knows what he is talking about.........
Or is that a loco idea?

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:43 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 21 MM conversion problem - aperture ring not working

'Maybe it is a good idea to contact David at Leitax.' This is best.

David did the mount work for this very lens for my cameras (Sony). I suggest one of two things - (i) take an image or two of the problem and send David the jpgs for him to comment on and advise, or (ii) send the lens and ask him to fix it for you. Some conversions or mount changes do not go according to plan, I have had one go this way of the five CY > A mount leitax mounts I use.

All the best, for this one the trouble is most definitely worth it. Don't forget to insure the parcel if you do send it. Given what these are worth and their relative scarcity that is what I would do.

Aug 03, 2012 at 04:41 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password