New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · i am looking for some help

drdrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · i am looking for some help

hi all. i am not new to this photography thing, but i admit i don't know everything :P
my landscape work is moving along nicely and i am finding myself printing larger and larger as a result for personal and professional jobs.

lately, due to drought i have not been shooting my normal subjects, but rather taken to night photography during these hot and clear months.

i am able to produce lovely web size images and prints to about 8x12....but no where near the size of a lot of my pieces at 20x30 or above.

its the noise.....i need about iso 2500 to get good pinpoint stars. my files are noisy. i need help from anyone who prints these images large....i know secrets can be well guarded so i'm looking for a pro in a good mood...lol

i do use the dark frame noise reduction. i do shoot raw and process in ACR. i was thinking of doing a layer of heavy noise reduction in the sky and blending it in....but at iso 2500 the foreground can be pretty noisy too. am i missing a trick? any help is appreciated.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:09 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · i am looking for some help

drdrew wrote:
hi all. i am not new to this photography thing, but i admit i don't know everything :P
my landscape work is moving along nicely and i am finding myself printing larger and larger as a result for personal and professional jobs.

lately, due to drought i have not been shooting my normal subjects, but rather taken to night photography during these hot and clear months.

i am able to produce lovely web size images and prints to about 8x12....but no where near the size of a lot of my pieces at 20x30 or above.

its the noise.....i need about iso 2500 to
...Show more

What are you shooting with? Full frame vs "DX"...or what camera?

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:37 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · i am looking for some help

I’m a bit confused about your subject. If it is not moving, why not use your lowest ISO and a tripod with long exposures?

Morris

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:28 PM
drdrew
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · i am looking for some help

shooting with a d800e. need high iso to get pinpoint stars without trails.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · i am looking for some help

Your ISO can go much higher than that with minimal noise.

Look up some recent posts by Jim Fox here with his D800. He has been doing some great star shots with his D800 and seems to have mastered the noise issue.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM
mm767cap

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · i am looking for some help

Coming to the D800e from the 5D3. Honestly, on both cameras ISO 3200 is too noisy to print that large. You can't make a judgment about noise from a web sized image. You are simply running into the limits of the sensor. Heck, last winter shooting the D3S (noise king) in ideal (cold) conditions, I won't print those files larger than 16x24. They just simply don't hold up larger than that.

Here are your options:

Apply ample noise reduction. Best I've seen is actually in LR 4 and ACR 6/7. But it's a trade off... Apply a lot of reduction and you clean up the noise but you lose a lot of detail. It's a balancing act for sure.

You can also just accept some noise and not get too close to the print. I'd go much lighter on the Luminance Noise Reduction and heavier on Color Noise. I like the D800 noise MUCH better than the Canon. It looks like old film grain.

You can experiment with stacking images with a program like DSS. That allows you to shoot at a lower ISO and combine the images to create brighter stars. However, your FG will get blurred and weird, so you will need to blend sky and ground images.

You can buy an astro tracking device that will allow longer exposures without star trails. Same issues with the FG.

Don't worry. If you are doing dark frame subtraction, you are getting the best out of the camera. I personally won't print anything 20x30 at ISO over 1600.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM
mm767cap

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · i am looking for some help

Oh PS? Shoot the FG before it gets totally dark. ISO 100 for as long as you need to be properly exposed. Then wait an hour and shoot the stars. Then you can go heavy on the noise reduction in the sky while still keeping detail in the FG. Then blend.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · i am looking for some help

Check out this link:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0509/fv0509-1.html

Shooting at night is a challenge with the best of gear but rewarding when you get the results you want.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM
drdrew
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · i am looking for some help

thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.