Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Just curious what others are wishing for with a 5D3 firmware fix. I'll start:

Remap the damn zoom button so it's in the top right controls like it used to be. Having to constantly rotate your hand around to hit the set button makes me eventually not use this useful tool on long shoots. I know, this has been talked about before but hopefully if Canon reads it enough....

Here's a new one: Have the option when in liveview zoom mode to keep the entire image on the LCD and only have the zoomed in area enlarged on a focus point (albeit a bit larger sized square). This way you can frame the image correctly while having a single point zoomed in like a person's eyes that you can move around with the joystick. As it sits, when I use liveview zoom for focus, I'm guessing at framing because the whole LCD is showing the zoomed in image since it's often times not possible to zoom back out for framing purposes before taking the image (especially when shooting wide open during portraits and people are moving). This would be hugely useful.

Otherwise a few things like face recognition autofocus during video record, exposure compensation during auto ISO, fixing the focus point illumination are a few others.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:57 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Interesting list. I don't use LV except for landscape from a tripod and find it fine for that. I have never shot video.

For me I wish they would give more options for AF point illumination. I want an option to have the red backlight go on whenever I half press the shutter or press the AF-on button, regardless of lighting conditions.

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:18 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

I know it will never happen, but spot metering on selected AF point.

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:37 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

gvg45, you'd think with the vastly different cameras the 5D3 and 1Dx are (which I believe does do spot metering on the selected AF point) that they'd stop with the dumbing down of the 5 series features like this. We shall see...

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:42 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

I guess Canon needs to make sure they have enough "bells & whistles" on the 1DX to justify the added cost?

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

I want to be able to use HDR on a custom button...Getting into the menu every time I need to take a 2-3 shots is kinda stupid. They made so many custom-function buttons,but most are really useless!

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

cineski wrote:
Just curious what others are wishing for with a 5D3 firmware fix. I'll start:

Remap the damn zoom button so it's in the top right controls like it used to be. Having to constantly rotate your hand around to hit the set button makes me eventually not use this useful tool on long shoots. I know, this has been talked about before but hopefully if Canon reads it enough....

If you set it to instant jump to 100% view and to the SET button I actually find it better than the old way. (This doesn't work for video though where it remains awkward.)

Here's a new one: Have the option when in liveview zoom mode to keep the entire image on the LCD and only have the zoomed in area enlarged on a focus point (albeit a bit larger sized square). This way you can frame the image correctly while having a single point zoomed in like a person's eyes that you can move around with the joystick.

Yes and not only that allow this DURING video filming. It's impossible to focus during video. They MUST add this (and regular focus peaking). The camera is utterly crippled for video without these two.

exposure compensation during auto ISO

Yes this and removing the absurd 1/250th limit on the AutoISO AV min shutter speed setting.
It's gotten beyond ridiculous with Canon slowlllly dragging out a working AutoISO over a decade now. It's almost laughable to decide to dribble a working AutoISO out over like 10 generations as a purchase incentive. And you need to have just a tad more faith in your 1 series line if you actually think putting working AutoISO in lower end models would somehow kill off the 1 series! No it won't, not even a little. People buy 1 series for the 12fps and all that and nobody will spend $4000 just to get a brick to get autoiso that works, nobody.

In addition some zebra strips of flashing for video exposure would be nice.

They NEED to add two video crops modes, one a perfect non-line skipped 1920x1080 sharp 1.6x crop mode built on the 2x2 the C300 does. It's insane they didn't think to have this in there or that Canon marketing would be so petty. And a second stronger cropped mode.

It's far past time for them to stop being so absurdly stingy and segmented in ways that don't even lead to anything but grumpy customers and zero extra dollars in their poclets and/or just a tad bit more creative.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:23 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Also, 5DII allowed us to chose focusing points by looking at the top screen. That is not present with 5DIII and I don't know who at Canon was so "smart" to remove it. It was so nice to be able to switch points on the fly very fast.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:31 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

DmitriM wrote:
Also, 5DII allowed us to chose focusing points by looking at the top screen. That is not present with 5DIII and I don't know who at Canon was so "smart" to remove it. It was so nice to be able to switch points on the fly very fast.

Wouldn't that require a change in the top screen to support the 61 AF points? Might be also be a little crowded.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:46 PM
jcbenner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

It is more than a firmware fix, but a electronic level indication of "Level" would be nice inside the viewfinder.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gvg45
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

jcbenner wrote:
It is more than a firmware fix, but a electronic level indication of "Level" would be nice inside the viewfinder.

I dont use this feature often, but I thought there way a way to see that the camera is level inside the viewfinder?

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:54 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

jerrykur wrote:
Wouldn't that require a change in the top screen to support the 61 AF points? Might be also be a little crowded.

They can introduce at least something. Right now it's just shows whether it's in the center or not,which is not very useful as you don't know where it is and you need to look through the viewfinder.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

1.) Ability to set-up the viewfinder to mimic the old AF point/group illumination used by past 1D, 1Ds, and 5D series cameras (or as much as is possible given the existing hardware).

2.) Instead of the camera defaulting to the slowest inserted SD/CF card, enable camera to write to the speed of the card where the camera is recording data.

3.) Provide UDMA7 support for the SD card slot.

4.) USB 3 support and connectivity.

5.) The ability to record video at 60 fps/1080p instead of just 720p.

6.) Full, clean 1080p HDMI out and also available in Live View while recording.

7.) Increase the maximum burst from 18 consecutive photos when using a CompactFlash UDMA-7 card to something closer to the 7D (i.e. 26).

8.) Ability to continuously autofocus while recording video.

9.) Fix the ALL-I and IBP codec.

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:33 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Todd Klassy wrote:
1.) Ability to set-up the viewfinder to mimic the old AF point/group illumination used by past 1D, 1Ds, and 5D series cameras (or as much as is possible given the existing hardware).

I think they are trying but the HW is kind of a limitation.

3.) Provide UDMA7 support for the SD card slot.

not possible for a huge number of reasons

4.) USB 3 support and connectivity.

if it had HW to do 3.0 i'd think it would've come with that enabled (although I suppose you never do know)

5.) The ability to record video at 60 fps/1080p instead of just 720p.

likely a HW limitation

6.) Full, clean 1080p HDMI out and also available in Live View while recording.

I'm pretty sure this would be easily possible.

7.) Increase the maximum burst from 18 consecutive photos when using a CompactFlash UDMA-7 card to something closer to the 7D (i.e. 26).

It already is better than 18 with a Lexar 1000x.

8.) Ability to continuously autofocus while recording video.

not possible

9.) Fix the ALL-I and IBP codec.

hopefully possible, at the very least, I'm sure at least partially possible

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:03 PM
jcbenner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

gvg45 wrote:
I dont use this feature often, but I thought there way a way to see that the camera is level inside the viewfinder?

Sure enough. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

I wish they could adjust Av mode metering, lots of underexposures while that. Also i wish they could upgrade SD card slot do be faster.
Not related but I also I wish they could send some gift since we paid so much for this body, some $100 repair certificate will work, they did it before for mk III

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

skibum5, you addressed each of Todd's listed items except #2. I would think it's easily possible via FW update?
I would like to see that, because for me the SD card is usually for overflow auto-switch (which should allow full write speed to the CF unless and until the SD has to take over). Along with this change (enabling max write speed of the card actually in use), I want to be able to keep the CF card as the playback/review card when I pull and replace it. I've got a workaround, but the camera shouldn't automatically switch to card 2 each time card 1 is pulled. I should be able to make card 1 always the default.

The AF point visibility has been discussed to death in other threads, so I'll just say that I want the best options of illumination that can be provided without hardware overhaul.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

DmitriM wrote:
I want to be able to use HDR on a custom button...Getting into the menu every time I need to take a 2-3 shots is kinda stupid. They made so many custom-function buttons,but most are really useless!

Also make it more customizable and not only JPG's, optionally Tiff's would be better than now. HDR presets are mostly horrible, need more options there.

Edited on Jul 27, 2012 at 09:11 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Breitling65 wrote:
Not related but I also I wish they could send some gift since we paid so much for this body, some $100 repair certificate will work, they did it before for mk III

Now that would be nice!

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:07 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Firmware fix wish list for the 5D3

Photon wrote:
Now that would be nice!

I remember they did even on original 5D after you are registering your body with Canon. It was nice. If I remember correctly $50 on 5D and $100 on 1D mk III.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password