Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Correct Install of LR4

IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Correct Install of LR4

First time user of any lightrooms softwear. Also semi skilled computer usere, so please bear with me.(older generation) This will be used as a hobbist and not as a professional.

From my reading, I understand it's important to set up LR4 correctly when you initially install it on your computer, saving you greif down the road. With that said, I plan to install it on my SSD drive and export images to folders on my hard drive. I have two hard drives one to back up the other.

Further, I understand that lightroom only stores settings of the images, but not the image itself in the library section. I beleive in the Library is the Catalog where all the settings will be housed.
Also I read it 's better to have just one catalog to store all of your settings of the images you process through lightroom. So you would have folders within the catalog of different events.

Am I correct so far ? As I dont want to do any of this without checking first, that I understand what I read, as it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:25 PM
morthcam58

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Correct Install of LR4

I've read differing opinions on whether having a single or multiple catalogs is best -- I just have one but I'm like you, a hobbyist, so I'm not keeping track of thousands of images at scores of weddings.

I took a class that a local camera store organized to learn how to set up the LR library before I used it -- it was probably the smartest computer/photo thing I've ever done. You definitely don't want to blunder your way through LR (my usual method of learning software) and discover 2000 images later that you set it up all wrong....

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Correct Install of LR4

IndyFab, these questions will help us to help you...
do you capture raw files or just jpegs ?
How many do you have ?
Where are they stored ?
What software do you use now ?
Do you want to use anything but Lr in future ?
What brands of cameras have you used ?

- Alan

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:29 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #4 · Correct Install of LR4

IndyFab, these questions will help us to help you...
do you capture raw files or just jpegs ?
jeps presently, but raw once I begin using LR4

How many do you have ?
maybe a couple hundred a week

Where are they stored ?
I have two hard drives one is for back up

What software do you use now ?
Picasa

Do you want to use anything but Lr in future ?
I just picked up elements 10

What brands of cameras have you used ?
Canon

- Alan
Thanks Alan

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · Correct Install of LR4

You have it approximately right. One catalog seems is definitely best since it allows maximum power for searching for items in the catalog. You store your images in a conventional folder structure on your HD and "import" them into LR. Importing does nothing to the images but makes them known to the LR application and you them manage them from there. I am not sure what you mean about "exporting them to the HD". You only export images when you are sending them somewhere else, such as the web. You do not routinely export images when you are done processing them and they stay in the catalog.

Although a big feature of LR is the cataloging ability, you should arrange the HD folders in a logical way, independent of LR. Someday LR will be obsolete or you may decide to switch to something else. Whenever that time comes, your new approach may not be compatible with LR and you want to have some basic structure to how things are arranged on the disk.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:49 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Correct Install of LR4

IndyFab, it seems that you'll fit all of your images into a single catalog, so do so.

Lr has many ways to find and group images, including key wording that you assign to images, metadata that the camera included in each file (e.g. EXIF data such as date, time, camera, focal length, aperture, etc., etc.), ratings and labels that you can assign, and collections which are basically pretend-folders that you put the files into (although really the files do not move and are not copied, they just seem to be in those collections). There is also the folder structure on the drive(s). All this allows you to get things done even if you leave the images and folders where they are for the benefit of Picasa or Canons DPP.

Just remember that once you start using Lr to manage the files you should only use Lr to relocate them or else you will break the links between the files and you catalog.

It pays to have all images under a single parent folder on case you need to re-establish broken links in future. This folder need not be the root folder and it can have subfolders as you desire.

You can have a folder for each event but not everything fits into events. Those events can be arranged via collections and/or key words no matter where the files are stored.

Also be aware that Lr generally does notedit the files bu rather keeps track of the edits you want to apply and applies them on the fly or build a new preview. This is usually very efficient in terms of file management and pretty safe but other software may never see the Lr edits. Lr can export files but this has a special meaning. It applies the edits and builds a brand new file. It is different from the original file. If the original is a new file then the exported file will not be a raw, but more likely a jpg or tif. Do not export files if you simply want to make backups. For that you can get outside of Lr and copy your image files and also the Lr catalog (after closing Lr).

I keep my Lr catalog backed up multiple times and my images too. I do not use Lr .xmp files, so that Lr works faster. I do not convert my files to .dng files because I want my raw files available to present and future software other than Lr (such as DPP from Canon or View NX from Nikon) that cannot handle .dng, and I don't want to lock in raw conversions to today's standard software. A .dng file with enclosed raw file is twice as big as the raw file.

You'll need to establish a useful and meaningful way to utilise the star ratings and colour labels in Lr. It can be very helpful but it pays to think about it so that wont need to change the ratings later on when you change your mind.

- Alan

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:14 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #7 · Correct Install of LR4

mhayes, thanks for your input, when I said exporting them to HD, i was referring moving the image out of LR and to a folder on the HD

IndyFab, it seems that you'll fit all of your images into a single catalog, so do so.
Perfect

Lr has many ways to find and group images, including key wording that you assign to images, metadata that the camera included in each file (e.g. EXIF data such as date, time, camera, focal length, aperture, etc., etc.), ratings and labels that you can assign, and collections which are basically pretend-folders that you put the files into (although really the files do not move and are not copied, they just seem to be in those collections). There is also the folder structure on the drive(s). All this allows you to get things done even if you leave the images and folders where they are for the benefit of Picasa or Canons DPP.
I was aware of that Great

Just remember that once you start using Lr to manage the files you should only use Lr to relocate them or else you will break the links between the files and you catalog.
Will keep that in mind.

It pays to have all images under a single parent folder on case you need to re-establish broken links in future. This folder need not be the root folder and it can have subfolders as you desire.
Understand

You can have a folder for each event but not everything fits into events. Those events can be arranged via collections and/or key words no matter where the files are stored.
Gotcha

Also be aware that Lr generally does notedit the files bu rather keeps track of the edits you want to apply and applies them on the fly or build a new preview. This is usually very efficient in terms of file management and pretty safe but other software may never see the Lr edits. Lr can export files but this has a special meaning. It applies the edits and builds a brand new file. It is different from the original file. If the original is a new file then the exported file will not be a raw, but more likely a jpg or tif. Do not export files if you simply want to make backups. For that you can get outside of Lr and copy your image files and also the Lr catalog (after closing Lr).
Ok, but am not familiar with what tif is.

I keep my Lr catalog backed up multiple times and my images too. I do not use Lr .xmp files, so that Lr works faster. I do not convert my files to .dng files because I want my raw files available to present and future software other than Lr (such as DPP from Canon or View NX from Nikon) that cannot handle .dng, and I don't want to lock in raw conversions to today's standard software. A .dng file with enclosed raw file is twice as big as the raw file.
When you say multiple times are you refering to frequency or copies. Also dont know what .xmp files are
Understood

You'll need to establish a useful and meaningful way to utilise the star ratings and colour labels in Lr. It can be very helpful but it pays to think about it so that wont need to change the ratings later on when you change your mind.
Confirmed

- Alan
Thanks again Alan

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:47 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #8 · Correct Install of LR4

Would like to add just bought two books on LR4, one by Kelby and the other by Victoria Bampton, the missing FAQ's

Also the library and develop module DVD by George Jardine..

This should keep me busy for awhile, to get my head wrapped around LR4 as a noob..

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:21 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password