Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Butherfly at 3x

DeVil
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Butherfly at 3x

Butherfly at 3x ( x 1.6 crop factor)

MP-E65, 600D, MT-24EX, 7 frames focus stacking using CombineZP, hand held (f/6.3, 1/200, ISO 100)

crop

crop 2

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Butherfly at 3x

very nice series devil.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Statitica
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Butherfly at 3x

Gnarly (in an extremely good way).

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:37 PM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Butherfly at 3x

great stack

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Butherfly at 3x

Really great sharp image. Could you go into a little detail on how you personally take stacks like this by hand? Like, are you lying on the ground? Standing while propping your camera against something for stability? Moving the camera or using the focus ring?

I spent an entire day trying to focus stack butterflies handheld with just a 1X macro lens getting less the stellar results, so I really have no clue how people do it with the MP-E65. Wish I could actually watch someone with this type of skill in person.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:22 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Butherfly at 3x

Lovely stack
Brian v.

Jul 28, 2012 at 06:53 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Butherfly at 3x

nicely done devil

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DeVil
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Butherfly at 3x

Thank you all!

Mr Grimm wrote:
Could you go into a little detail on how you personally take stacks like this by hand? Like, are you lying on the ground? Standing while propping your camera against something for stability? Moving the camera or using the focus ring?

-For this shot I was on my knees (I'm wearing construction knee pads for protection) and rest my hand on the concrete fence so the stability is like with a tripod. And then I just move the lens forward-backward. There are slight differences between photos but the stacking software CombineZP aligned them very well

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:49 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Butherfly at 3x

Mr Grimm wrote:
Really great sharp image. Could you go into a little detail on how you personally take stacks like this by hand? Like, are you lying on the ground? Standing while propping your camera against something for stability? Moving the camera or using the focus ring?

I spent an entire day trying to focus stack butterflies handheld with just a 1X macro lens getting less the stellar results, so I really have no clue how people do it with the MP-E65. Wish I could actually watch someone with this type of skill in person.

+1

and even a hint of wind or the insect moving a little and....

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:07 PM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Butherfly at 3x

Beautiful macro shot!

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM
DeVil
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Butherfly at 3x

Thanks @rocco61

skibum5 wrote:
and even a hint of wind or the insect moving a little and....

Yes, there are many annoying factors and now it's on us to reduce they numbers

for example
-I take photos of butterfly with MP-E65 only early in the morning cause insects are cold-blooded and they can't move until they get heated by the sun.The benefits for waking up early in the morning could be the dew drops on insects that can provide the selective magnification like on this butherfly (on eye) and that's looks cool

Butterfly in dew drops by DeVil__, on Flickr

-Sometimes holding the branch with insect (and resting mp-e65 on hand) will reduce moving caused by the wind and help focusing by moving branch forward-backward.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Butherfly at 3x

Very interesting set and a lot of patience displayed.

Thanks for sharing your perspective of macro imaging.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Butherfly at 3x

Thanks for the info Devil. After about 2 hours of shooting that weekend, I realized that my best results were earlier on in the day. I just made a deal with the local butterfly sanctuary and they will be letting me in before regular public hours. Should be great! Hopefully you'll soon see me posting nice butterfly images on the forums. Thanks again.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password