New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

Picked up a used 100-300mm FD to try on my Olympus OMD E5. Just tinkering around the house the image quality is nice but getting used to the controls is a little puzzling.

I know with the EF/EF-S lenses you have to preset the aperture on a Canon Body or shoot wide open. But with the FD lenses, does the manual aperture ring work?

I tried shooting in manual and aperture mode but it seems as if the exposure compensation is adjusted. Do I need to adjust the settings until the exposure compensation is zero?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Oh...I'm using a Fotodiox adapter.

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:14 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

IF you see the exposure adjusting its all good !
You will notice that closing down the aperture, the shutter time will increase.
Use Av mode and choose the maximum aperture available on the lens set on the camera.

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:57 PM
JeffG
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

the fotodiox ring has a ring on it. says lock and something else.

at the something else setting (sorry too lazy to look it up atm), the aperture is wide open making it easier to focus and compose. when you turn it to lock, the aperture is stopped down to what you have chosen so you can meter and set shutter speed.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:21 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

Thanks...

I was curious about the lock and open ring on the Fotodiox. I've forgotten how nice these older lenses are. It'll be fun taking it out this weekend for a test drive. I just hope my old eyes can focus worth a damn.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 100-300mm FD on the OMD

Okay... I'm impressed in both the OMD and the Canon 100-300mm FD.

It's been over twenty-five years since I manually focused moving objects and I figured a hummingbird would not only test my focusing abilities but also the OMD's abilities.

Could have gone with a slightly faster shutter speed and I did have my fair share of out-of-focus shots but there were a few keepers. This is the first that popped out when checking out the thumbnails.

Oh.. and it was neat shooting these guys with the EVF. The slight lag time slowed down their wings speed a little and making just watching these speedsters fun.

Jul 28, 2012 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.