Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My Nex-7 Lineup

snowshark13

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Nex-7 Lineup

About 6 months ago I had a Canon 5D2, 24-105, 50 1.4 and 135 2.0 as my setup. What I realized is that I didn't take as many pictures due to the size of my setup. So I started the process to go smaller and thought the T3i would be my solution. It was better, but the lenses and body were still (in my opinion) on the big side so it wasn't getting used as much as I would like.

That made me look at alternative solutions and I settled on the Nex-7 with the 50 1.8. I absolutely fell in love with the camera right away. Perfect size and the images were close to being on par with my 5D2. The issue was that I missed the autofocus of my DSLR...so I returned my original Nex-7 and tried the A65 (same chip). I felt that the image quality of the A65 was not the same as the Nex-7 so I did more research and looked at my pictures taken with my original Nex-7.

So my conclusion was to buy the Nex-7 and the 50 1.8 again. I've added an 85 2.8 with the LA-EA2 adapter to give me autofocus speed to keep up with my daughter when needed. And I'll be adding a Sigma 19 2.8 for when I need to go wide.

So my Nex-7 lineup for the primary purpose of family pictures is this:

Sony 50 1.8 OSS - This is a great walk-around lens and will be on my camera 70% of the time.
Sony 85 2.8 (plus adapter) - This is for when we are outside and I want action shots (about 20%) of the time.
Sigma 19 2.8 - This is for those times that I need something wide, which isn't often. I really do like 50mm for focal length on my crop.

The great thing about this setup is that my wife now likes to use it and I'm in a lot more photos with my daughter!!!

Oh, and I got the Domke F-8 for my bag which is perfect for this setup!

The only thing left is to decide on a flash.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:38 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Nex-7 Lineup

Please don't flash us.
Glad you're happy with the setup.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Nex-7 Lineup

The 85/2.8's a real gem on the NEX-7. I use it on the LA-EA1 adapter all the time (I don't really use AF, so I don't need the LA-EA2 for better performance).

Personally my current everyday kit is the ZA E 24/1.8, either the Sony DT 50/1.8 SAM or a Nikkor 50/1.8 AI (the longnose version) and the Sony 85/2.8, I had the 50/1.8 OSS but didn't like the rendering. It's a superb lens otherwise, but too Leica for me, I found I preferred the rendering of the otherwise inferior DT 50/1.8 SAM, at least until I can swing another Zeiss 50.

As to a flash, go for the FVL-20AM, it's small, inexpensive, reasonably powerful for its size and can command wirelessly.

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:16 AM
snowshark13

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Nex-7 Lineup

Thanks for the flash recommendation. I am leaning towards that one, but saw a used F58 for $300 in the for sale section...but I like the size of the 20 and I don't use flash a lot. So I'll probably end up with the 20 to keep it portable.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:56 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Nex-7 Lineup

snowshark13 wrote:
Thanks for the flash recommendation. I am leaning towards that one, but saw a used F58 for $300 in the for sale section...but I like the size of the 20 and I don't use flash a lot. So I'll probably end up with the 20 to keep it portable.

Grab the F58 anyways if you can afford it, it's too big to use comfortably on the 7 but you can command it with the F20, which will give you a lot more flexibility in lighting. $300 is a steal for the F58

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Nex-7 Lineup

hvl-43am is small and hast the latest wireless controller.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:18 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Nex-7 Lineup

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
hvl-43am is small and hast the latest wireless controller.

The 43 is small only in comparison to the 58, it's actually larger than the NEX-7 body. The 20 however is about half the size of the 43 as the 20 was designed as the 'pop-up' flash for the A900 and it also has the latest wireless controller.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Nex-7 Lineup

For another alternative for the flash:

I got a cheap Polaroid PL108AF-S for fifty bucks, and it's great. It's a relabeled Metz 24, as far as I can tell. A bit more powerful than the little Sony, with the better recycling and battery life that comes from two AA, rather than AAA, batteries. I don't want or need anything very full featured for an onboard NEX flash -- just enough for a decent bounce, and which I can use as an optical trigger if I want a little extra from an external flash. No wireless features, or much of anything else -- just an on/off switch, and basic compensation controls from the body.

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Nex-7 Lineup

mawz wrote:
The 43 is small only in comparison to the 58, it's actually larger than the NEX-7 body. The 20 however is about half the size of the 43 as the 20 was designed as the 'pop-up' flash for the A900 and it also has the latest wireless controller.

ahh alright for the nex-7, the 20 is perfect

the 43 has ratio which the nex-7 doesn't seem to support.
http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp_setups.php

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:00 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Nex-7 Lineup

Has anybody used PW Plus III triggers with a NEX-7? There must be some sort of adapter available, no?

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:38 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Nex-7 Lineup

I am interested in the flash triggers for the nex7 as well, thanks

Jul 28, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Nex-7 Lineup

I use modified YongNuo RF-603 triggers, but if I were starting from scratch (rather than adapting what I've got), I'd probably try the Pixel Kings.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Nex-7 Lineup

corposant wrote:
Has anybody used PW Plus III triggers with a NEX-7? There must be some sort of adapter available, no?

You can buy expensive Sony adapters, rare Minolta adapters or cheap chinese adapters, all to get a standard hotshoe (and in some cases also a PC Sync port). Reliability is pretty much in that order.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:34 AM
joychris
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Nex-7 Lineup

I used the Pixel hotshoe adapter with Cactus V5 triggers on the Nex7, worked flawlessly, but it was full manual...

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:23 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Nex-7 Lineup

joychris wrote:
I used the Pixel hotshoe adapter with Cactus V5 triggers on the Nex7, worked flawlessly, but it was full manual...

I just picked up the Pixel hotshoe adapter, and I can't seem to get the flash to fire (in manual) whether on the hotshoe or connected via a PC cable. Is there some setting in the menus that gets some current going through the hotshoe or something?

edit: nevermind. f'ing sony menus...

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:55 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password