Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tablet Question

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tablet Question

I'm thinking I want a Tablet to put photos to share with family and friends. Until now I've been printing 11x14s and carrying a portfolio around.
I don't know that I'd be using it for much more than storing processed photos for sharing.
Any suggestions as to size, brand, type, memory, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Rod

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:32 PM
farski
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Tablet Question

The retina iPad is pretty much unmatched in terms of image quality on tablets at this point. Get one with as much storage as you think you'll need and you should be happy. The Nexus 7 is a very good device, but I can't imaging trying to show photos on it; the screen is just too small.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #3 · Tablet Question

farski wrote:
The retina iPad is pretty much unmatched in terms of image quality on tablets at this point. Get one with as much storage as you think you'll need and you should be happy. The Nexus 7 is a very good device, but I can't imaging trying to show photos on it; the screen is just too small.

So right now at this moment iPad is still on top of all these tablets?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Tablet Question

The nice thing about an iPad is the number of photographic apps that are available for it.

If you have a good imagination and have a facility with computers then the amount of available software will appeal to you. Most of the apps are very reasonably priced.

There are a ton of photographic designated apps including contract software if you are a professional doing contract work.

I am not aware of any other "iPad type" device that is that competitive.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

broncoholic
• •
p.1 #5 · Tablet Question

Rumors of a mini iPad coming in October have been all over the Internet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120825/confirmed-new-ipad-mini-will-debut-in-october-after-latest-iphones-september-bow/

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Tablet Question

farski wrote:

+1 on the Ipad3 . great device , it is the best device to hand round the family to show off your images.
+1 on as much storage as possible. I had a 32gig ipad 2 that I could fill really easily. my 64gig ipad3 is better.

But I have since found a great little device that allows me to send images from the ipad to the device to free up room . its called AIRSTASH . for what it does it works a charm .while there are many devices thats send images and others stuff to an ipad there are very few ways to send images from an ipad that dont involve a PC/Mac, and the airstash takes any SD card i want to put in it. it also works well on android so the only downside to the Nexus 7 in the small amount of storage available (8 or 16gig) is a slightly offset .

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Tablet Question

martines34 wrote:
The nice thing about an iPad is the number of photographic apps that are available for it.

If you have a good imagination and have a facility with computers then the amount of available software will appeal to you. Most of the apps are very reasonably priced.

There are a ton of photographic designated apps including contract software if you are a professional doing contract work.

I am not aware of any other "iPad type" device that is that competitive.

yep there are soo many Photo Apps . most are pretty good, none will do everything you want (which can be a real pain)

Apples own iphoto is one of the best. but it will also make you mad. why it wont let you create albums from within the app itself (you have to create and move stuff in the standard photo app) is just stupid. and why it only lets you export 1 image at a time back to the camera roll is another maddening 'feature' (it lets you export many images to other sources so it should be able to to the camera roll) .
but the iphoto also does some great things as well. the journals feature is great (although more control over that wouldnt go amiss) .

But all that said , i dont think anything else stands up to the ipad when it comes to usabilty. I bought my daughter a Xoom2 which is a great tablet. but its just not upto the ipad. And yes there maybe better than the xoom2 (which i got a real good price) like the Transformer Prime and Galaxy Tab, but if I was paying the same (or more ) than the ipad for those I would choose the ipad.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:37 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Tablet Question

I would focus on the software. Make sure the app you get lets you the things you want. It is pretty amazing that some apps do not do basic things like let you specify the order in which images are displayed. Instead they display on last date updated, file name, or some other crazy setting. Also make sure you can do albums and if possible share images across albums.

As far as hardware goes, the new iPad has a great screen. Your storage requirement depend on what you are displaying and how much. I ensure my slide shows are not too long since most people do not want to see more than a dozen or two images in an album. Because of this I find that storage is not too big of an issue for still images. If you plan on dropping in video clips then storage is more of a concern, but most people only want to see short segments of video. I have a 32 GB new iPad and have tons of spare space.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password