Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Matt Hoffart
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Hello all, I am not the photographer (or model) of these images. I am posting on behalf of someone so they can receive some outside prospective the set. Comments and critique very appreciated. Please and thank you in advance!

Edited on Jul 26, 2012 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM
bwalwork
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New nude model. (NSFW)

You'd better label this post NSFW!

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Matt Hoffart
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Sorry, forgot to add that! Nice catch! C&C still very welcome.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New nude model. (NSFW)

These are just bad.

Start over from sq. 1

They should learn lighting
Metering of lighting
Mixing of lighting
Posing
Composition
Editing
etc....

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:30 PM
Matt Hoffart
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Thank you for your thoughts Pfiltz.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:33 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New nude model. (NSFW)

The less clothes, the harder it is to do well. The photographer should learn the basics of studio photography and master them before attempting nudes, etc.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:47 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Not good at all,

+1 on Pfitz

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
David Levett
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Agreed to all, lighting is dreadful.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Matt Hoffart
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Thank's for the comments everyone!

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Geo31
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New nude model. (NSFW)

General:

Lighting: Flat. So flat it appears to be non-existent, i.e., uncontrolled and not well selected. In other words, you can certainly use natural and indirect light, but choose well.

Exposure: Seem to be a tad under-exposed. That combined with the flat lighting simply makes the images "muddy." Some of this can be corrected in post production.

Post production: There appears to be none. Adjust the curves. Brightness. Contrast. Color balance. Seriously. Whites are supposed to be white, not grey.

I don't think the posing is so bad. A little cliche, but despite what some would like to say, that's somewhat common here. It's OK, but some things work OK or are even classic. The details are important though. These poses are an OK start. The other "mistakes" make the uninspired poses just something else to complain about. Watch the model's foot and hand placement.

Details in the composition: Come on. The lack of attention to detail makes these images nearly snapshots. The black velvet is fine for a background, BUT, it doesn't cover everything. Come on. So amateur it says "snapshot." Just doesn't cut it.

One last comment... The model's expressions say "bored" to me. There are lots of emotions that can be conveyed. For starting out, I'd highly recommend trying to have the model look happy. It may be a little cliche, but it's a good place to start.

These have a lot of problems, but still are not what I would call horrible. I suspect both the model and photographer were hoping for more. Take care of some technical issues, pay attention to details, and do some post production and these could become a good start.

Personally, I'd at least recommend taking each one of these images and really work the post production and repost them. It might help some folks provide meaningful feedback.

Don't worry about your images being somewhat cliche or whatever at the start. There is a reason certainly types are images are so common. They are relatively easy to execute and a good starting point to learn and experiment from.

Good luck.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:45 AM

Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New nude model. (NSFW)

When I see a group of images like this - or any images for that matter, I'm always asking myself - why did someone decide to make these photographs. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, but in this case, I don't have a clue. There doesn't seem to be a reason for the photos or the props, as they are, and moreover, she looks like she's in pain, and not in a good way - like she couldn't be more uncomfortable wearing part of the garden.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:10 AM
Geo31
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Peter Figen wrote:
When I see a group of images like this - or any images for that matter, I'm always asking myself - why did someone decide to make these photographs. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, but in this case, I don't have a clue. There doesn't seem to be a reason for the photos or the props, as they are, and moreover, she looks like she's in pain, and not in a good way - like she couldn't be more uncomfortable wearing part of the garden.

Come on, that's kinda harsh. I've seen images not too different here before that have been praised. It's just that the execution was much better. I really think they are a good place to start but the execution is seriously lacking.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:38 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New nude model. (NSFW)

A different perspective, the model is sweet and courageous to make these shots. IMO, this is a decent start. The general theme in #1 is admirable, and with practice it will improve dramatically as the model gets more comfortable and the photog gains more experience. Ditto for #2.Two quick suggestions would be to have simpler and less distracting pillows and black sheet.

Not many folks have the opportunity/desire/cojones to take and post shots of this nature. Who knows what these shots may mean to someone 30 years from now, so keep it up. Sometimes "snapshots" end up being very meaningful as life unfolds.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New nude model. (NSFW)

"Come on, that's kinda harsh. I've seen images not too different here before that have been praised."

Nah, not too harsh. If there are similar images that have been praised, they shouldn't have been. One of the problems here is that even outright crap is praised, either because the praisers don't want to offend or simply don't know any better.

"Not many folks have the opportunity/desire/cojones to take and post shots of this nature."

And apparently neither did the photographer, as the original poster says he's posting for someone else - just to get an opinion.

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:28 AM
Geo31
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Nothing like stomping on someone's work so hard they never want to post again Peter. Nice job.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
DavidWainbow

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Suggest to your friend that they try using a softer light to remove the "greasy" looking glare from her face. And direct the light so that it's not hitting her face head-on, but rather from the side. This should increase the depth of the shot. The lighting in shot 1 is not too bad but the composition is pretty boring, and the model doesn't look too comfortable either.

I like something about shot 1, it kind of makes me think of a sleazy motel, or a scene from a retro grind-house movie. Though I doubt that was what the photographer was going for.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New nude model. (NSFW)

I dont want to say anything about the quality of these photos, it's all been said already. However, I would like to make a suggestion. Perhaps it would be more productive if your friend chose one style of photo and worked on getting that correct before moving on. It doesn't do any good to just shoot a group of bad photos and post them on the web so that others can tear them apart. Post one shot and ask for specific judgements such as lighting, style, posing, etc. Then go back and reshoot while trying to correct your techniques. Of course this will only work if you have a model willing to work with you. They don't have to be nudes to learn so that should make it easier to find willing models. If you had to make all of the changes on all of the photos you submitted at one time you would probably put your camera up for sale. Tell your friend to take the time to learn to do it right and it will be a lot more fun. Photography at that level is a hobby and a hobby is something to enjoy. No one enjoys being bashed by a bunch of much more experienced photographers.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New nude model. (NSFW)

Geo31 wrote:
Nothing like stomping on someone's work so hard they never want to post again Peter. Nice job.

I read nothing at all wrong with Peter's comments. They are honest and to the point. All of these images are GWC at best. However your details of why are more helpful in the sense of what to do. Bottom line is these are nothing different than anyone with a camera can do.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Matt Hoffart
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New nude model. (NSFW)

I think harsh criticism is the best kind regardless, I posted this thread for someone to gain prospective on the images to try and help them out with their future endeavors in this industry. The images are not mine.

The person in these photographs is an "inspiring" model. She thought this photo shoot was "spectacular". I pretty much told her exactly what all of you are saying, but it wasn't enough. Hence the reason for posting this thread so she can gain more prospective on what is actually going on.

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:21 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New nude model. (NSFW)

help them out by letting them look at this forum for some time to see how others handle this type posing,,

agree with the comments, start over,,

Derry

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password