New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Quality of the bokeh looks a lot smoother in the chain shot. Much larger subject to background distance of course but glad to see its not quite as busy as the earlier shots.

Hows the close focus distance across the zoom range ?

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:10 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Very good close focus ability. 0.25m across the whole range. You can get quite close. The lens isn't ultra sharp at MFD, but it's not bad either. Definitely sharpest a little further away.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Comparing the 12-35 to the PL 25mm, both at f2.8, the 12-35 is very good. Some shots would be difficult to determine which one I used without the exit data. Pretty impressive. The 25mm mark on the zoom ring is actually a little wider based on images from my PL 25.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

fwiw (not my test):

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/25m43/index.htm

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Pretty funny how the zoom produced better bokeh than the P20 prime.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Thanks for the review Jordan, I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

I doubt this is going to find its way into my bag, primarily because of cost and carrying a few primes is so easy with MFT
cameras.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Yeah, I won't be buying the lens, though today will be a perfect test. I'll be indoors shooting family stuff at our science center (COSI), and a fast zoom should be a great use. I'll try and post a few pics tonight.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Took it out for some family type stuff today at our science center. Bad light, variable range needed, and it performed really well. Most of the shots aren't exactly 'post worthy', since they were mostly family snapshots, but here are a couple.

Poseidon (22mm, 1/13s handheld...using OM-D's IBIS, not the OIS):
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/poseidon.jpg

Playing checkers (super dark and horrible light...deep amber light source). This is at ISO 6400 an 19mm:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/checkers.jpg

And one of my daughter outside. (35mm, f/2.8)
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/chloe_ball.jpg

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Image quality: Excellent at 35mm f/2.8, good at 12mm f/2.8 and quite good at 12mm f/5.6.

A bit disappointing IMHO.

FlyPenFly wrote:
I wonder if Oly will convert some of their pro lenses out to MFT.

I want a 12-50/2.8-4 which is sharp wide open.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

After shooting with it a bit more, it is better at 12mm than I previously assessed. It's really very good throughout the range wide open.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Jman13 wrote:
After shooting with it a bit more, it is better at 12mm than I previously assessed. It's really very good throughout the range wide open.

Come on man! Be serious. You can't put people on the seesaw like that. People's money and welfare depends on what you say so be careful.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Yakim Peled wrote:
Come on man! Be serious. You can't put people on the seesaw like that. People's money and welfare depends on what you say so be careful.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Wait for my full review. This thread was started as a 'first impressions'. I noted right off that I needed to do a lot more shooting with the lens. Anyone who buys something based on a first impression is asking for it. My full, in-depth review will be done later this week. I've done a good bit of shooting with the lens now, and I'll be doing a little more tomorrow, then writing the review probably Tuesday and Wednesday.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Jman13 wrote:

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jman13 wrote:
Wait for my full review. This thread was started as a 'first impressions'...

Yeah - cut him some slack, Sarge!

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:40 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Yakim Peled wrote:

I hope that you simply forgot to put a smiley at the end of your post...

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Yakim Peled wrote:

+100!

I already decided to buy one based on the old "good but not great at 12mm" statement, and now you tell me that it is even better than that? What am I going to do with that info, please be more careful in the future!

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Anyway...did the product shots for the review today...haven't cloned out dust and such (and the grip does gather dust). It's not a small lens for m4/3, but it's small compared to other f/2.8 standard zooms. On the E-M5 with horizontal grip, it feels more like a small SLR than a compact mirrorless camera, but I guess that's to be expected.

Oh, and by the way...if anyone has been wanting wireless radio triggers for off camera flash, but didn't want to spend the bucks for RadioPoppers or Pocket Wizards...check out Cowboy Studio's FM radio triggers. $28 for the transmitter and two receivers (or $22 for transmitter with one receiver). Four channels, work at good distances, and I haven't had a single missfire. You can get them on Amazon. Don't know how well they'll hold up (they don't feel expensive, but at this price, I'll be happy if they last a year or so...I can buy more if they fail from time to time. ) Obviously if you were a working pro who needed the best in reliability, I would probably spend the money on PWs, but for a hobbyist who uses off camera strobes occasionally, it's awesome!

On E-M5:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/em5_1235-2.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/em5_1235-1.jpg

At 12mm:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/1235_12.jpg

At 35mm:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/1235_35.jpg

On GX1:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/gx1_1235.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/gx1_1235-2.jpg

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:00 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

I know the OM-D is a small camera, but damn if those shots don't make it look like a beefy DSLR with a 24-70 on it

Lucky for my wallet I have zero interest in this range when it comes to zooms. Now the 35-100, that's a different story. I just wish Olympus would push out a "sports zoom" and not Panasonic, so that it'll be smaller without all the OIS stuff added to it and I'll just use the OM-D's IBIS (when I get the camera in next week hopefully).

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

AhamB wrote:
I hope that you simply forgot to put a smiley at the end of your post...

I didn't. I thought the irony was obvious. After all, I'm not exactly new here...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Irony is never obvious in print. Speaking, we can infer from tone of voice, but in print you only have the words to go on. Thus the development of the emoticon.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Panasonic 12-35mm first impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Irony is never obvious in print. Speaking, we can infer from tone of voice, but in print you only have the words to go on. Thus the development of the emoticon.

From experience, it is noticeable most of the times when it's so exaggerated. Maybe I should have exaggerated a bit more as it's obvious that it was not clear enough for you. But never mind. I think it's quite clear by now.

And if - by any stretch of chance - you have been offended, please let me apologize.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password