Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print
  
 
MN_Migrant
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


Hi forum,

I'm curious to know what the prevailing thoughts are among this wedding photographer community regarding the sales of digital downloads vs. prints.

I use Zenfolio to proof my images and handle any print sales. Zenfolio permits us to offer digital downloads under various license types (i.e., print use, web use, royalty free personal and commercial use) and we control the image resolution. I think there are positives and negatives to this model. As I see it, the positives include: I can price the files to net more profit than a print, there are no shipping costs for buyers, and they get the file immediately. The downside of this model is that you no longer have control of how the image is used.

Am I overlooking something? I'm wondering what others think about this. Thanks for the input.



Jul 26, 2012 at 04:17 PM
hardlyboring
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


I still send a DVD and my clients are permitted to print up to 8x10 per the contract. The files that go to zenfolio are sized for an 8x10 print max.

I occasionally turn it on if someone needs a file real quick for something. I do not rely on print sales so having the ability to let them download the file is great because it saves me time.



Jul 26, 2012 at 04:48 PM
maxwell1295
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


hardlyboring wrote:
I still send a DVD and my clients are permitted to print up to 8x10 per the contract. The files that go to zenfolio are sized for an 8x10 print max.

I occasionally turn it on if someone needs a file real quick for something. I do not rely on print sales so having the ability to let them download the file is great because it saves me time.


I do this as well only I deliver images on a flash drive instead of a DVD.



Jul 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM
MN_Migrant
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


hardlyboring wrote:
I do not rely on print sales so having the ability to let them download the file is great because it saves me time.


This is precisely why I'm interested in pursing this route. Thanks, Doug.



Jul 26, 2012 at 06:24 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


MN_Migrant wrote:
I'm curious to know what the prevailing thoughts are among this wedding photographer community regarding the sales of digital downloads vs. prints.


I sell both digital downloads and prints. Client chooses which they want. I've NEVER actually sold a digital download. They don't sell.



Jul 26, 2012 at 09:12 PM
mshi
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


I don't do individual prints anymore. My full-rez digital negatives are priced at $65 each if each order is 30 files and up.


Jul 27, 2012 at 01:57 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling: Digital download vs. Print


mshi wrote:
My full-rez digital negatives are priced at $65 each


I charge $5 for a full-rez digital download. Haven't sold a one. Maybe if I drop to $4 or $3 sales will pick up.



Jul 27, 2012 at 02:10 AM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password