Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · WANTED - Your professional advice

thierryl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WANTED - Your professional advice

I have been photographing people steadily for the past year or so.. I have improve a MASSIVE amount since I originally started.. However, I can not seem to improve what so ever in one vital aspect of portrait photography and that is posing people, specifically couples. I am constantly viewing other's work I envy, reading, watching video recorded shoots, etc and gaining knowledge about photography but it feels like as soon as I go out to photograph a couple, everything I have learned about posing people and such just goes out the window and I just draw a blank. It is quite embarrassing sometimes when I have to stop and think what I want to do. In situations where I draw a blank I always resort to "Be natural" or "Just love each other, have fun" etc etc. I am getting increasingly frustrated with myself. I feel like I have hit a brick wall and for months now I have been struggling with trying to pose people and it is holding me back from improving as a whole and I find it hard to fulfill my creative ideas on a shoot when I can not simply pose someone. Is there any advice anyone can give me? Did it take you a long time to learn how to comfortably pose people?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Contrary, I understand some people will want to flame me as well, feel free to do so.

Some of my work can be found on my facebook (I am in the middle of updating my site): http://www.facebook.com/thierrylylesphotography

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WANTED - Your professional advice

Get some friends who are couples or who want to act as couples and take them to a couple places and just try things out. I've done that a few times and I've noticed my creativity is starting to flow better now and I'm getting better at "seeing" the pose before I set the couple/person up.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:56 PM
thierryl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WANTED - Your professional advice

Scott Mosher wrote:
Get some friends who are couples or who want to act as couples and take them to a couple places and just try things out. I've done that a few times and I've noticed my creativity is starting to flow better now and I'm getting better at "seeing" the pose before I set the couple/person up.

Appreciate it! I like how you worded "getting better at "seeing" the pose before I set the couple/person up." that is EXACTLY what I gotta really work on. Great advice!

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:59 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WANTED - Your professional advice

Take a gander at this: http://blog.kitfphoto.com/Zeltsman/index.html

It's a formal portrait posing guide. Don't worry about the pictures, they are old, but the posing advice is good.

Practice posing with a couple people who won't mind being guinea pigs for a couple sessions and practice posing with them. Get comfortable with the poses and directing people. Most people don't know anything about posing and they need you to put them where you need them to be.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WANTED - Your professional advice

I have never read a book on posing.

But I took Tanja Lipperts light walk class in 2011 at WPPI and she hinted at some of her Art of Directing tips.

My friend took her class, and in trade for learning how to use flash, she talk me how to work with clients using many of the techniques from the T&T Dynamite workshop. And now, without question, I'm entirely comfortable directing couples whether it be a family session, engagement or wedding.

http://tandtdynamiteworkshops.blogspot.com/

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:02 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WANTED - Your professional advice

Just print out a bunch of different poses that you like. Put them in your little work book and refer to that before a shoot and during your down time...make that part of your learning process...memorize those poses and soon they'll be a part of your normal process. That will be your starting point and move forward from there. Classes are good to learn choice of background, how the photographer talks to and relates to his subjects.

Getting them comfortable and trusting in YOU is the key. Knowing what looks good and what doesn't is important depending on your style. Posing your couples should look natural. In every shoot you'll have winner and loser images. Delete the losers and keep your winners !

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:35 PM
larhouser
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WANTED - Your professional advice

All good advise so far!

Just for the record taking a moment to visualize a shot isn't the end of the world. "Just a sec I'm going to set up this shot" while you look for the angle isn't going to ruin their impression of you - just say it in a relaxed tone and set it up.

Building on what Marti said - when I was a musician just starting out we learned scales and then played songs that other people had written. Once you got a feel for the 'patterns' and theory you could start writing your own stuff. Same thing with posing people I'd say - copy, learn, personalize.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password