Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Catherine Grant

David-D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Catherine Grant

I did a night shoot in Melbourne (Aus) CBD last week with Catherine. I have photographed Catherine once in the past and this is our 2nd time working together. Below are a few images from this session:

More images from this shoot can be viewed at: http://www.thatstheshot.com.au/blog/2012/7/26/folio-shoot-with-catherine.html

Thank you for viewing and all comments are welcome aslways

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #2 · Catherine Grant

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · Catherine Grant

Crop out the doorway in the first picture. It really detracts and pulls focus away from her. It's a much simpler and stronger composition with just her slightly off-center in a pool of light surrounded by dark.

The doorway and text drags your eye away. I thought it was a separate picture that happened to align that way on the page.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Catherine Grant

I like these a lot.

The lighting is just harsh enough to convey the stark urban atmosphere, and the model is stunning.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:41 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #5 · Catherine Grant

I thought I commented on this, well here it is again.

Off the chain good!

I actually like the door in the first one. Pretty cool how we all have different opinions on the same shot. Love the lighting. Her messy hair actually works really well for the environment.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #6 · Catherine Grant

MakoShark wrote:
I thought I commented on this, well here it is again.

Off the chain good!

I actually like the door in the first one. Pretty cool how we all have different opinions on the same shot. Love the lighting. Her messy hair actually works really well for the environment.

Thanks. Yes i was debating to include the door or not as I have another wall along the same building with no door and I had decided to shoot the one with the door, I know everyone has different view and some will like it more without the inclusion of the door int the shot : ) That's what make photography interesting : )

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Catherine Grant

I like the door, but not all the "stuff" on it's left. I think if you cropped away everything from about 2/3 the way across the door, the picture would pop more.

You might even try moving the model closer, by getting rid of a small amount of that dark area in the middle.

I dunno, it's really good as it is.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #8 · Catherine Grant

Cableaddict wrote:
I like the door, but not all the "stuff" on it's left. I think if you cropped away everything from about 2/3 the way across the door, the picture would pop more.

You might even try moving the model closer, by getting rid of a small amount of that dark area in the middle.

I dunno, it's really good as it is.

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:33 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #9 · Catherine Grant

Cableaddict wrote:
I like these a lot.

The lighting is just harsh enough to convey the stark urban atmosphere, and the model is stunning.

Thank you very much.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:27 PM

jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Catherine Grant

Hmmm, I want to like them, but I don't. The light is too harsh for me. I like the idea of using the storefront lights (I've contemplated doing a similar shoot), but the light here is just not flattering to me.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:54 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #11 · Catherine Grant

jfinite wrote:
Hmmm, I want to like them, but I don't. The light is too harsh for me. I like the idea of using the storefront lights (I've contemplated doing a similar shoot), but the light here is just not flattering to me.

Hehehe fair comment, thanks for that. How you feel is exactly like the way I have intended for this shoot - harsh lighting, almost all of my shoots have been soft lighting and I want to try something different : )

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:47 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Catherine Grant

I think these are spot on and simply a great set. The PP and stark intensity of lighting/contrast/etc make the images jump at you and particularly make your beautiful model stand out which is great and necessary based upon the complex nature of the backgrounds. Fantastic stuff actually, love it.

Dave

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:13 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #13 · Catherine Grant

davenfl wrote:
I think these are spot on and simply a great set. The PP and stark intensity of lighting/contrast/etc make the images jump at you and particularly make your beautiful model stand out which is great and necessary based upon the complex nature of the backgrounds. Fantastic stuff actually, love it.

Dave

Thank you very much.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Catherine Grant

Don't listen to the nit-pickers....this is some great work. I bet a photo that had been chosen as a cover for a major magazine could be put on this forum and people would rip it to shreds......Some can't see the forrest for the trees.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Catherine Grant

The 3rd shot! Nice and simple.

The rest have too much distracting elements in them.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:51 AM
ashlynn

p.1 #16 · Catherine Grant

I am pretty picky when it comes to photography, and I silently critique every single photo I see even my own drives me nuts some days

Over-all I do like this set. I am not a huge fan of the "desaturated" look but I do like how you took the time to set the model up and gave harsh lighting a go! I like the gritty feel of it. There are some distracting elements in a couple of the photos but it definitely can be played with.

Your composition is fantastic.

I feel you did a good job, ( and therefore should just listen to me :P hahah!! )

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:57 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #17 · Catherine Grant

Yeah, I am really liking this set. Very creative, and the light is very cool. The door thing, I think it gives it its 'street' quality. Lose the door, and she is leaning against a stucco backdrop on a set. Not so cool.

She is quite lovely. If I were to wane on any shot, it would be 4. But, I still like it anyways, so, there you have it. If you could soften her skin tones on that just a tad to pull the harshness down ever so slightly. Not all of it. I think the greatest enemy of a beautiful woman is a sharp lens. I would seek a happy medium on that shot and then it would rock.
Cheers M8,
Dennis

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password