Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monitor profile help

mbaumser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Monitor profile help

(if this is not the correct forum for this question, Mod please move it)

I have two Dell 2209WA monitors, dual cards and running win7

One of my monitors recently died and Dell has replaced it under warranty (actually warranty expired about 10 days before it died but they hononred it anyways)

Here's my issue, Out-of-the-box, the new monitor is brighter and bluer than the older one. I've profiled both monitors using an X-rite i1 Display2 calibrator but there are still differences in appearance. I assumed that once both were calibrated they would appear identical.

any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? Or what I should try next?

thanks

Marc

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Monitor profile help

did they replace it w/ another 2209WA ?

There is *never* a guarantee that 2 panels will 'match' even when calibrated to the same values (although 2 identical panels should get you close (although they could be using different panels inside different production runs)).

Use one panel as the 'master' and then iteratively manipulate the calibration target X/Y until you get a useful match.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
mbaumser
• • •
p.1 #3 · Monitor profile help

howardm4 wrote:
did they replace it w/ another 2209WA ?

There is *never* a guarantee that 2 panels will 'match' even when calibrated to the same values (although 2 identical panels should get you close (although they could be using different panels inside different production runs)).

Use one panel as the 'master' and then iteratively manipulate the calibration target X/Y until you get a useful match.

Howard.

Yes they replace it with another 2209WA. I usually use one panel as the "master" for working in PS and the other holds the PS tools palette. So the second one isn't as critical. But I did think that the calibration tool would get them much closer than they are.

Thanks

Marc

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Monitor profile help

Like I said, it's hard to know if the actual panel in the replacement is the same mfgr/model as the one in the 'master', esp. since the 2209WA is several years old at this point (I have one also vintage 2009).

Still, you're probably going to have to get off the D line and use X/Y coordinates for the calibration target.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Monitor profile help

How old is your other monitor and what is the source of the illumination on those monitors?

A variable which might affect the overall appearance in ways the calibration device might not detect is a difference in the illumination of the screen. I've seen the display of my iMac vary considerably over time as it has aged due to changes in the illumination.

So two otherwise identical monitors of different ages might be illuminated differently due to deterioration of the illuminating source.. Or as often is the case electronics Dell might have changed sources for the display components and they have now different characteristics. Complain to Dell they don't match and if your lucky streak continues they might send you a second new monitor for free so they will match.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM
mbaumser
• • •
p.1 #6 · Monitor profile help

cgardner wrote:
How old is your other monitor and what is the source of the illumination on those monitors?

A variable which might affect the overall appearance in ways the calibration device might not detect is a difference in the illumination of the screen. I've seen the display of my iMac vary considerably over time as it has aged due to changes in the illumination.

So two otherwise identical monitors of different ages might be illuminated differently due to deterioration of the illuminating source.. Or as often is the case electronics Dell might have changed sources for the display components and they
...Show more

according to the specs: CCFL (6 U-lamp) direct backlight system (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2209WA/en/ug/about.htm#Specifications)

I think complaining to Dell might be pushing my luck. Not to mention, I really don't have a couple of hours to spare going from one support person to another, remaining on hold inbetween until I get someone that knows what they're doing. (I wish I had Elmer's direct number because he's the guy that finally worked with me to get the replacement monitor.)

I guess that thing I'm learning and am actually a bit surprised by is that calibration to a standard doesn't yeild identical results.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Monitor profile help

Are you using the advanced calibration dialog in the iMatch software, specifically to set white point and brightness?

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:54 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Monitor profile help

>> I guess that thing I'm learning and am actually a bit surprised by is that calibration to a standard doesn't yeild identical results. <<

Exactly (yet unfortunately) correct. The numbers may be the same but your human optical system doesn't perceive them the same.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password