Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       end

Archive 2012 · Sony A99

ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #1 · Sony A99

Just got the Sigma 35/1.4 and took the lens for a short walk this morning. I really like this lens and it's very sharp wide open with excellent color.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:17 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #2 · Sony A99

Ocean, after seeing the dedicated thread for the lens I have been wondering how good the fast Sigma 35mm would look on the a99, so thank you very much for these fine images, which answer the question comprehensively in the affirmative. This is subject matter that is hard to get right also.

It's my contentious belief that the a99 sensor actually enhances bokeh, sounds silly but it's what I have noticed with several of my lenses.

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:55 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.29 #3 · Sony A99

Phillip, Thank you. I have been very impressed by the A99. IMHO, it's been a very underrated FF body, relative to D800, 5D Mk-III and M-240. I also observed noticeable improvement of autofocus speed and accuracy compared to A900.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:43 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.29 #4 · Sony A99

a quick question guys...
When SteadyShot is ON (for shooting stills) I can't see any "slow motion" effect like I did shooting with my Nikon D3s with VR lenses.
Is it normal?

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:20 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.29 #5 · Sony A99

Sonys have never had that 'seasickness' look the VR lenses display, it's quite unintrusive and works quietly in the background. The a900 had a handy switch but now it is relegated to a menu setting, probably to save weight and hardware. Some users notice a hum at times..

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:20 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.29 #6 · Sony A99

Thanks Philip!

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:30 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.29 #7 · Sony A99

As Philip mentioned, the IBIS on both A99 and A900 works quietly. The IBIS is one of best best features in Sony A-mount bodies, especially for A99 since there is no mirror involved anymore and you are able to use low shutter speed without too much compromise.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:02 AM
paulesko
• •
p.29 #8 · Sony A99

Does anybody know where the sony thread is? Iīve been looking for it but couldnīt find anything!

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:38 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.29 #9 · Sony A99

paulesko wrote:
Does anybody know where the sony thread is? Iīve been looking for it but couldnīt find anything!

archived apparently: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1016386

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.29 #10 · Sony A99

They really need to knock it off with the thread archiving and the having to start new threads for things that should go in the original. Only real issue I have with FM.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.29 #11 · Sony A99

Lee, ever tried to use 'search'; it has to stay in quotation marks. Maybe Fred could sometime pass the hat around to find a state of the art search feature, there would be no shortage of suggestions.

It does show however, the volume of accumulated wisdom, experience, ramblings, digressions, sharing of technical expertise, range of views, occasional funny spats, incredible images, and sheer outright knowledge residing herein.

And where else are you going to go to see untold thousands of images shot with the finest lenses around and prepared lovingly for the appreciation of others? It has a real history too, see some of the 'dates of registration' - so people grow up with FM Alt, lol.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:10 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.29 #12 · Sony A99

got the chance to try A99 with Sony Zeiss 85 1.4. Image quality is awesome but focus accuracy is real bad. I would say 30 shoots out of 100 were out of focus.
I was using central single point focusing and also did focus micro-adjustment in camera(-11)
Does anybody here have the same setup ? Just want to know if it's defective lens / camera, etc...
Thanks

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:26 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.29 #13 · Sony A99

Note that 'seasickness' effect with VR is simply VR activation on metering/AF. It's an option with most lens-IS systems (NEX being the notable exception), but the only IBIS system to offer that option is the Olympus bodies, neither Sony nor Pentax have it currently.

It can normally be turned off, but is also a manual focus aid when shooting very long lenses.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:44 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.29 #14 · Sony A99

vovkinson wrote:
got the chance to try A99 with Sony Zeiss 85 1.4. Image quality is awesome but focus accuracy is real bad. I would say 30 shoots out of 100 were out of focus.
I was using central single point focusing and also did focus micro-adjustment in camera(-11)
Does anybody here have the same setup ? Just want to know if it's defective lens / camera, etc...
Thanks

I have the same lens/camera setup but I have no problem with achieving accurate focus. Compared to A900, I find autofocus accuracy improves on A99.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:52 AM
alwang
• • •
p.29 #15 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon wrote:
They really need to knock it off with the thread archiving and the having to start new threads for things that should go in the original. Only real issue I have with FM.

Can we just rename this thread to be A99 + other A-mount? I'd recreate the old A-mount thread, but I don't think it would survive if it only included non-A99 images.

Jun 06, 2013 at 11:50 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.29 #16 · Sony A99

alwang wrote:
Can we just rename this thread to be A99 + other A-mount? I'd recreate the old A-mount thread, but I don't think it would survive if it only included non-A99 images.

Great idea. The new gen. of A-mount camera is such a good platform for alt. use.

Some of my recent pictures with the A99:
Zeiss 28/2

Contax 85/1.2

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:14 AM
paulesko
• •
p.29 #17 · Sony A99

wow! great pics!

I agree to post here pics from any A-mount, in fact I asked for the original thread in the first place because I found that DxO reduction noise works wonders with A-850 or A900 cameras, and is giving my sony a second oportunity with night shots.

Here is a 15 second iso 1600 f2.8 pic. Quite low-light Iīd say

pescadores by Pablo Ausucua, on Flickr

Jun 07, 2013 at 09:10 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.29 #18 · Sony A99

Pablo: an impressive view and a nice capture. I really like how you were able to capture those stars, really added into that cloudless sky.

Jun 07, 2013 at 03:38 PM
alwang
• • •
p.29 #19 · Sony A99

Haven't heard any objection to posting other alpha-mount shots here, so I'm just going to do it: a850 + Sigma 35/1.4.

lather by alwang, on Flickr

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password