Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              28       29       end

Archive 2012 · Sony A99

thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sony A99

So... what have people heard?

Lots of rumours going back as far as January.

If it is translucent mirror it could mean very high compatibility with legacy/adapted glass.
Modern SLT cameras don't have ghosting (like the early SLT's) or noticeably higher noise than their flippy-mirrored counterparts.

The rumours say 102 point AF and no doubt it will have peaking.
Maybe a new EVF...

I'm sure Photokina will be interesting.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sony A99

The latest I heard is that the 36MP have now been confirmed.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Sony A99

Pretty sure rumors say it's 24mp this year.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sony A99

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.de/2012/07/what-i-would-like-to-see-in-sonys-new.html

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Sony A99

carstenw wrote:
http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.de/2012/07/what-i-would-like-to-see-in-sonys-new.html

Although I didn't read all that (how could I?) I'm pretty sure that's based around a one-day-rumor which was quickly dismissed. Just browse through SAR, it has everything.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Sony A99

In case anyone hadn't guessed, I am privy to some info from time to time...

A99 will not be 36MP.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sony A99

The Kirk Tuck rumour was bad info he was given. The next Sony will be 24MP, not 36, but the A99 name isn't confirmed (there's a possibility that it will be called the A88 and the A99 will be the 36MP camera coming in early 2013).

Don't expect really firm info until mid/late August, it's a Photokina year and Sony will no doubt announce it in the run-up to Photokina.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sony A99

It'll be A99.
I'm surprised how much hasn't been leaked from the substantial upcoming Sony range.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sony A99

a900 was announced just before Photokina, right? And I think Photokina is in late September. So certainly a while yet. Personally I'm more interested to see if they announced a 50/1.2 alongside it, or if they share any info on the 2013 FF camera.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Sony A99

What are you hoping to hear about 2013 that might not be in the 2012 camera?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sony A99

thrice wrote:

For it to not be an a77 with a full-frame sensor stuck in. Alas, I'm just hopeful. Not in the market for a camera, but I take an interest as this is the only system I use.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sony A99

I love the OVF in the A900 but I fully realize that Sony is going with EVF. I am hoping for a far better EVF that the current one in A77.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Sony A99

thrice wrote:

More resolution - 36MP sensor and either no translucent mirror (larger NEX-7 styled mirrorless) or a way to flip the mirror out of the way. The A99 rumored price is supposedly very close to that of the extremely capable, 36MP Nikon D800. Sort of hard to justify for my uses as I don't care about high FPS and going to another 24MP based sensor after the a900 and even NEX-7 probably would see no gain in resolution/ IQ at low ISO. If the a99 is 24MP and close to $3K, it's not a camera that will find it's way into my bag. Frankly, I don't really see what Sony is thinking here. Those coming from the a900 never cared for high FPS and high ISO image quality to begin with. Sony would have likely snagged those users by going with something that used the 36MP sensor rather then trying to capture an entirely different market segment. ...and then you have all the rumored, sub 2K DSLR's based on the 24mp sensor about to show up as well. I suspect what users Sony has not already lost to the D800 they may loose to one of these options.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Sony A99

Pretty clear what they're thinking here. One of the biggest complains about the a900 was the high iso ability which, although is largely internet garbage, would surely be addressed here. That and the outer AF performance.

What is this about flip away SLT mirror? I've seen someone do a test with it and without it on an a55, and you can't see any difference.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:07 PM
fotofraag

p.1 #15 · Sony A99

A full frame system camera like setup. I mean, several top notch components that could be assembles to a highend SLR, just as well a mirrorless type. That, combined with a full set of various adapters to the mirrorless box would help Sony to attract lots of users from the competition and give the camera access to all kinds of system component of the competition at once. Imagine a full frame NEX 7 like box, with an SLT adapter to make it a SLR. If Sony brings "sensor boxes" with different types of sensors, a 24mp a 36mp a 12mp with different characteristics (obviously resolution and filesize, but DR, noise and ISO performance as well), they would have the best (semi-) open system camera at once. This would be a great offering for professionals. I know this kind of thing is not likely to happen with Sony's corporate proprietary technology philosophy. But I have been amazed about their NEX cameras so far and they have in fact all the elements, techology and marketing, in their hands. If they want to be the new marketleader above Nikon and Canon, this is their chance.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:22 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Sony A99

fotofraag wrote:
Imagine a full frame NEX 7 like box, with an SLT adapter to make it a SLR.

Sony LA-EA2?

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:50 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #17 · Sony A99

If it is translucent mirror it could mean very high compatibility with legacy/adapted glass.
I'm more interested in this statement... why using a translucent mirror means higher compatibility with legacy lens? Canon 5D is quite hard to beat for legacy lens compatibility (SLR lens only of course).

As a NEX-7 user, I don't think the current EVF is better than a fullframe OVF. It has to much bigger with much higher dynamic range to beat a good OVF.

A900 was much cheaper than D3X, that's why it was tempting to many. Now D800 is actually quite affordable for those who really NEED that quality. A99 with a fullframe sensor alone can't attract new customers. Keep in mind that the target group are most likely has already invested in Canon or Nikon.

I use Nikon DSLR, for me, that most appealing thing about Sony Alpha is body stabilization and its lens has full compatibility with NEX (via their adapter). IF A99 can use more lens (Nikon, FD, Leica R) and provide stabilization, it would be very interesting.

IF 24MP means better DR and high ISO than 36MP, I would take 24 over 36.

oh, I would certainly buy a full frame NEX7 like box if they make one.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:09 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Sony A99

AhamB wrote:
Sony LA-EA2?

It would need to be an LA-EA3, because I don't believe the first two models pass a 35mm image circle.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:15 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Sony A99

ytwong wrote:
I'm more interested in this statement... why using a translucent mirror means higher compatibility with legacy lens? Canon 5D is quite hard to beat for legacy lens compatibility (SLR lens only of course).

As a NEX-7 user, I don't think the current EVF is better than a fullframe OVF. It has to much bigger with much higher dynamic range to beat a good OVF.

A900 was much cheaper than D3X, that's why it was tempting to many. Now D800 is actually quite affordable for those who really NEED that quality. A99 with a fullframe sensor alone can't attract new customers. Keep
...Show more

The A99 is rumored to have an improved EVF, and, although there are certainly advantages to a good OVF, it's hard to argue against the advantages of an EVF when it comes to manual focusing adapted lenses, because of image magnification and peaking.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Sony A99

The full frame market is an elastic one not a fixed one.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password