Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

jrash168

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you haven't emptied your trash bin on your computer, they might still be in there. It's worth a look.

Dec 26, 2015 at 05:02 PM
kwagner67

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I've used recuva recently. Worked well. It's free. Give it a shot.

Feb 03, 2016 at 04:40 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

If you have images that are of any importance to you back them up on two or even three external hard drives and store them in different locations.

Cheap insurance.

Sam

Feb 06, 2016 at 06:04 PM
Aksana2D

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Recently i'm had a same problem. My beautiful computer was a crash error and all my photos from desktop was deleted. And i used Hetman Photo Recovery. Worked very well. Maybe you can recover your data with help of this programs.

Aug 02, 2016 at 09:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tony blair

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

You can recover data from external hard drive as well as recover data from Seagate USB drive within few mouse clicks. For more details, you can visit this link: http://www.recoverseagate.com/data-from-usb-drive.html

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:23 PM
tonyespofoto

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

There are a number of free programs available on the web. I don't have experience with any of them, but Flash Fixers has a very inexpensive bit of software that I do have experience with. It worked very well and saved me from my own stupidity and/or bad luck several times. I paid 29.95, but this was some years back. I have received several versions of upgrades since, but have not needed to use it. Usually, when files are deleted or the drive is formatted, the FAT (File Allocation Table) is overwritten. This is a table of contents which the OS consults when you are looking for a file. The files themselves have not been altered in any way. The have been merely deleted from the FAT. That deletion also marks the space the file occupies as empty and thus suitable for new data. All of the software are able to bypass the FAT and look at the actual files. That said, it is EXTREMELY important that you do not write anything new to the drive, because the new data will be overwriting your old data, which is still on the drive. Once the data has been overwritten, it will NOT be recoverable. You will also be able to use the software to recover files from compact flash cards and the like. The FAT on these media is often corrupted by removing the card before the camera has finished writing an image. $29.95 is pretty cheap. Remember, there are only 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who have lost data and those who will. So it is important that you develop a suitable backup system. This can be as simple as a 2nd copy of your troubled drive, placed somewhere else than your home. In the event of theft or fire, you want to be certain that your backups are not at risk, too. And of course, you have to discipline yourself to backup regularly. Best of luck!!!

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:01 PM
tonyespofoto

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

Another bit of information: As far as I know, none of these recovery programs write anything to the drive, they merely read the drive, apparently bypassing the FAT. You will need hard drive space to write the missing files to. Some programs will allow you a preview so you can decide which of the deleted files to copy over. Others will simply copy everything recoverable on the target disk to either the hard disk in your computer or some other drive. Just be sure that the you have enough space on the drive you are copying to. Once the files are copied over, you can delete the ones you don't need. Don't be surprised to find files or parts of files from years ago which were occupying space on the drive and which hadn't been recently written over. Another thing to look for in purchasing your recovery software is to find one which does not rename your files. Some of them rename all the recovered files with some form of sequential numbering system. Also, try to be sure that the file extension is not renamed or changed. Even if the file structure is for example, PSD, if the extension is not PSD, Photoshop will be unable to open it. You can of course, rename the file and then open it.

Oct 30, 2016 at 08:17 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help! Retrieve deleted files from external hard drive.

I recently had my iMac overwrite one of my external drives (NTFS formatted) to do a time machine backup (I was new to Mac and at the time didn't realize what was happening). I bought a program called "Disk Drill". It took many hours but it was able to pull the 1TB of photos and docs off the HD. It sorted the files by type. There was a folder for Raw files, Jpegs, Document types etc... In the Jpeg folder there were sub folders containing 1,000 images each sorted roughly by date. Although the old file/folder structure was gone, as were the old file names, the metadata was intact. I'd say it was well worth the $49 I paid.

Nov 06, 2016 at 06:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password