Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Greg Matty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D700 focus issue

My D-700 will periodically indicate a focus lock and allow me to take a photo when I can clearly see in the viewfinder that the image is not in focus. If I release and press the shutter release a second time the camera will almost invariably re-focus correctly. Although I hate this behavior, I have learned to accept it as opposed to sending my camera into Nikon. Since day 1, the only lens this body has ever seen is a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. The lens is a great overall performer but could my problem be lens related and not body? I'll test to find out.

Although I can force myself to correct the problem, I cannot do that when the camera is in another persons hands as with the pictures of me below. In the first image you can clearly see that nothing is in focus. In image 2 you can see that I am clearly in focus. Both of these are 100% crops from Capture NX with no post processing. The final two .png's are screen shots where you can clearly see that the focus reticle is right where it needs to be. In one image it worked in the other it did not. It is worth pointing out that the OOF image has nothing in focus as opposed to the reticle focussing on the background so to speak.

So the questions I have are as follows:

1) Is this a known issue with the D-700 either with non-nikon lenses or any lens?

2) If anyone else has seen this, did sending your D700 in for repair fix the issue? How much did it cost as I am out of warranty.

Any other tips suggestions are appreciated.

Greg

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D700 focus issue

I could not upload the screenshot .png files as they were too large. But they clearly show the focus reticle covering my right bicep/arm and the motorcycle's left hand mirror.

Now I have linked to my old website and you can view the two .png's if you so desire.

http://www.rk-productions.net/Assets/Photos/Tests/gregoof1.png

http://www.rk-productions.net/Assets/Photos/Tests/gregoof2.png

Greg

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:11 AM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Are you in AF-S or AF-C mode?

What are a1 and a2 set at? Focus, release or focus+release?

Are you using single point, dynamic AF, or Auto AF?

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:07 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Happens to me as well at times - rare, but it does happen. Very annoying

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:51 AM
pbraymond
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D700 focus issue

I've had it happen with every Nikon DSLR I've owned, very rarely but it does happen. Don't know why, I've just accepted it as part of the AF system.

Ray

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D700 focus issue

I've experienced that only rarely, and only when focusing on a repetitive patten like terracotta roof tiles.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Have never experienced this myself with my D700
I do tend to change to LV mode when I pass the camera to another person after struggling with instructions one too many a time

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D700 focus issue

BruceF99 wrote:
Are you in AF-S or AF-C mode?

What are a1 and a2 set at? Focus, release or focus+release?

Are you using single point, dynamic AF, or Auto AF?

AF-S, Focus Priority, Single Point.

I went to my Nikon 50 1.8 and could not get the problem to repeat in about 100 tests. Maybe it is the Tamron lens not properly communicating with the D-700? I'll do some more testing.

Greg

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Zichar wrote:
Have never experienced this myself with my D700
I do tend to change to LV mode when I pass the camera to another person after struggling with instructions one too many a time

What I have decided to do it so place the camera in Dynamic AF mode and hope some of the focus reticles land on me. I am not familiar with LV mode

Greg

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D700 focus issue

pbraymond wrote:
I've had it happen with every Nikon DSLR I've owned, very rarely but it does happen. Don't know why, I've just accepted it as part of the AF system.

Ray

I may do the same. I can see when it has happened and it is easy enough to compensate for. I don't want to send the D-700 to Nikon and have this problem NOT get fixed and it returns with a scratched sensor or other issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Greg

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Try cleaning the lens and camera contacts. Sounds like it is a communication problem with the Tamron.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D700 focus issue

Greg Matty wrote:
What I have decided to do it so place the camera in Dynamic AF mode and hope some of the focus reticles land on me. I am not familiar with LV mode

Greg

Oops, I meant Liveview; more idiot-proof imho. Not everyone I pass the camera to likes or can understand focusing through the viewfinder

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:02 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D700 focus issue

If you can, try another lens. It might be either one at this point. Until you can isolate the problem, there isn't much anyone can do. If you send both in, both companies will each blame the other. Go buy a 50MM f1.8 to return in less than 15 days and check with that lens.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password