Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

dirkfallows

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

Any suggestions for a one-year photography school that is affordable? I know the Hallmark Institute has an excellent one-year program but it is very expensive. Thanks for any input.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

I used to think the Hallmark Institute was top shelf until I Googled it. There seems to be a variety of opinions concerning the quality of education if the comments left by former students is any indication, however, I think their mixed responses seem to be typical of photography schools. Like most "certificate only" photo schools there is no job placement, no supplied models, rudimentary lighting instruction, no business courses, and equipment that more than likely wouldn't help you out even if your goal was to work as an assistant. I went to a school like that for a couple of years. I was young so anything that kept me busy was fun. The G.I. Bill paid for 80% of it so it wasn't a financial strain. Today you can learn location lighting online, read books/dvds, or maybe even work with commercial photographers for minimum wage as you learn the craft before financially committing to the profession. A photography career lacks the certainty of paying back very expensive student loans.

A line from the movie "Good Will Hunting" seems apropos here:

are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f**kin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:56 PM
dirkfallows

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

Thanks for replying! I've been looking at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Missoula, Montana for a couple of years now. I've read good stuff about it.

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:19 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

dirkfallows wrote:
Thanks for replying! I've been looking at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Missoula, Montana for a couple of years now. I've read good stuff about it.

My daughter looked into RMSP and was impressed but decided the program had too much stuff she did not want...She chose the Art Institute... Do not forget to look into living expense, housing, food, transportation... Also, the 5-6 month program @ RMSP is approaching $15,000 dollars... Hardly inexpensive... Past that I have only a prayer that you find a program that benefits your needs...

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:51 AM
dirkfallows

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

Thanks for the info. Did your daughter do the online training with Art Institute?

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JamesGeek

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

New York Film Academy Photography School.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:31 AM
dirkfallows

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

Thanks!

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:56 PM
WiredMike

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

I did one year at AI and found everything to be top notch. Unfortunately life changes forced me to put it on hold for now.
One thing make sure you dont go in with the attitude that online class is a breeze. Its not any easier than sitting in a classroom.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:36 PM
dirkfallows

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

Thanks WiredMike! It's good to know the online program is as challenging as the classroom. A person wants good value for their money and learn all they can.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:32 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any suggestions for a one-year photography school?

I'd wait until your kid's 5 or 6 but that's just me.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password