Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

geniousc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

I'm pretty happy with my D800 focusing. The attached shots are from the 50 1.8G shot at F2. This is the 3rd lens I have tested, they all test about the same. The 50 1.8G is pretty amazing for what it is. The extreme right one is a bit soft most likely due to centering. No particular care was taken in testing, tripod mounted, AFS and press the button.

Extreme left

Center

Extreme right

gene

More shots taken at 11 feet as suggested and at F 1.8. I'm satisfied that I have a great camera. Shots should be over 100%. 50 1.8G is great for what it is.

Center shot

left

right

Overall

Edited on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:04 PM
dstraton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

Great to see. My D800 with three large aperture primes is 100% fine as well. I am sure there are issues out there, but as with all annoyances, they are magnified online.

Insanely great camera. The focusing is such a step up from the 5DMkII I had; and the DR is amazingly addictive.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:07 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #3 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

I would agree, I can hardly make it through a day without using it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #4 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

how close was the camera to the dollar bill? are those crops of larger pics?

thanks

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:51 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #5 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

^ about 4 feet, yes they are crops.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:53 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

geniousc wrote:
^ about 4 feet, yes they are crops.

Try a bit further away. On my 24G @ f/1.4, which is the worst instigator of the Left AF issue, I need to be 4-5 feet away. As I move closer the focusing error lessens and becomes less obvious. Since you're using 50mm then I'd suggest a test from 10-15 feet away, at maximum aperture.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chuckbernard

p.1 #7 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

I agree. Move further back. Also, in my opinion, the center shot is clearer than the other ones. Not by much but it is clearer.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #8 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

snapsy wrote:
Try a bit further away. On my 24G @ f/1.4, which is the worst instigator of the Left AF issue, I need to be 4-5 feet away. As I move closer the focusing error lessens and becomes less obvious. Since you're using 50mm then I'd suggest a test from 10-15 feet away, at maximum aperture.

I'll give it a go at more distance. I have been using the camera for a couple months and have really had nothing happen that would make me think there was anything wrong. I used f2 to avoid bringing the lens into play.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #9 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

chuckbernard wrote:
I agree. Move further back. Also, in my opinion, the center shot is clearer than the other ones. Not by much but it is clearer.

Yes, the center is sharper, it's supposed to be.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #10 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

the difference in those shots of the box is huge. Almost looks like different fonts. I can't understand why the camera metered so differently. Did you focus on the same letter or part of the box? I would be interested to see a little more control on the test shots using manual incl a set white balance. Those 3 images are so different. That is forgetting the reason for the test of course...

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #11 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

These shots were taken in the shade Mike without attention to WB. The main object was to check focus quick and dirty. The focus point was the label and only the label, it's a ways from the camera. They were processed in LR, I was a little sloppy in getting the crops all the same.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.1 #12 · D800 focusing tests more shots added at 11 feet

I tried two different tests and got slightly different results. Needless to say if I do have the problem it's very minor on my lenses (nothing wide and fast), but I'd still like to know. Can anyone that has tried multiple tests recommend the best setup to diagnose the problem? Most of the tests leave out some specifics like exactly how far to set up the camera to the test charts/objects for each focal length, how big the charts/objects should be, minimum shutter speed, etc.

My widest/fastest lenses atm are 24-70 2.8, 50 1.8 and the DX 35 1.8 (which I imagine would work since all the focus points are within the DX crop). Unfortunately I'm also waiting on my RRS plate to ship, so I was using a $20 tripod with a non-AS head so I could adjust the direction. I'll try my next test with a real tripod, just without a ball head.

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password