Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

photogwest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

Hey all

I'm contemplating selling my 24-70 to free up cash to get a UWA (16-35) and telephoto (80-200). I have the 50mm 1.8G prime. Whether you agree with this move or not, I was wondering who else has shed the heavy zoom for primes in the mid-range and how you adjusted.

I think the micro contrast and overall IQ of the 24-70 is better than the 50mm, but I really want the zooms on the low and high end, and can't afford to have all three at once.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

I'm neither an event shooter nor a photojournalist so the 24-70 f/2.8 is otherwise too cumbersome for the limited use I have for it. (I like the 17-55 f/2.8 on DX, but that's a compact setup by comparison.) Instead I normally carry three lenses along with the D700:

14-24 f/2.8
50 f/1.8 AF-D
either a 70-200 VR f/2.8 or a 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 VR

Unless you know that you need the 24-70, what you're contemplating is probably the right solution for you.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:05 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #3 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

the 70-300 mentioned above you might want to look at. The 80-200 2.8 is bigger and heavier than the 24-70, obviously lol. On paper its about 1lb difference iirc. When I take mine out it seems to gain wieght as the day wears on. But if you really want/need the 2.8 its worth the carrying around usually imo. Not sure what strap setup you use. To make 80-200 carrying easier if using the neck breaking oem strap...find a good 3rd party shoulder/cross body strap setup I would add to the buy.

Rest of the stuff....tbh my 24-70 is recently acquired and I am going the other route and the 24-70 may replace primes in the range. But if you need the wide more, have to follow your heart on that one.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:29 PM
photogwest
• •
p.1 #4 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

@Frank - since you have the setup I'm contemplating (or close to it), what kind of shooting do you do?

My subjects/interests include landscape, indoor/outdoor portraiture, and studio/stock/still. I'm also not an event shooter or photojournalist and I'm starting to feel that a 24-70 is just too much lens (in both size and $$$) for a walkabout. It does great in a studio setting, but so does the 50mm 1.8G and I'm sure any of the telephoto's mentioned would as well. I really want to hone my wide-angle landscape skills, and while 24mm is wide, it's just not quite there for a lot of the images i'm trying to achieve.

@Markov - from what I've hard the 70-300 is really a great deal, but I'm thinking the variable aperture would not give me the DOF control needed for portraits. With the 80-200, I have a solid portrait lens with good compression AND a telephoto for landscape applications, maybe a wildlife shot in a pinch. That's my thought anyway.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

I agree with Frank -- a midrange zoom like the 24-70 is great for fast-moving events (weddings) and photojournalism, but (for me) is way too heavy, slow, and cumbersome for most other uses. I would much prefer (and own) a wide zoom and faster primes.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #6 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

photogwest wrote:
@Frank - since you have the setup I'm contemplating (or close to it), what kind of shooting do you do?

I tend to concentrate on landscapes when traveling, but take a look at my Flickr stream. I recently spent a week in Greece with the setup I listed above, so you can see exactly what I was able to do with the three lenses (14-24, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VR). I also enjoy shooting with an 85 f/1.4 and 300 f/2.8, but they're not so travel friendly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/factisfiction/

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:54 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #7 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

whats so slow about the 24-70? the aperture isn't and the AF is about as fast as it gets, its an amazing landscape and travel lens as well.

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #8 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

I have not shed the 24-70 (too useful for situations where I want a variety of perspectives and framing options quickly) but have done other shoots with the approximate combination of lenses you are contemplating. It can be done, but when the light or the moment is fleeting and I find myself at times frustrated with having to switch out lenses from wide to tele to capture the image in my mind.

I find that the 24-70 has tremendous possibilities in dramatically changing perspectives in a photo while still maintaining desired background coverage. YMMV, but that's been my experience. Of course there are times I go out with only primes and have not missed any zoom, so it all depends on the situation.

Good thing is that if you sell the 24-70 and get both the WA and tele zoom you are referencing, you still have great lenses at your disposal, so it's a win either way.

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:28 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

Maybe I missed it, but you are not telling us what camera body you are using and whether your next will be FullFrame.

I like the 10-24DX for wide on my D7000
and 14-24FX on my D800.

For long I would go with the 28-300 on either.
I've had three versions of the 70-300 and much prefer the 28-300FX

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:15 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

17-35AFS
50/1.8G
70-200 AFS VRII

These, or similar lenses, will cover a whole lot.
Sometimes I use the 24-85AFS (a replacement VR version is coming today, hopefully without any issues) and still bring the 50/1.8G for shallow DOF effects.

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:04 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.1 #11 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

I had the 16-35, 50 1.8G, and 70-200 VRII in my bag and they satisfied me for a while. One day I got tired of lugging the heavy zooms and replaced both with a prime. The 16-35 was replaced by a 24 1.4 and the 70-200 got replaced by the 85 1.4G and 150 2.8. The total weight of my bag is probably the same as when I had the zooms, but the glass that's attached to the camera at any given time got significantly lighter. Now that I don't shoot events anymore, I'm loving the 100% primes kit.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

DontShoot wrote:
I had the 16-35, 50 1.8G, and 70-200 VRII in my bag and they satisfied me for a while. One day I got tired of lugging the heavy zooms and replaced both with a prime. The 16-35 was replaced by a 24 1.4 and the 70-200 got replaced by the 85 1.4G and 150 2.8. The total weight of my bag is probably the same as when I had the zooms, but the glass that's attached to the camera at any given time got significantly lighter. Now that I don't shoot events anymore, I'm loving the 100% primes kit.

Joseph makes an under appreciated point - many times it's the weight of the camera + lens that's either hanging around your neck or clamped in your hand. rather than the weight in the bag that matters the most.

I personally appreciate using light weight primes on my FX body and can really feel it if the 17-35 or 80-200AFS are on the camera for an appreciable time.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:11 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

For pro use when I need great glass I carry a 17-35 2.8, 35-70 2.8, an 80-200 2.8, and a set of extension tubes.
If I want to travel light my choice would be something like the 28-105 3.5-4.5, and the 75-300 4.5-5.6
That should cover most things without having to change lenses too much

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:55 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Mid-range zoom to mid-range prime

photogwest wrote:
Hey all

I'm contemplating selling my 24-70 to free up cash to get a UWA (16-35) and telephoto (80-200). I have the 50mm 1.8G prime. Whether you agree with this move or not, I was wondering who else has shed the heavy zoom for primes in the mid-range and how you adjusted.

I tried the single focal lens route and it just didn't work for me. I was missing too many shots when things happened fast and I had the wrong lens. I now own only one single focal lens, a Sigma f1.4. I rarely use it. I'm very happy with Nikon pro f2.8 zooms--no more missed shots.

Kent in SD

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password