Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · For those who......

marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For those who......

Have done free weddings for friends or family, what do you give, provide in the way of time and product ? Have you ever had someone start making demands, as if they were paying ? If so, what did you do about it ?

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:43 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For those who......

We're doing a free wedding for family later this summer. Well, I'll be doing the shooting, as Brenda's a bridesmaid. It's basically going to be ceremony coverage + a few hours of the reception. We're getting a token payment, which is nice, but we were planning on doing it freely at the start. That said...

...we're not planning on doing any free weddings anymore for family. Too hard to enforce boundaries.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For those who......

My wife and I are doing a "free" wedding as a gift to one of my best buddies (one of my good friends for 7, someone I consider a best friend for the past 3) next year. He and his fiance are getting married on mine and my wife's 5 year anniversary. We've been told that they don't want much of anything normal. They want us to have fun and take pictures while we're hanging out and celebrating.

From most people, I'd think this was B.S., but from this couple, I think it's true. We'll treat it as slightly less than a normal wedding we'd be shooting, but significantly more than just a wedding we're attending with one camera and a 50mm.

That's about the closest I've come to a free wedding, save the first few weddings I did for less than $1,000 where I for sure lost money.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:58 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For those who......

I just did my first free wedding ever, and they are just getting digitals. I cannot imagine that they will make any demands whatsoever, because they were floored that we offered to do it for them without charging.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:07 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For those who......

I've done freebies in the past for my nephew and a co worker. They went well. They didn't make any demands.
I have one coming up for the daughter of my studio office/album designer. The other day the daughter came to the studio alone with a "list" of "we want you to go to this hotel and get the guys getting ready, while I will be at my moms house and we want your "second" photographer to go there and get shots of me"..............and.....and.........

Whoa, who ever said you were getting a second ? And we never talked about getting ready shots hours before the ceremony. I had to gently reign her in and I could see the disappointment on her face. I was planning on shooting this on my own, since Im not getting paid and won't pay a second for a freebie job.

I had discussed this with her mom, but the bride seems to be asking for stuff that is just not going to happen in my book. She also had some other little "suggestions" to do after the ceremony that involves a lot more than just going to the reception and taking photos there.

I'm conflicted between doing what she wants and getting reigned into making this a full blown all dayer that will also turn into a post edit mega job........or doing what I had initially discussed with her mom.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:33 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For those who......

^ It's good you spoke to her mom, but conversations about weddings really need to take place with the bride and groom.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:37 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For those who......

tobicus wrote:
^ It's good you spoke to her mom, but conversations about weddings really need to take place with the bride and groom.

I met with the bride, groom and mom twice. Daugher has been in my study many times since then. Mom is in my studio three times a week. Nothing was ever mentioned about getting ready shots or some of the other requests made so close to the wedding.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM
r-m-g

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For those who......

Offer to have them pay for a 2nd? Let him/her cover the bride getting ready - it's probably unorthodox for the 2nd to be shooing hours before you do but so is getting free wedding photo coverage...

AND most seconds would probably jump at a chance to do bride getting ready shots since they're usually stuck with the stinky groom...

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:45 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For those who......

My mom is getting remarried in October. I will be there to take a few pictures. I don't expect any drama or any brizezilla syndrome, so there probably won't be any interesting stories.

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For those who......

deepbluejh wrote:
My mom is getting remarried in October. I will be there to take a few pictures. I don't expect any drama or any brizezilla syndrome, so there probably won't be any interesting stories.

Bridezillas - Episode 153 - "My Mom is the bride, and SHE is the bridezilla!"

That would be an AWESOME story.

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · For those who......

r-m-g wrote:
Offer to have them pay for a 2nd? Let him/her cover the bride getting ready - it's probably unorthodox for the 2nd to be shooing hours before you do but so is getting free wedding photo coverage...

AND most seconds would probably jump at a chance to do bride getting ready shots since they're usually stuck with the stinky groom...

Hmm, ill ask mom...she just might go for that....thanks.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · For those who......

r-m-g wrote:
Offer to have them pay for a 2nd?

Then there's all the post work from having a second shooter.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:55 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · For those who......

marti.g3 wrote:
I'm conflicted between doing what she wants and getting reigned into making this a full blown all dayer that will also turn into a post edit mega job........or doing what I had initially discussed with her mom.

I would just get the point across, "This is all I'm willing to do for free". Make it implied that if they want something more, there would be no hard feelings if they were to look elsewhere ... that you'd be happy to make recommendations of other qualified photogs.

Don't be taken advantage of!

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:58 PM
MJphotography

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · For those who......

I have done a couple weddings for family, and I will never do it again! They both expected me to do EVERYTHING for free, such as provide the CD with all images, print the 16x24 picture for them, do the bridal session, etc. Hell no, never again!

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · For those who......

marti.g3 wrote:
I met with the bride, groom and mom twice. Daugher has been in my study many times since then. Mom is in my studio three times a week. Nothing was ever mentioned about getting ready shots or some of the other requests made so close to the wedding.

In that case, I'd just keep repeating your boundaries and hold firm to them. It's too easy to get taken advantage of by friends and family.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM
bagochips
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · For those who......

D. Diggler wrote:
I would just get the point across, "This is all I'm willing to do for free". Make it implied that if they want something more, there would be no hard feelings if they were to look elsewhere ... that you'd be happy to make recommendations of other qualified photogs.

Don't be taken advantage of!

This.

My policy: If someone is close enough to invite me as a guest, I go as a guest and enjoy myself. If they are not close enough to invite me as a guest, they pay normal price and get normal service. Avoids all these "boundaries" issues.

You may find yourself in a situation where doing a favor for the Mom backfires on you because the bride ends up unhappy.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · For those who......

Update.....spoke with mom and she said "well we were going to pay you and your second".......... really.........uh, money was never mentioned.....im going to see what she is willing to pay and take only enough to pay the second....my work is still free........and I'll still stick to my original offer with my stipulations.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · For those who......

If I were you, I'd get a contract signed with payment terms. This has red flags written all over it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · For those who......

tobicus wrote:
If I were you, I'd get a contract signed with payment terms. This has red flags written all over it.

Yeah I'm not comfortable with the offer of pay........because with that comes expectations.....and legal issues........I would prefer to just do it for free.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:10 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · For those who......

MJphotography wrote:
I have done a couple weddings for family, and I will never do it again! They both expected me to do EVERYTHING for free, such as provide the CD with all images, print the 16x24 picture for them, do the bridal session, etc. Hell no, never again!

This is the thing about doing "freebies" ...

I've done it a few times. My attitude going into the freebie was, "I'm doing this for free so the expectations are going to be somewhat relaxed". For example, I did some freebies during the busy part of my season. So I've got tons of paying work on my plate that I can't even really keep up with as I would like. I decide to put these freebies back farther in the editing queue. No big rush on getting 'em out. They didn't pay a cent for my services. "You get what you pay for" and all that. Well ... the brides start being inpatient and riding my *** for performance. Uhhhh ... Sweet Pea ... I shot your dam wedding out of the kindness of my heart. You really can't be DEMANDING when you didn't pay anything, Honey Buns.

So in the end, of course, they got their pictures. I don't think I EVER - not ONCE - got even a "Thank You" out of any freebie job I ever did.

The bottom line here on freebies here is: Despite what you may assume - considering that you are not being compensated one iota for your time, talent, and hard work - the expectations in the bride's mind are not that different from if they hired some stranger to do the job! At least that's been my unfortunate experience.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:15 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password