Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lithium AA battery tester

alexhibbert
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lithium AA battery tester

Hi all,

Not being an expert on battery chemistries etc, I'm not sure about testing lithium batteries. I have AA lithium energiser single use batteries and want to simply test if they are full, low or dead using a passive tester. Using one of the cheaper $5 ones off eBay or from the local store, will they work? They claim to test alkaline and rechargeable but I don't know if something about lithium AA batteries make them unreliable or unsuitable.

Thanks

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lithium AA battery tester

So long as the tester puts a load on the cell it should work. The open-circuit voltage of a fresh L91 is quite high, IIRC ~1.8V, but drops quickly under even a light load.

EBH

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lithium AA battery tester

the discharge curve on a Li single use battery is relatively flat and then rapidly drops off at the end of its usable life. a cell may show a relatively consistant voltage level and only last a limited amount of time under a load.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

use till depleted and carry spares.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:34 PM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #4 · Lithium AA battery tester

Thanks - so due to the flat curve and then quick drop off, the tester will show the battery as very full even when it's quite close to being empty, and then it'll quickly register as empty?

The main purpose for this is due to using the cells (8 of them) in a 12V power pack. Sometimes the cells don't deplete equally, so instead of throwing away all the cells in the power pack, I can identify the low ones and just chuck those.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Lithium AA battery tester

yes it will

the cells should deplete within a range of stability for a multicell setup if all is equal on start of use. when voltage drops to generally 1.2 they are on the way out and will no longer be an equal partner in the pack.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password