Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

Jon Murphy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

Recently someone has stolen my monopod (Manfrotto 680 aluminum) which worked well for my usage. Weight was never an issue for me I used it more then my tripod (Manfrotto 055MF-4 - carbon fiber) which I am also very happy with.

With that being said I do lust for a Really Right Stuff tripod I have the ball head (BH-55) with the quick release clamp. I need to replace my monopod I could get another one for about $70 (Manfrotto 680B) or $150 (Manfrotto 694CX - carbon fiber) this doesn't include the price of a replacement head.

I understand the need of getting the best tripod you can afford but what about monopods? Is the a significant different besides weight and/or price?

What are your thoughts?

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

I think that's a small difference to pay for less weight and the monopod should be easier to handle in temperature extremes. I am 6'5" so I need a taller monopod that costs more than that. I paid $115 for my aluminum one with tripod feet.

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Jon Murphy
• •
p.1 #3 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

Kenneth Farver wrote:
I think that's a small difference to pay for less weight and the monopod should be easier to handle in temperature extremes. I am 6'5" so I need a taller monopod that costs more than that. I paid $115 for my aluminum one with tripod feet.

I'm 6'1" the height was not a problem especially once a head was added. I live in Arizona the Phoenix area triple digit heat is pretty extreme

There is a part of me that wants the carbon fiber pod then there is that annoying little voice that says save the money. But with the exception of weight and price is there any difference in performance? Considering I am looking at twice the price.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:42 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

Split the difference and buy a Feisol 1471 or 1401:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Monopods

I've owned both, still use the 1471, and love it. Many other happy users here on FM, too.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #5 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

Jon Murphy wrote:
I understand the need of getting the best tripod you can afford but what about monopods? Is the a significant different besides weight and/or price?

The foot of the monopod is a difference too.
At least here in Germany some people try to attach a Monostat foot to their monopod.
I own an old Monostat and love it. I use it when I donīt want to carry a tripod, or tripods are not fast enough, for example for birding.
I use it with my Canon FD 800mm/5.6 -this is most likely not an ideal combination - but it works for me.
I have a bigger Manfrotto tripod, but since I have the Monostat I never used the Manfrotto.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

I still have my old Dynatran monopod. I always wondered why it went to over 6 feet tall. Then I found myself on steps and had to put to pod a really long step down. I use a manfrotto 3265 equivalent pistol grip ballhead with the monopod. It's much easier to use than a regular ballhead on a monopod.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:41 PM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #7 · Monopod should I spend the extra money????

I keep thinking I should upgrade my Manfrotto 681B, but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

From what I've seen, I'll save much, much more weight by my wallet being lighter than I will from the monopod. The Manfrotto 681B is 27 oz. The RRS one is 21 oz. The Feisol one that can support the same load is 24 oz.

I don't use a head on my monopod. I use it with just a bare arcaswiss clamp directly screwed on.

Eric

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password