Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · do i need Pol filters

rasmus78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · do i need Pol filters

i have been filterless for the many years since my first SLR (Eos 350D at launch)

i have a UV on my 70-200 and a protection filter on my 100mm, but both these were on the lenses when i bought them used, never bought a filter.

But i like pictures with "DARK blue skies" and even HDR pictures. and i feel like i need som "darkness" in my pictures..

are pol filters something i need, or can i get the same result without loss of quality in Photoshop.

my local camara pusher only has 3 different brands of filters, Marumi / Hoya and B+W and i think sinces i will be a trial on my cheap 50mm (filter size 52mm) i might be the Cheap Marumi CPL (is that okay?)

issue is my normal zoom lens is a 24-70mm Sigma 82mm filter size, so trying on that will be a no go, havent found cheap filters for 82mm and my 70-200 mm is a 77mm filter size.

i could go for a 58mm that fits on 100mm and on my kit 18-55 IS, but then i need to dust of the kit again.

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · do i need Pol filters

I have a CPL, only used it a few times on bright sunny days at the ocean where the glare in the afternoon is horrible...performed nicely

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:53 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #3 · do i need Pol filters

I have a CPL for my lenses. I don't use it often, but when I do I am always pleased with the effect. Not only does it deepen the color of the sky, it also removes tiny specular reflections from foliage, making green bushes and trees look more saturated. It does the same for flowers and just about everything but shiny metal. It also cuts the glare on water and lets you see through it.

If you want to get a good idea of what a polarizer does before you lay out the bucks for one (and don't get a cheap one), get a pair of polarized sunglasses and you can see the effect there. And while I don't recommend a cheap polarizer, cheap polarized sunglasses are OK for seeing the effect.

Also, if you do decide to buy a polarizer, buy a CIRCULAR polarizer. I don't mean a round one, I mean a Circular Polarizer (CPL) as opposed to a Linear Polarizer. Your SLR meters through a 1/2 silvered mirror, and a linear polarizer will screw up your metering.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #4 · do i need Pol filters

I rarely use my CPL filter, but do like the results when I use it. If you are shooting into the sun (sunset) or when the sun is behind you, the CPL has little or no effect. It has maximum effect when the sun is at right angles to the axis you are shooting at, providing you rotate the CPL for maximum effect.

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · do i need Pol filters

Depends on what you shoot. Water, moisture, wetness are must-have situations for a CPL. So is shooting rainbows and storm clouds. I find little need for their traditional stated applications, perhaps because I rarely shoot distant subjects in mid-day.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:23 AM
rasmus78

p.1 #6 · do i need Pol filters

okay.. guys i will try.. unfortunatly my lenses are spread out, when talking about filter sizes... so i guess i will have to pick one and stick with it....

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:58 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · do i need Pol filters

I do recommend having and using a polarizer, for the reasons given by GroovyGeek. Study this review of polarizers: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html -- it showed the Marumi DHG very highly rated. To solve your problem of different lens threads, get an 82 mm polarizer, and use an inexpensive step-up ring from 77 mm to 82 mm to mount it on your 70-200.

Dave

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password