New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

I need pack up a bunch of stuff for 3 to 4 months. I don't know what I should do with my Epson 2200 and a 1270.
Should I leave the ink cartridges in or run some sort of cleaning solution thru them?
I don't want to come back to a useless printer when I get back.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

I don't like the idea of storing a printer long-term, so am personally not particularly receptive to the use of cleaning fluids such as those from ink jet mall or american inkjet systems.

You might consider www.harveyheadcleaner.com This is a printer utility that runs a nozzle check at scheduled intervals---and the best part is that it works.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

I need to put the items in storage, without being able to plug it in, so the harvyheadcleaner wouldnt work...and I am on a mac too. Thanks

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

Those are both getting pretty old. Maybe you should donate them to a school and get a new one when you get back. What does Epson recommend for that term of storage?

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

The 1270 I could live without, but I ran across a deal when I paid $100 for 125 assorted ink cartridges for the 2200 so I'd like to keep using the 2200.

I'll contact Epson tomorrow, good idea....

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

just store them and deep clean when you come back. 4 months are nothing. i have had printers sitting longer.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:16 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

You would probably spend as much on cleaning/storage solutions than these printer models are worth. Run test prints right before storing the printers (moistens heads and parking station). Pack well and keep humidity levels up in the 40-60% range.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

If the 2200 croaks while I am gone I'll find another one on Craigslist, I still have about 100+ inks...

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storing a couple of Epson printers

For my 7xxx and 9xxx printers, I make my own cleaning solution and inject it into used carts. You could do the same.

I mixed some glycerin base that I had made to mix my own inks with (glycerin, distilled water, and Photo Flo - check Paul Roark's site for his Carbon something base.) with some rubbing alcohol and some ammonia.

I ran that through my system by running an "INIT" load (initialize printer - completely charge the lines from empty) about 5 times to completely clean out the lines and heads.

When you are ready to recharge it, just run "INIT" again (or it's equivalent) one time to charge the inks. Then run some 6 Color Purge prints (or however many inks you have) that you can get from inksupply.com They are basically files that you can resize that have large patches of each primary ink to print side by side on paper to clear the lines.

If you run too many cleaning cycles with the solution, you will fill up and have to empty the maintenance tank. On my large format printers, I can just pull them out, dump them, and refill with paper towels. No cost to any of this on large format.

You will have to map to equivalent commands/procedures on the 1270 and 2200. It has been many years since I used the small printers.

Good luck! Have fun too!

Michael

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.