Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

Deanh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

I dunno I start to not like images after 800/1250ish. I find taking out the noise after that makes my images real soft, maybe I just have no idea how to use Lightroom.

Can the 60D be pushed higher in your opinion without oo much noise?

Am I too picky?
Am I doing something wrong if the noise is already noticeable on uncropped images at those ISO's?

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #2 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

I think the 7D, which I have, has similar low light performance to the 60D. I don't hesitate to push the ISO to where-ever it's needed. I make sure the shot is slightly, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 stop, over exposed and darken in PP with some NR. A slightly noisy shot is a lot better than a blurry shot. That said, if it is well after sundown and the subjects are still then for image quality I switch to a tripod and ISOs down around 100-400. Once I get above ISO 1250-1600 the quality of these two approaches is night and day. Of corurse, if the subject is moving then the tripod is not much use.
Some of my favorite shots have been up around 2400-3200, but I'm sure there are FF cameras that would do a lot better.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:59 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

A crop sensor at 18MP is going to start showing some noise at relatively low ISOs. Nikon seems to be a bit ahead in this regard.

I think the amount of acceptable noise is directly related to the output target.
If I'm printing large, then ISO800 on my similar sensored 7D works for most subjects.
If printing smaller or posting on the web, much higher ISOs are perfectly acceptable to me.
The secondary consideration is the subject matter.
Images with lots of small details can handle some noise without looking to noticeable and NR usually destroys the details.

In the end, it's really up to the individual to determine what's acceptable. If you don't like the image, that's all that matters. If you can do some selective NR, then you may be able is push ISO a bit higher. If you want to get better results, take a look at the different NR software add-ons for Lightroom.
I think Noise Ninja, Neat Image and Nik's Dfine are some of the most popular.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

For events, I have very good results at ISO 1600. ISO 800 is pretty great for the same activities. Noise goes up and details are lacking at ISO 3200, but for some, it will still be usable.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

It depends on the contrast range of the scene. if lighting is dim, but fairly even with few shadows, like a ice rink, ISO 3200 exposed to the right with a little global NR looks fine. However a twilight landscape--lots of lower mids and deep shadow--will look terrible at ISO 1600, especially the clouds. However, I can save this type of image by painting in NR selectively on low mids and shadows with light global NR for brighter areas. I also paint in sharpening, using little or none in shadows and low mids. Of course these results assume RAW images processed carefully. 60D default JPEG processing is pretty strong compared to my 7D and tends to smear things too much for my taste, so I stick to raw.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:37 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #6 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

A crop sensor at 18MP is going to start showing some noise at relatively low ISOs. Nikon seems to be a bit ahead in this regard.

This is quite an understatement, although it's a bit nuanced. I am comfy pushing a 60D to ISO1600, *IF* I'm not going to lift shadows. The 60D is ok, but the high ISO noise in the shadows is quite bad. I've seen unacceptable shadow noise at ISO400, lifted only a stop or two. The noise is really different... it's a lot of color noise, and smudginess.

The D7000, I shoot at ISO1600 all the time, and I'm not afraid of lifting shadows several stops. ISO3200 is usable in a pinch (usually these become B/W converts). D7000 noise looks grainy. It's easy to clean, and it looks OK unclean.

I love the 60D. It's more comfy in my hand than the D7000, and there are a set of Canon lenses that I like much more than the Nikon counterparts. But... truth be told, the D7K buries the 60D in shadow noise.

EDIT: Like ferro, I do sometimes do a brighter exposure to avoid deep shadows. Sometimes, I'd rather take blinkies and get some shadow detail, than risk noisy blacks. This is true for pretty much any camera, but I find myself doing it a bit more when using a 60D.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #7 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

If you PM me, I can point you to a post over on another board that goes through how to get the best high ISO out of the 7D/60D, etc. Many people have discussed their findings, and I throw in my 2 cents worth as well.

I shoot the 7D up to 3200 without regard, I get a little careful at 6400, and I really watch my settings at 12800.

ISO 3200 with very minor post processing:

ISO 6400

For the first pic, here is a 100% crop from this image sized to print as an 8x10.

7D ISO 3200 with proper camera settings, then DPP Raw->JPG, with minor post processing

Edited on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:02 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

I would like to get that info myself.

I have had very decent shots at ISO 1250 but I try not to go beyond that.

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:50 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #9 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

I totally agree with people that say it depends on the scene, shadows and usage of the photo, especially at ISO's 1600 and greater.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:35 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #10 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

boingyman wrote:
I totally agree with people that say it depends on the scene, shadows and usage of the photo, especially at ISO's 1600 and greater.

No not really, it depends on your exposure, and the DR of the scene. If you underexpose the 7D at higher ISOs by a stop or more, and you bring them up, you will really increase the noticeability of noise. You have to push your exposure to the right without clipping to get the best out of the 7D. I can take the same scene with shadows and all, and show that if you expose where the histogram lies in the middle or to the left, then again where you push all that to the right without clipping highlights, there is a very noticeable difference in IQ. ETTR is nothing new, but is especially important with these 18mpx croppers.

Here is a shot from the 7D in a low light situation, natural light and nothing more. I had set up the camera in a way to try to get an okay SOOC JPG, but then I also took the raw, changed a few things around, and ran the resulting JPG through one of my custom actions. It comes out better, and this is why I only shoot raw now, and I keep the exposure to the right at all times. This allows poster prints of players at ISO 6400.

Now if I print either image at 8x10 or maybe even a larger size, will there be a discernible difference? Yes, maybe if you really start to scrutinize the image, but for the most part, the technique I employ may not always produce great differences that everyone can appreciate. I just like having a process both when I shoot, and when I go home to process so that I don't have alot of work or have to think too much about each image.

SOOC JPG at ISO 6400

Canon EOS 7D    100mm    f/2.8    1/100s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

100% crop of SOOC JPG

Raw of same image, tweaked, then processed in CS3

100% crop of raw->jpg image

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #11 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

One last example, this at ISO 12800. At this level, there seems to be very polarized views but I will try to remain as objective in my comments as on POTN.

This image still had about 1 stop headroom when I shot it, so it could actually be a bit better maybe. At this ISO level, DR of the image is pretty reduced, and you have to really saturate to get color back. This is in a back room that we are finishing in our basement, and the only way the 7D was focusing was in one shot. Very low light... probably even worse than stage events.

I won't even post the OOC JPG, just the final JPG that was resized to print as an 8x10 at 300 dpi after processing. It would look good as an 8x10, I wouldn't really push it any farther than that. Not great, alot of detail is lost, but it shows what you can do if you really needed to go to that ISO level to raise your shutter speed, for example.

To give you an idea of how low light, imagine shooting at f2.8 at ISO 3200 at 1/8th with any of your cameras.

You will find alot of people will post ISO 12800 shots, but basically only wallet sized web images, I have nothing to show or hide, so I post the 100% in about every analysis post I put up.

Canon EOS 7D    100mm    f/2.8    1/30s    12800 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #12 · How high do you push the ISO on your 60D?

Please PM me that link as well. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password