Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Roberta F.

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Ugggg, it's so frustrating when a nice new monitor (NEC MultiSync PA271W) arrives from B&H and I'm having trouble hooking it up to my PC. This monitor has a DVI dual-link cable and a Display Port. The back of my Lenovo does not have either connection. My Lenovo is about 1 1/2 yrs. old. I never thought to check the connections because my computer isn't that old. I called NEC and they told me to buy a VGA to DVI adapter. I run to Radio Shack, buy the adapter and hook it up....I'm getting a box that says, VIDEO INPUT...NO SIGNAL. Any advice from a nice person who feels sorry for someone who doesn't know what they are doing?! I would greatly appreciate any help.

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:48 AM
unknown_photog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

I hate to be the barer of bad news but a dual-link dvi cable is a different resolution than the VGA to DVI adapter. Regular DVI or VGA will only allow up to a 1900x1200 connection, so if your monitor is dual-dvi it means that it's higher res than 1900x1200.

They do sell digital converters that are pretty pricey, but before you buy the converter (which will also limit your resolution) you should buy a viDock. It's basically an external full sized video card for your laptop.

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Sorry to bare the bad news...wish I could of been more help.

Andy

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:00 AM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Roberta,

Try to get a docking station or 'mini-dock' for your Thinkpad, that will most likely have a DVI or HDMI on there.

VGA should work anyway, even if the resolution settings are not perfect ; I think you have to mess with the video output options in Windows to turn on your VGA port, sounds like it's physically connected but not configured.

You can start by right-clicking your desktop, going to Properties, and then Settings.

- slrl0ver

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Roberta,
Did you inspect the contents again because they usually put a small white adapter for VGA? Mine has 15pin to 15 pin, DVI to DVI and 15 pin to DVI with a white adapter.

Try to tighten the screw a little bit maybe it loose that's why you did not get any signal.
You can also try going to the control panel or right click your desktop. You will see a screen resolution, Click "detect" and it will show you the monitors you have. If you have 2 monitors, usually it will show 2 monitor.

Make sure the switch at the side is in the "On" position aside from the one in front.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

You'll be wasting the 2600 resolution on the monitor if you can't connect via display port or dual dvi (Display port looks like HDMI, but its not).

Send it back and get a cheap 1080p 27" if you are gonna use VGA

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gpchase
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

If you haven't yet resolved I'd say you need a different video card...one that has dvi out especially if your goal is to get high res..

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:12 AM
pkupcik
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Lenovo sells docking stations with DisplayPort. For example this one has dual DVI and dual Display Ports:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=433810U

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:22 AM
xvvvz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

I would start by getting the specs for your video card to confirm those first. It may not be able to output at a high enough resolution. If that is the case, you have a tough choice to either upgrade your laptop, build a desktop or try one of the external video card workarounds (seems like a bit of a hack to me).

As someone who is also working through the process of setting up a PA271W, one thing that I will pass along is that it isn't easy to implement/exploit the full 10 bit data stream these monitors can handle. Most consumer desktop video cards, even if they have a displayport connector, cannot output a 10 bit data stream. The hardware can actually handle it but the manufacturers cripple the driver to prevent it in order to force you to buy a "workstation" video card for lots more money. Additionally, pay the $30 for the displayport cable from NEC and save yourself some hassle. The majority of super cheap displayport cables will just give you trouble when it comes to supporting 10 bit data streams. Been there, done that.

Doug

Sep 10, 2012 at 02:58 PM
TwoMoocows
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NEC 27" monitor- trouble hooking up to PC

Does your Laptop have a HDMI out port?

If it does you might be able to try one of these:

Just make sure your pc can run at a high enough resolution and that the connectors are correct.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+to+dvi-d

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password