Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hiking with the camera

3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hiking with the camera

I have looked at the Black Rapid Carrier strap and it looks ideal for when hiking without backpack gear. It looks as though the cmera would do a lot of banging on the hip and agains rocks and trees.
I also looked at the Cotton Carrier which puts the camera right in front of you and is easly removed for photo work. It also has a QR foot for the monopod or tripod.
Does anyone have experience with either or both they could help me make up my mind?
I will be hiking the Tetons and Yellowstone with a D size camera and lenses. So they are realatively heavy.
Any alternate suggestions would be most helpful as well.
Thanks for you help and best wishes.

Edited on Jul 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:39 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hiking with the camera

Black Rapid strap is good but not ideal for hiking without the backpack. Its better to bring your backpack and tripod even though its heavy especially if you are going to take landscape pictures.

I'll tell you, I'm petite and when I was 6 months pregnant I was able to carry 2 bodies(5d2,5dc), 3 lenses(17-40,24-105,70-200), accessories, tripod, waterproof overshoe, umbrella and snacks and I was able to hiked the Ricketts glen, Smokey mountain, Acadia, fingerlakes region and canadian Rockies. If I can do it, you can do it too

Good luck with your decision.

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:17 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hiking with the camera

nelvayut: you are a tuff lady. Glad I didn't have to keep up with you.
You may have misunderstood my question somewhat. I like the idea behind theBlack Rapid for hiking without a backpack or short hikes. It seems the camera would be hitting against things like trees and rocks s well as the backpak and your leg constantly as you walk with a backpak. That is what concerns me. What has been your experience?
Thanks for sharing.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hiking with the camera

3iron wrote:
I have looked at the Black Rapid Carrier strap and it looks ideal for when hiking without backpack gear. It looks as though the cmera would do a lot of banging on the hip and agains rocks and trees.
I also looked at the Cotton Carrier which puts the camera right in front of you and is easly removed for photo work. It also has a QR foot for the monopod or tripod.
Does anyone have experience with either or both they could help me make up my mind?
I will be hiking the Tetons and Yellowstone with
...Show more

I've had them both. The CC is better. You're right about the BR banging and swinging around. Especially bad when you lean over. The con to the CC is that sometimes it can be hard to see in front of you. They have a video on their website that shows the inventor using it in a variety of active sport activities and that's pretty accurate.

The other thing you can do is if you are wearing a pack, TTP and Optech have straps that attache to the backpack harness and will support the camera. That's actually pretty comfortable (like the CC) because it's on your shoulders and counterbalanced by the pack weight.

J.

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:10 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hiking with the camera

I second John's comment......but then my pack is a 37 year old, thrice rebuilt Jansport D-5, so you have to consider the fact that I am truly an ancient curmudgeon (started with a Minolta SRT-101, which I still have).

Mine is set up to attach to the D rings that tie the sternum strap to the shoulder straps so that when I pop it loose to doff the pack it also frees the camera on one side. Somewhat similar to the Optech solution.

I will add that, regardless of which support system you try, it will only TRULY be reasonable with a small fixed prime or very small zoom. Your other gear will have to go in a pack of some type anyway.

FYI, I have a small daypack that I carry rolled up on my big critter that usually has my windbreaker in it....that also carries my camera gear once I start strolling around after setting up camp.

i have a couple professional photographer friends that use the Black Rapid system for things like Dog shows and the like where they are moving around stadiums and such. They love them, but I have the same concerns you mention and John mentions. The CC unit would probably be a better deal for a packless stroll.

Gene

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

3iron
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hiking with the camera

Thanks for your help, I think the CC system many be better for me.
I do understand that it wont work well with longer lenses, thanks for sharing that.
My longer lenses will have to be carried in the back pak
Best wishes to all.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:54 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hiking with the camera

WHy do you think it won't work with your longer lenses? I use my Cotton Carrier with 300MM and a 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4TC on it. It can go much bigger than that - a 400mm is probably fine too. Maybe I should ask "how long"?

J.

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hiking with the camera

I use the CC on my 500/4 with the mount on the lens, not the camera, and on my belt w/the CC system. Not for heavy duty hiking on rough stuff but works fine if I'm not climbing. Much easier on anything smaller than the 500.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM
mrbig

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hiking with the camera

The Luma Cinch works great for me. I can use it sling-style to hang to the side, but it also works great if you want to use it as a conventional strap with the camera in front of you. The cinch mechanism allows you to adjust it for either orientation.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hiking with the camera

When backpacking/hiking, I use one of the black rapid FastenR's :
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr3/

And hook it up to my backpacks's shoulder stap(under my arm) using one of these:
http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/fs_mini_carabiner.html

Fast to unclip, doesn't swing around, and secure. You do have to remember to take your camera off before you throw your bag down, though

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password