Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monopods

3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monopods

I monopod confused and need some help.
I see 3 section units and 4 section units, carbon fibre which looks like the way to go and am totally lost with the head.
Are they sturdy enough to be use as a walking stick while hiking?
Any thughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks and best wishes.

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Monopods

In general, the more sections it has, the shorter it is when "closed". This can be important if you want to travel with it. Carbon fibre pods are nice, as they're relatively light and not so cold to the touch for bare hands. OTOH, a neoprene grip section at the top of the monopod is always welcome. I can't say that I've never used a monopod to help with balance, but I would certainly not use it as a walking stick while hiking.

I highly recommend the Feisol CM-1471 carbon fibre monopod. It's small, light and relatively inexpensive ($128 at B&H). It's great for general purpose use, including travel, and it can easily handle lenses up to and including the 600/4L IS and 800/5.6L IS (which is lighter than the early 600's). Unfortunately, it can't handle the Canon EF 1200/5.6L or Sigma EX 200-500/2.8 APO IF HSM...

Depending on what you're going to do with the monopod, you might also want to consider a monopod head. This lets you point the lens up and down without having to lean the monopod a lot. Note that in order to point a lens up, you need a relatively long monopod, and the head helps a bit with this. For lens weights up to about 1.5 kg, the little Manfrotto 3232 tilt head works fine. For heavier lenses, the RRS MH-01 is the ticket. I have both.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:46 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Monopods

+1 for the Feisol monopod and the two heads mentioned. The 3232 head is sufficient for my longest lens (Canon 300/4L IS) and a Canon 1-series body, using an RRS quick release system.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:52 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Monopods

I just took a Sirui P-326 around the world (Beijing, Tokyo, Kamakura, Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Budapest and Paris) in a five-week span and I liked it a lot. It travels small and had plenty of stability for me with my D300s and 80-200 f/2.8 (which is pretty hefty)

jcolwell wrote:
For lens weights up to about 1.5 kg, the little Manfrotto 3232 tilt head works fine. For heavier lenses, the RRS MH-01 is the ticket. I have both.

Another alternative is the Sunwayfoto head I just reviewed. I like it a lot, and is a bit more affordable than the RRS:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1134021

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #5 · Monopods

Thanks to you, that is a big help. The number of sections and type of head were a real distraction for me.
Best wishes to all.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #6 · Monopods

You may want to look at Benro

http://www.benrousa.com/products/catalog_search.asp?ID=70&v1=0&v2=0&v3=0&v4=0

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:34 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Monopods

I have 3 'pods that all see their share of action teachin' BIF @ BDA. My hands down favorite is
my Berlebach w/Kirk QR clamp. Love wood, as it's BEST at killin' vibrations (crowded shooting decks/streams/etc.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512224-REG/Berlebach_12070_Model_112_2_Section_Wooden.html

They've also got a 3 section if you so desire.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:45 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Monopods

I shoot a lot with monopods and have more of them than I really should.

I find that the 3 section ones are too long when collapsed. When attached to a pack they seem to catch on everything especially if you are taking them in and out of cars, boats or planes. For that reason, I like them to be max carryon length (i.e. about 22") which seems to work well. And that usually means a 4 section leg. Don't be afraid to get one that looks thick and beefy. If it's made from CF it still will likely be really light weight.

I like the Gitzo's. They've lasted me through thick and thin, they are nice and light and I've abused them seriously and had no problems. Great product.

J.

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:02 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #9 · Monopods

Thank you all so much for your help. My apologies for not getting back earlier, other things kept me away.
You info. was very helpful.
Best wishes.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:51 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #10 · Monopods

jcolwell wrote:
In general, the more sections it has, the shorter it is when "closed". This can be important if you want to travel with it.

OTOH fewer sections mean more stability when extended. I use a Manfrotto 679B (3216) 3-section monopod I bought 15+ years ago.

Supports up to 22 lb (10kg)
Extends to 61.8" (157 cm)
Folds Down to 24.6" (62.5 cm)
Weighs 1.4 lb (0.7kg)

Solid as a rock, but I don't have to fit it onto an airplane carry-on.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password