Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Accused of being a perv?

MJphotography

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Accused of being a perv?

I absolutely love some low angle shots I see some photographers shoot during wedding receptions. I've seen some with many women in the background with skirts on. This has been a huge fear of mine. I'm certainly a professional and am there to do a job, but my fear of someone thinking I might have something else in mind scares the crap out of me! Have you ever had this fear or been called out on a shot to where you had to show someone what you were actually taking a photo of? I can't be alone with so many men in this profession, can I?

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:58 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #2 · Accused of being a perv?

this fear is not limited to men only. i like the low angle shots as well, but for my own safety's sake...it's feet and shoes only. i would not hesitate for a second to show someone if called out on that.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:23 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Accused of being a perv?

Uhh hasn't been a problem for me. Granted, chicks dig me.

Just don't be taking pictures if there are skirts in the foreground. If they are in the background, well you aren't exactly seeing anything you wouldn't see from eye level.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Accused of being a perv?

Just put the camera so its just higher than the skirt, or right next to the person

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Accused of being a perv?

Low angles in general, or some sort of specific composition? I often shoot low angles. Never had this problem, never even occurred to me. People will sometimes come out with some weird shit if they're drunk, but that's just them. I wouldn't give it anymore though personally.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:13 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · Accused of being a perv?

Just make sure no ones underpants are visible and you'll be fine. If you see under things do not click the shutter.

I once worked as a 2nd for a photographer that when ever she got low you could see her knickers plain as day and I'm sure a few guests got a glimpse as well. Basically its a risk people take whenever they don't wear pants.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:27 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Accused of being a perv?

Honestly, I've been around brides who drop their drawers (literally butt naked) before getting their dress on. Nothing phases me. If you feel or show fear, it will play off, and someone will call you on it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:48 PM
erwinbeckers

p.1 #8 · Accused of being a perv?

Sound so familiar!!!
When the dancefloor is getting really crowdy i love making shots of dancing feet&shoes
Offcourse I make sure that the shot only contains feet & shoes,
but yes... you get weird looks sometimes.
If i notice it, i immediately show the shot i made and clear things up.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:54 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Accused of being a perv?

Never had a problem. Then again I'm not a perv, well... you know I guess there's a spectrum ... I don't think I fall in the perv section of the spectrum... though I'm right next to it with all of my straight guy friends

It's happened that I caught something I shouldn't in up-shooting... I delete it before anyone could even question it, 'cause I don't want to accidentally deliver something that clearly wasn't meant to be seen.

In that respect I kind of feel that it's ok for me to capture stuff that others aren't meant to see... provided that I delete it ... you know I think of myself as the photographic equivalent of a lawyer or a doctor, or a priest... I might get to have some info that isn't meant for public consumption and because of that they need to be able to trust that the images will not be seen by anyone else AND that they won't make it into some weird PERSONAL COLLECTION.

And speaking of that...

An interesting psychological thing... ok, so I remember as a young teenager that my friends and I often fantasized about being able to sneak into an X-rated movie.... well guess what... while I certainly owuldn't claim that I've never seen an X-rated movie... once I was old enough to actually GO the ardent desire to sneak in was surprisingly replaced by a strong feeling of GROSS (yeah seriously... how well CAN they clean those seats anyway?)...

in a similar way... ten years ago if someone had told me that I could possibly have sexy shots of brides getting ready... that bridesmaids weould be going in and out of their bras in front of me... I would have thought "OH MAN!!! My own private collection! Whooo-Hooo!!!!" ... and as lame as that sounds the reality is that on a couple of occasions when a bridesmaid literally took her bra off in front of me the first words out of my mouth were "uh... straight, guy photographer in front of you, with camera, cover up :P" and the first reaction whenever I see photos that are more revealing than they should be and that don't have other redeeming qualities is DELETE... there is no collection.

If I keep that up I might start driving a minivan too..

...oh wait... we have one of those as well.

Here, let me just attach my mancard since I obviously don't need it :P

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:55 PM
larhouser
• •
p.1 #10 · Accused of being a perv?

Do it all the time and never had so much as a 'stern look'. But the fear is there for me too. I usually keep a couple of meters away from the nearest skirt and shoot that.

Deleted a photo on the spot once because I triggered right when a little girl stumbled, big flash of her kiddy underpants - opps! Burned it with fire on the spot and its all good.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Accused of being a perv?

I am not a wedding photographer but am concerned about perceptions arrived at by others... In today's society if one is accused of impropriety he / she is assumed guilty... The stigma lingers long after the issue is resolved... Anytime I photography Women, or children, I ask the parents, husband, or my wife to be present... If you are uncomfortable with the "Low angle" do not take it...

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:03 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Accused of being a perv?

I'm definitely a perv. Chris Beaumont will attest. I also shoot low angles from time to time. That's because they make for interesting compositions on occasions. I don't take my pervy side to weddings and when I do, I keep him locked up.

As has been said, show anyone who calls you on it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Accused of being a perv?

The only time i ever had someone think something due to angle was in 2004 in Canada. I was photographing two 15 year old girls, best friends.

For one shot i had them lay down next to each other in the grass to shoot them from above and the mother of one of the girls said she thought it was completely inappropriate and trying to sexualize them.

Caught me off guard.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:25 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Accused of being a perv?

Chris Fawkes wrote:
The only time i ever had someone think something due to angle was in 2004 in Canada. I was photographing two 15 year old girls, best friends.

For one shot i had them lay down next to each other in the grass to shoot them from above and the mother of one of the girls said she thought it was completely inappropriate and trying to sexualize them.

Caught me off guard.

Part of me thinks parents have a right to think what they want where there kids are concerned, but mostly I think that anyone who thinks lying down constitutes sexualisation simply needs to get their head checked.

I'd love to have lived in a less suspicious time.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Accused of being a perv?

I don't disagree with you. I didn't go through with the shot but for the rest of the shoot i was wondering what poses i might do that may have been deemed inappropriate.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:31 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Accused of being a perv?

Ask Chris Beaumont about up skirt shots and some of the ones which have appeared on his camera...

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #17 · Accused of being a perv?

lisy78 wrote:
in a similar way... ten years ago if someone had told me that I could possibly have sexy shots of brides getting ready... that bridesmaids weould be going in and out of their bras in front of me... I would have thought "OH MAN!!! My own private collection! Whooo-Hooo!!!!" ... and as lame as that sounds the reality is that on a couple of occasions when a bridesmaid literally took her bra off in front of me the first words out of my mouth were "uh... straight, guy photographer in front of you, with camera, cover up :P" and the
...Show more

When I was a kid, my best friends dad owned a hour hour photo place. His parents weren't around very much, which left lots of time for us kids to get into trouble...one day we were digging around their basement in a bunch of stuff we probably should have been in, when we found...well, lets just say not everyone has the same moral take Alessandro does on keeping a "collection" . This was back in the mid-1980s, and I think it didn't even occur to most people back then that someone actually had to handle those prints...it was just a kind of magic--you drop off a roll of film, back come your pictures in that handy envelope. We put the stuff back, and as far as I know his dad never knew we got into it. True story.
Today anything that won't get delivered gets tossed...there's no real reason to keep it if they wouldn't want it. I just get rid of them during the initial culling. Not that I get many like that anyway. Never occurred to me that shooting low might be seen that way either...I shoot a lot of low (kneeling) angles, and I guess at that height there isn't much chance of catching anything out of sorts anyway.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:04 PM
MJphotography

p.1 #18 · Accused of being a perv?

Yeah, it gets me even more nervous when a couple of women are on the dance floor all night, wearing short skirts because they are indeed looking for a man. We've all been in that situation where a couple of really hot chicks are on the dance floor and every eye, including the mad wives, are staring. And here comes the bride dancing her butt off and the photog trying to get an interesting perspective. Bam, your being a perv. Thanks for the responses guys! Glad I'm not alone.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:07 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Accused of being a perv?

You're thinking too much. If someone thinks you're doing something other than your job they are probably the pervert. I wouldn't show them a damn thing if they ask; I'm not out to prove anything to a stranger that doesn't know what I'm doing and how I do it. Believe me, if I were to try to photograph up a skirt/dress it will get done without being obvious (huge dslr = no).

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:13 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Accused of being a perv?

When I see operatives on the dance floor ... I send in my secret weapon...

The wife

haha

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password