New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

I recently noticed this strange behaviour in LR 4.1 with certain images when selecting the "Camera Landscape" calibration profile. Has anyone else noticed this?

100% crop

original image

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:39 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

This is the only part of the image affected; changing the calibration profile to "Camera Standard" (or any other profile besides "Camera Landscape") removes the strange artifact.

LR 4.1 "Camera Landscape" profile

LR 4.1 "Camera Standard" profile

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:47 AM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

That does look very strange, but I've never seen it. I just went through my raw library looking for similar images to test (dark tree limbs against blue sky) and could not duplicate the problem.

However, we need to remember that the camera profiles are different for specific camera models. The Camera Landscape profile for my Canon 5D2 has no problem, but that does not mean other camera model profiles are OK.

I'd suggest you upload the raw file somewhere and let others test it. That would help you determine if your problem is limited to your system or is across the board. If you have never uploaded a raw file, check out Dropbox.

Also, you might get better response at the Adobe Camera Raw forum. Lot's more knowledgeable users there, including the Adobe Camera Raw authors.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:55 AM
erwinbeckers

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

In one image, its sloppy postprocessing work
But.. Incorporate it in all your images and it becomes a style

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

That looks strange. When I take pictures I only use Raw Neutral and when I develop I only use "Adobe Standard Profile" under the camera calibration.
I just went to LR 4.1 and develop 1 image from a 5D3 and then I try the "Camera Landscape profile" but my image doesn't looks like yours. There's no artifacts at all. I noticed the "camera Landscape profile" adds brightness and contrast on the image compare with the "Adobe Standard profile" even though the Shadows, Red, green and blue primary is zero. Maybe you did some adjustment on the "camera landscape profile".

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

nelvayut wrote:
Maybe you did some adjustment on the "camera landscape profile".

No... all the adjustments are at their default settings.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:56 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

Fiddle with the controls for highlights or recovery (depending on which process version you are using) and perhaps sharpness and saturation.

I've had such loss of colour when trying to recover too much overexposed data with the highlights or recovery. It has been made worse by picture styles that exaggerate colour saturation or contrast.

You might find, for example, that reducing exposure or saturation a little will let you use the highlight or recovery control without causing the problem.

- Alan

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange LightRoom 4.1 Problem

Alan321 wrote:
Fiddle with the controls for highlights or recovery (depending on which process version you are using) and perhaps sharpness and saturation.

I've had such loss of colour when trying to recover too much overexposed data with the highlights or recovery. It has been made worse by picture styles that exaggerate colour saturation or contrast.

You might find, for example, that reducing exposure or saturation a little will let you use the highlight or recovery control without causing the problem.

- Alan

I haven't made any adjustments to highlights or shadows, or sharpness or saturation... this artifact appears if I choose the canned "Camera Landscape" calibration profile, and it goes away again if I choose any other profile.

I've also discovered the same strange artifact on some 1Ds Mark III files, where it appears if I change the white balance to anything other than "As Shot" but no other settings (including the "Camera Landscape" calibration profile) have any effect on it.

Maybe I just have a buggy LR installation...?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.