Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

rabbitmountain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Still on 5Dc and 40D, I want to keep ISO below 1600 on my 5D and below 800 on my 40D. Even with fast glass, sometimes I get low shutter speeds in the 1/60~1/125 range. What would you consider safe (meaning fast enough) for ceremonies? I think 1/250 would be best, but 1/60 could work if light is tight.

I use 35L, 50L and 70-200/2.8mkII.

Opinions please?

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:46 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Depends on the lens. Generally people are pretty still during ceremony so...

But yeah you might wanna get comfortable shooting at 1600/3200

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

TTLKurtis wrote:

This.

There's only one reason to not shoot 1600 and even 3200 on a 5D, and that reason is all in your head.

40D is a slightly different proposition.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

To be honest, without wanting to sound like a dick, if you're asking questions about shutter speeds, I'm questioning whether you have the experience to shoot a wedding. This is basic stuff.

To try and be helpful, it's a combination of three things, subject motion, focal length and how shaky you are. On the 35L with limited subject motion, 1/60th will be fine. On the long end of the 200 with subject motion and a shaky operator 1/200th probably wouldn't be enough.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #5 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Thanks for your insights. I do know where to find the shutter speed button, and I'm quite aware of the technical aspects of my camera. Just not experienced with weddings, so yes you are right I'm not qualified to take people's money for their weddings. And to start out, I won't charge anything and be honest about it. I know for sure I won't disappoint people though. Done two and they were really happy with their images.
I just wanted to ask you guys which shutter speeds you use.
I have taken very sharp images with my 70-200 @2.8 and 1/40, so the shake aspect is not an issue. It's purely about subject movement.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #6 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

About the ISO setting: I am not afraid to use ISO3200 on my 5D, or 1600 on my 40D. On the 40D, ISO3200 is too noisy. Only useable for B/W. It's just that I prefer 1600 max for my 5D (classic) and 800 max for the 40D.

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:05 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

assuming your camera is stabilized enough, for most of a typical ceremony you could freeze subjects at 1/30 just fine. but you'll need to be ready to quickly switch to a faster shutter for moments of action, like the first kiss, and certainly as they enter and exit the ceremony. I'd go for 1/80 for the first kiss and 1/125 for entrance and exit.

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:12 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Depends on the lens. Generally people are pretty still during ceremony so...

and just when you think people stand still during a ceremony, you end up with two that won't stay still. I always thought the same thing too. last year I had a couple that was jumping up and down during pretty much every important moment, it was crazy and I wasn't prepared for that

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:44 PM
erwinbeckers

p.1 #9 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

I use the following guideline for my shutterspeed:
- shutterspeed = 1/ (longest)focal length of my lens
- shutterspeed is never lower then 1/60s

So for my 85mm i use a min. shutterspeed of 1/85s and for my 70-200 a min of 1/200s
For my 35mm the minimum becomes 1/60s
I rather increase the ISO instead or shoot at a larger aperture then violation these rules

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:50 PM
fotorelic
• • •
p.1 #10 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Purely on subject motion, 1/60th is the lower threshold for relatively 'safe', sharp images. 1/30th is OK with a tripod or other support or stabilization, but you chance some degree of softness from subject motion--just breathing or standing there (swaying). 1/125th is better if they are moving at all--like laughing.

For processionals, coming head on at you, 1/125th would be the slowest I'd use. I use my 5Dc at ISO 1600 if I have to (do not underexpose). I prefer ISO 1250. My 40D is pretty much the same. You may not be sharpening your 40D files enough. What I thought was slightly soft was actually not sharpening my 40D files correctly. It takes more than for the 5D. More contrast too.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

sherijohnson wrote:
and just when you think people stand still during a ceremony, you end up with two that won't stay still. I always thought the same thing too. last year I had a couple that was jumping up and down during pretty much every important moment, it was crazy and I wasn't prepared for that

Surely something to see because this is unusual

OP, ....but Tony is right. Good suggestions here but nothing spectacular beyond the basics you would use for many other moving subjects and light you can't control.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:04 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #12 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Very good input so far, thank you folks. I'd like to elaborate some more on focal length.

Isn't framing more important than just focal length? For instance, when I want to get out of the way, I would say I could use the same shutter speed for a first kiss @200mm from a distance as the same framing with a 85mm from closer distance. 4 stop IS makes operator shake irrelevant.

Would you agree?

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:05 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #13 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

rabbitmountain wrote:
Very good input so far, thank you folks. I'd like to elaborate some more on focal length.

Isn't framing more important than just focal length? For instance, when I want to get out of the way, I would say I could use the same shutter speed for a first kiss @200mm from a distance as the same framing with a 85mm from closer distance. 4 stop IS makes operator shake irrelevant.

Would you agree?

Disagree. With the same framing, the shorter focal length lens will win every time. When you increase the focal length, you magnify the camera movement errors. With the longer lens, the same amount of "shake" during exposure will be spread over more pixels on the sensor.

I do agree that most of the time, you're at a shutter speed where IS will keep you out of trouble, but you're asking for a helluva lot if you're depending on it to consistently give you 4 stops of improvement at 200mm.

Edited on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

tonyhart wrote:
To be honest, without wanting to sound like a dick, if you're asking questions about shutter speeds, I'm questioning whether you have the experience to shoot a wedding. This is basic stuff.

To try and be helpful, it's a combination of three things, subject motion, focal length and how shaky you are. On the 35L with limited subject motion, 1/60th will be fine. On the long end of the 200 with subject motion and a shaky operator 1/200th probably wouldn't be enough.

Exactly my thoughts.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #15 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

@Aborr: I do know that longer FL will increase camera movement errors. However, I have never had camera movement induced blur with my 70-200/2.8mkII as long as I stay faster than 1/60.
I have lots of info now, so thank you guys, I value your input.

Stay good,
Ralph.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #16 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

With VR, if my subjects are still, I can get 1 out of 2 photos crystal clear at 1/15th at 200mm.

When people are walking down the aisle, I am usually at ISO 1600-3200, f/1.4-f/2, but my shutter speed always remains at least at 1/160. Unless I can see that they're really taking their time, Then 1/125 or 1/100.

Up front standing still on stage? 1/50 at 50mm. 1/100 at 85mm. 1/20-1/30 from 70-200 with VR.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:16 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

and if you are shaky, buy a lightweight monopod.

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:05 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #18 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
With VR, if my subjects are still, I can get 1 out of 2 photos crystal clear at 1/15th at 200mm.

Yes I've done that too and at 1/15th you're just within the 4 stops IS. The question is though, whether it's safe. When you're shooting a one-time event (like a wedding) with one-time fast paced moments like a first kiss, you can't afford to miss it.
Still I have tried 1/15th~1/40th with my 70-200/2.8mkII at weddings, but only for candids of guests, not essential images of the B&G.

When people are walking down the aisle, I am usually at ISO 1600-3200, f/1.4-f/2, but my shutter speed always remains at least at 1/160. Unless I can see that they're really taking their time, Then 1/125 or 1/100.
Thanks, that sounds like a good advice

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:05 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Safe shutter speed for ceremony?

cordellwillis wrote:
Surely something to see because this is unusual

OP, ....but Tony is right. Good suggestions here but nothing spectacular beyond the basics you would use for many other moving subjects and light you can't control.

yes, it certainly was unusual and right after the ceremony was over and I made it to the front, I asked my husband if he got all of that on video because the video footage is priceless, and yes, he did get it all on video thankfully

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password