Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

colincarter46
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

less than 1% in my opinion have a problem.

there are probably about 250,000 D800 users now, maybe more looking at how many Nikon are making a month and how many have gone back?

the internet and forums blow problems out of all proportions.

people think that these forums represent a percentage of the user base and they dont, the fact is most camera users dont even look at these forums, and alot dont even know about them.

all the people that i know, that have them, got perfect working copies

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Nikon Rob wrote:
To me that doesn't sound like the AF misalignment issue people are reporting (but I could be wrong). I had that happen when I first tried my camera simply because of what I was trying to focus on. The outer focus points only detect information vertically, and I guess the object I was trying to focus on was repetitive along that axis, so it was missing focus. When I tried focusing on something else it worked fine. Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't see how else the autofocus could be affected by the orientation of the camera, since the
...Show more

The camera has orientation sensors to adjust metering patterns based on camera orientation, and the D800/D800E have the AF point and metering pattern closely linked, so there's no reason not to think the camera orientation could have some effect on this.

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.3 #3 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

molson wrote:
The camera has orientation sensors to adjust metering patterns based on camera orientation, and the D800/D800E have the AF point and metering pattern closely linked, so there's no reason not to think the camera orientation could have some effect on this.

There's absolutely no question that the left AF problem is occuriring in

Do you have a resource for that information? On Nikon cameras, I know the autofocus POINT affects spot metering, but the metering should not affect the autofocus (especially considering you're probably testing in manual mode). I can imagine the metering algorithm could be based on orientation (maybe it assumes the light source is coming from above), but that again has nothing to do with focus. I'd be interested in learning why (and how) they would have metering affect the focus. I thought I understood how phase-detect focus was calculated, so I'm curious as to how the orientation could be used (mathematically) in the calculation. Let me know if you remember where you read that. Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.3 #4 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

3 D800es, with focusing issue
1 D800 with focusing issue

not bothering to send it in

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:43 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Nikon Rob wrote:
Do you have a resource for that information? On Nikon cameras, I know the autofocus POINT affects spot metering, but the metering should not affect the autofocus (especially considering you're probably testing in manual mode). I can imagine the metering algorithm could be based on orientation (maybe it assumes the light source is coming from above), but that again has nothing to do with focus. I'd be interested in learning why (and how) they would have metering affect the focus. I thought I understood how phase-detect focus was calculated, so I'm curious as to how the orientation could be
...Show more

Most Canon and Nikon cameras with multi-pattern metering have had the orientation-sensing feature going all the way back to the late 1980's...

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.3 #6 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

molson wrote:
Most Canon and Nikon cameras with multi-pattern metering have had the orientation-sensing feature going all the way back to the late 1980's...

Did you even read my post? I know the camera has a gyro/sensor to detect orientation. I asked how and why the metering would affect the focus, or in turn how orientation would affect focusing (NOT metering). Anyone else care to chime in? I seriously doubt orientation affects focusing (unless it's because of a mechanical problem with your lens).

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #7 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

My D800E has the problem with 24/1.4G wide open.
It would be nice to know how many users in the survey tested with 24Gst 1.4 as that is a more stringent test for the problem.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM
caad4rep
• •
p.3 #8 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

wayne seltzer wrote:
My D800E has the problem with 24/1.4G wide open.
It would be nice to know how many users in the survey tested with 24Gst 1.4 as that is a more stringent test for the problem.

I tested a 14-24, 24g, 28g, 24-70, 50d & 85d. Left AF point failed on them all. I tried two different 24g's and they both would have needed about -50 fine tune to get the center to look good. The 24 was bad on my camera which is sad because it was rockstar on my D3

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:13 AM
patriot
• •
p.3 #9 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Nikon Rob wrote:
If you have the left AF problem, on the same target, the right bank will be able to achieve focus, and the left bank will lock but the target will be OOF. Since both right and left banks have the same sensors, and limitations, both should be the same. So if neither side can achieve focus on a target, it could be the target.

However, the left AF problem is not that the AF won't lock. The camera thinks it achieved focus, so it locks. There's no hunting, which is usually what happens when the target is not suitable.

This
...Show more

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Woodenfrog

p.3 #10 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

My D800 arrived yesterday. I tested it using 50mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4.0, and 85mm f/1.8. And I don't have the left focus problem with any of those lens.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.3 #11 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Mine has the focus issue. It's backfocusing on the left side and inconsistent focus accuracy on the right. Only center point is reliable.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:18 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.3 #12 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Finally got around to testing (using Thom Hogan's method) both of my D800's, and both have the left focus sensor problem. Serial numbers are 30038** and 30051**. Will be contacting Nikon...

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:47 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.3 #13 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Woodenfrog wrote:
My D800 arrived yesterday. I tested it using 50mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4.0, and 85mm f/1.8. And I don't have the left focus problem with any of those lens.

My issue only shows up on my 24 and 28. 50 is fine so you may want to check with a wider lens.

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Geoff_K

p.3 #14 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

wellllllllllll, I thought I had a winner but ... it looks like strike #3 on the D800E

Here is a link to a test I just ran. I thought I was OK and stopped test shooting, but noticed in some of my sports shots a problem, so tested again.

I taped newspaper to my garage door - set my lens to F3 - ISO 100 - Shutter was 1/4000th - shutter lockup used on a tripod (though at 1/4000th and 50mm lens I dont think it mattered)- I took 3 shots at each of teh 3 focus points - reracking focus between shots and kept the best looking of the three.

The left and right focus points are (in my opinion) terrible. left seems worse

I think I may be done with the D800 line of camera for the rest of the year and possibly forever. Strike 3 usually means you are out.

I would be happy to hear what I did wrong and how that wrongness made the images look so bad. PLEASE tell me I messed up as I would rather keep the camera because the photos are spectacular compared to my D90. ;- )

The file sizes are large due to side by side comparisons of the 3 points. Goto original size to make a judgement on my complaint please.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36026557@N05/sets/72157631614417650/

I am so very disappointed.

edit to add .. SN 3005xxx

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:23 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.3 #15 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

I finally checked mine earlier this month.. and sure enough issues.
Its gone now.

Sadly, I'm not have great luck with the D600 either

In non-controlled tests (do they count?) the left AF is off. or inconsistant (bad lighting)

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Geoff_K

p.3 #16 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

WOW vchowdhary

If the D600 also has the left focus issue, WHAT is Nikon doing ? One would think they would have checked for this issue since it is something that many/some D800 users have experienced.

I would think a company would want a different problem in their new camera, not a rehash of one that may or may not have a fix.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.3 #17 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Geoff_K wrote:
WOW vchowdhary

If the D600 also has the left focus issue, WHAT is Nikon doing ? One would think they would have checked for this issue since it is something that many/some D800 users have experienced.

I would think a company would want a different problem in their new camera, not a rehash of one that may or may not have a fix.

Sorry,I just shot handheld using my D600 focused on a hanging light switch and found the left AF inconsistent. Please don't take this to mean that the D600 has a left AF issue similar to that of the Nikon D800. It is not my intent to create or spread such misinformation.
I am going to test it more thoroughly when I get a chance.

The D800 left af issue though not truly impacting my ability to take pictures. could impact the possible resale of said product, So I argued with the dealer to take it back for a refund. Even 15 days outside of the return window.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:44 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.3 #18 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

kwilliam8 wrote:
Finally got around to testing (using Thom Hogan's method) both of my D800's, and both have the left focus sensor problem. Serial numbers are 30038** and 30051**. Will be contacting Nikon...

Seems like Nikon admits there is a problem according to Falk Lumo of Germany:

http://falklumo.blogspot.de/2012/09/photokina-2012-nikon-talks-about-d800s.html

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:22 PM
dazey

p.3 #19 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

I was buying a D4 today to replace my D3. The shop had two, the first was new in and on new firmware, exhibited left focus issues, centre was OK, right not bad but left soft. We then tried the shop model (original firmware) which was at times worse, producing a few really nasty examples. We tested with an 85mm f1.4 at 1.4 and 2.8 and a shop model, brand new 24?-70mm f2.8 zoom at 70mm. The zoom was a little better, probably due to the shorter length. I am giving up on the D4 now and going back to the D3. Hopefully they will sort this on the D4S. To me it highlights the advantage of EVFs and hybrid viewfinders. I love the optical finders but if Nikon can't get a pro body to focus this late in the game, I think EVFs or hybrids have to be the future.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
hkurkela
• •
p.3 #20 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

hkurkela wrote:
I have a D4 and a D800E and both are OK, as far as I can see from my testing.
Heikki

I send my D4 & D800E for first sensor cleaning and overall checking. Asked the service company to also check if the cameras are OK for focus issue. My D4 was all OK, but my D800E needed to be adjusted due to left side focus issue. Have to say that I didn't notice any problem in my photographing with my D800E during the first 14000 pics

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:06 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password