Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

Jim McCann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

So now that I have this brand new mega expensive lens attached to a Canon 5D Mk III with battery grip, I need the best case available to carry it around with me here in Alaska where I live.

Any experience to guide me in my decision?

Thanks!

Jim

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:21 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

Kinesis and Tenba both make one.

If you want a backpack that can handle any other gear you may have, look at a Gura Gear Kibuko 30. Can hold lens with camera mounted and a bunch of other stuff. Light too, weighing in at only 4 lbs.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:40 PM
netmonster

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

I have a Kiboko 30L from Gura Gear that I like a lot. I can fit my 500 with the body attached

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:31 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

The Dakine Sequence 33L was recommended to me by a photographer that shoots Nature, as well as skiing/snowboarding, architecture. . . he loads it up, straps on his board and spends the day shooting. Says it is the only backback that stays comfortable and holds up year after year. You can remove the inner Camera Pack, and then use the shell as a backpack. $200.

Take a look at the measurements and layout and see if that will fit your telescope. .. Um. .er. .lens.

I ordered mine from www.dogfunk.com (very cool company). $135!!!!! Included shipping.
http://www.jaygoodrich.com/ (photographer)

Jul 24, 2012 at 07:10 AM
ScatterCrSport

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

The Tamrac 5793 will accept an EF800 5.6L IS with a 1D4 attached.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

I had the same dilemma ...ended up with http://www.naturescapes.net/store/kinesis-l511-compact-long-lens-case-500.html

Kinesis L511 which stores the lens with camera attached and has outside pockets for another body or another lens/accessories.

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

The backpack I use for my 500mm f/4 IS is the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration Ver 2. The 500 attached to a Pro body will fit quite nicely in this bacpack. ThinkTank recently released the next gen of this backpack which is a bit longer to fit the 600mm. The new model is lighter and when I looked at it at a camera show, I was disappointed with the quality. If you decide to go with the backpack I use, make sure you find the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration V2. I highly recommend it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

Thanks, friends! Been looking at a nifty KATA super-tele lens bag online. Anyone have any input on them?

Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

I sometimes carry my 500/4L IS in a Kinesis L511 long lens case with an add-on set of backpack replacement staps that I picked up at MEC (US read REI). Works great!

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best ideas for a backpack to carry new Canon 500 lens?

I use the Kinesis L511, a Lowepro backpack, or a Vertex Big Lens Bag depending on the circumstances. There is no single perfect bag.

EBH

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.