Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

photogreen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

I've been playing with this Promaster unit for over a month and summarized my thoughts on it in this write up:
Promaster Duolight 250

The concept seemed cool, so I gave it a try. At this point, my conclusion is that, while not perfect, this flash is probably the first hybrid light that can actually be used for both photo and video applications. I really like the number of power source options, especially the camcorder battery one. Also, Promaster wasn't shy to include various accessories "for free". The built-in radio triggering can be very handy for someone who's starting out and cannot invest in fancy triggers.

Would like to see what good people here think about this.

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:04 AM
Edgar M
• • •
p.1 #2 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

Interesting..but it doesn't state what kind of LEDs, beam spread degree, color temp, lumens/brightness (i guess watts), etc.

This little thing seems much tougher built, higher quality, SMD/Cree Led, 4200k, brighter (343 lumens or 23 tungsten watts), cheaper in price and also fits in your pocket:
http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Floody-18650-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_88.html

Just strap one on a mic-hotshoe-mount on top of your camera, or handhold it or mount it somewhere for an off camera light source.

Or..the Cineroid LED panels look much nicer and better quality for a similar price as that cheapy-brand Promaster light.

Jul 24, 2012 at 06:43 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #3 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

this one should be more powerful that the "zebra". it has 6 LED's and rated at 18watts (not sure what tungsten equivalent is)

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:36 AM
Edgar M
• • •
p.1 #4 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

18 watts IS 18 tungsten watts. The Zebra is 23-25 watts.

Zebra has a high quality SMD LED made by Cree, one of the best LED manufacturers.

Numbers doesn't really matter... ex: this Fotodiox has 209 cheap LEDs encased in a housing: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Lighting-Removable-Camcorder-HDR-XR160/dp/B006P558HY ....but it has roughly the same lumens/lux/watt power as the tiny H600fw Zebralight. And, the fotodiox is only 60 beam spread, whereas the Zebra has a nice and wider 90 spread. And reviews say the Fotodiox is inaacurate in color, power and also has a green tinge/spike in the histogram and to the eye.

I wouldn't waste my time with that Promaster...it doesn't even state all kinds of relevant things you need to know when shopping for a good light - beam spread, what kind of LEDs, lumen output, color temp, etc. Seems like a gimmick more than anything.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:58 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #5 · STROBE/LED hybrid lighting system

Edgar Maguyon wrote:
18 watts IS 18 tungsten watts. The Zebra is 23-25 watts.

Zebra has a high quality SMD LED made by Cree, one of the best LED manufacturers.

Numbers doesn't really matter... ex: this Fotodiox has 209 cheap LEDs encased in a housing: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Lighting-Removable-Camcorder-HDR-XR160/dp/B006P558HY ....but it has roughly the same lumens/lux/watt power as the tiny H600fw Zebralight. And, the fotodiox is only 60 beam spread, whereas the Zebra has a nice and wider 90 spread. And reviews say the Fotodiox is inaacurate in color, power and also has a green tinge/spike in the histogram and to the eye.

I wouldn't waste my
...Show more

I think you are right in your criticism. Those kind of things should be specified. I've actually contacted Promaster trying to get some answers. So far, I only have the color temperature: 5500K + or - 200K. Still waiting for the answer on lumens.

Aug 22, 2012 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password