Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

while controlled comparisons + statistical results are great, I'm also interested in the general thoughts of early 1DX adopters who've also used the 1DsmkIII extensively..

very curious about Canon's claims of added captured detail in the 1DX, though I'd be very surprised at drastically improved dynamic range at ISO100 seeing as that the 1DsIII still holds its own vs the 5D3 at this range.. any & all thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated! (& if comparisons are possible, that'd be even awesomer )

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:09 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

me too, because the used price of 1dsmk3's is dropping quickly. It is below 3k now and going past 2500 downward. The only downside I see is the iso 3200 max - is that a problem? Just use fast lenses? Is the cameras age a problem? Sounds like it was ahead of its time.

Thx

Joe

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:09 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

the 1DsmkIII is an amazing body if you can put up with the outdated screen & if you don't need speed (not being able to take advantage of fast cards), just about perfect for most of my event coverage needs to be honest. the only reason I even have a 5DmkIII now is because of weight (my assistants hated my heavy 1-series units), but i miss focus-point-linked spot metering & a fully functional viewfinder each time I pick up the 5DmkIII..

i typically shoot it at ISO1600 max for weddings, but most people would be fairly comfortable with the noise in a well exposed ISO3200 image for sure.. i anticipate being able to shoot at ISO3200 comfortably with the 1DX, or stretching it to 6400 when absolutely needed - just need to know how the 1DsmkIII & 1DX compare at ISO 100 now =)

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

quick bump - any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

I would like to know more about this as well. Lets assume the 1DsIII is better at 100. I would like to know at what point the 1Dx takes over, iso 400,800? with output size the same.

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:26 PM
jffielde
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

Perhaps of relevance here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=41966569&changemode=1

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:44 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

Paul Tessier wrote:
I would like to know more about this as well. Lets assume the 1DsIII is better at 100. I would like to know at what point the 1Dx takes over, iso 400,800? with output size the same.

the 5D3 slightly surpasses the 1Ds3 (arguably, because at identical ISOs up to 800 I still like the 1Ds3 skin tones + colours a little bit better than the 5D3 - i might just be partial to the look of 1Ds3 RAW files), so my wild + optimistic guess would be that the 1DX takes over slightly at ISO400..

which would be more than slightly disappointing to me for all the marketing hype that Canon threw into the 1DX product release.. while 21.1MP should trump 18MP at base/noiseless ISO100, I would hope Canon had some special sauce cooking these past few years that would allow the 1DX to at least match the dynamic range output of the 1Ds3, with output size the same.. it's been said by others in other threads, but it seems that the 1DX is able to squeeze out a bit more detail than most are used to seeing in Canon's previous flagship sport cameras, so i'm hoping this applies to ISO100 vs the previous full-frame champ as well.

..but i'm probably dreaming =(

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Biggles100

p.1 #8 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

Finaly I got my test-1Dx from Canon. I tested the camera beside a 5D3 and my 1Ds3 in the studio at iso 100.
In the end I can say I am very satisfied with the 18mp files from the 1Dx. At 200% on the monitor I could see a little difference in detail in favor of the 1Ds3 and 5D3. It's there but hardly noticeable in the final print.
Just for fun I printed a portrait on 40"x60" from the 1Dx file. It simply looked great !
When I returned the camera to Canon I showed them the prints I made and they were as surprised as I was.
So now I can confidently say that the 1Dx is easy to use as a replacement from the 1Ds3. The better allround performance of the X is of course a big bonus.

Just a second note. In the studio I found the X very responsive and precise. The feel and grip of the camera are even better than the 1Ds3 to my liking.
The sound of the shutter is very pleasant, very solid. Way better than the metal sound of the 5D3. But that's just personal.

So, I placed the order for the X. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Jon_Doh
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

Thanks for the comparison, Biggles. Very helpful to see how the 1Dx compares to other cameras in the 1D line.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:09 PM
white

p.1 #10 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

I have had my 1Dx for about ten days now. Previously, I was using a 1Ds3 for the last four and a half years.

Although under extremely close examination you could argue that the 1Ds3 has imperceptibly more resolution, the 1Dx files are just so much smoother and of a higher caliber. The highlights and shadows of the 1Dx can clearly be pushed more. Combine this with all the other advancements and operational improvements, and I am 110% satisfied to retire my 1Ds3 completely as a back up only body, never to be used again. I am completely happy with this body and can fully recommend it. Canon has scored here.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:48 PM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

^^^ could not have said it any better.

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:04 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

thanks for the feedback biggles, white & Stan - very helpful & comforting to me =D

i'll also share a contrary opinion I found at Canonrumours ( http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8289.msg151644#msg151644 ) :

M. ST wrote:
I have the 1D X, the 5D Mark III and further bodies.

1DX is faster, AF is better and the picture quality is better in high ISO shots.

The 5D Mark III has a smaller body and the C1 to C3 on the wheel. If I was a wedding Photographer I would prefer the 5D Mark III.

In the range ISO 50 to 200 my old 1Ds Mark III beats the 1D X and the 5D Mark III, but the 1Ds Mark III is much slower and not so good in high ISO shots.

I use the 1D X
...Show more

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:27 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

final bump.. any more feedback from early 1DX adopters who've shot at ISO100 extensively thus far?

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:56 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 1DX vs 1DsmkIII at ISO 100?

white wrote:
I have had my 1Dx for about ten days now. Previously, I was using a 1Ds3 for the last four and a half years.

Although under extremely close examination you could argue that the 1Ds3 has imperceptibly more resolution, the 1Dx files are just so much smoother and of a higher caliber. The highlights and shadows of the 1Dx can clearly be pushed more. Combine this with all the other advancements and operational improvements, and I am 110% satisfied to retire my 1Ds3 completely as a back up only body, never to be used again. I am completely happy with this
...Show more

I assume you mean taking into account all ISOs at once?

I don't think that would be true at ISO100-200, 1Ds3 files I have seen looked more pushable at low ISO, by a modest amount, over 1DX. 1DX does produce smoother files at any ISO but usually smoothness isn't too much of a trouble at ISO100-200 from any modern FF, it's probably a solid stop smoother though in mid and upper tones. But RAWs i've compared from both 1Ds3 shadows behaved just a bit better. I don't have enough files and experience to say the degree of difference though, perhaps it doesn't matter much to care about between the two.

Once you go a bit higher 1DX seems to be a lot more pushable though be it deep shadows or mid tones and vastly so once you are into very high iso.

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password