New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · EOS M or G1X?

Jim Quinn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS M or G1X?

According to photos I've seen online, the new Canon EOS M camera (when fitted with the new 22 millimeter M lens) is pretty close in size to Canon's own G1X. The EOS M has a slightly larger sensor than the one in the G1X, and of course the owner can add the M-series18-55 zoom - and any Canon-compatible EF or EF-S lens with the adapter. The little 22 millimeter lens (roughly a 35 millimeter equivalent, I believe) is an F:2, faster than the widest aperture on the G1X's built-in zoom lens.

But neither one is as compact as the battered Canon G9 I've been carrying in a belt pouch for years. And when you add the new (and, in the US, optional at extra cost) EX Speedlite and the M zoom, or any Canon-compatible lens with the adapter, the EOS M becomes even more of a brick, requiring some sort of bag or large fanny pack to carry the extra bits around. It's no EOS-1D X, of course, but it won't fit in a belt pouch, either.

By contrast, the G1X, even though a bit larger than most predecessors in the G series, is an all-in-one package, with a built-in flash (with its admitted limitations) AND a hotshoe that can accept any Canon flash (though some of those flashes are larger than the camera!). And it has a feature I find very useful - a fully articulated LCD finder that allows accurate framing of both vertical and horizontal photos from low or high angles. The EOS M doesn't have that, though it may show up in future models.

At the moment, and for the way I use a small "always with you" camera, I'm more tempted by the G1X than the EOS M. I would be interested in your reaction to the new camera.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:56 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS M or G1X?

EOS M vs GX1 Size:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#351,257

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:20 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS M or G1X?

EOS M vs G9 Size:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#351,191

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS M or G1X?

G1X is dunzo. Game over.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:28 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS M or G1X?

G1x still has the advantage if you include a zoom lens as a smaller package.

G series always has had me a little confused though, great cameras yet just too big to be pocketable and not good enough to replace an slr.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:35 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS M or G1X?

The G series segment just died. It's not officially yet though

The G still has a few points the M can't offer like you mentioned, the articulated screen, the compact zoom lens and a totally different ergonomic concept.

In the department of image quality and creative possibilities, the mount and adapter to the EF system, the M is the better camera. Additional future models in the M system will have features of the current G1X.

The only reason to buy the G1X today should be that the package the camera is, is fitting your bill perfectly now and in the next few years. The M is not available now, you'l have to wait until the autumn. If you can wait, the M is the better future proof camera. If you are already in the EOS system this M could add EOSfun. If not, there are some interesting alternatives from the competition that you should definitely take into account. Canon is no longer leader in this segment, so don't ignore the offerings from Sony, Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic and a few others to be sure yoy choose the camera that fits your needs the best.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS M or G1X?

eosfun wrote:
Additional future models in the M system will have features of the current G1X.

They will have MORE features than the current G1X, you just have to wait for them to appear.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS M or G1X?

None.
Canon t4i would be my choice for a small, go anywhere camera.
If you really have to pick between the two today then G1X looks like a better choice. It's a complete package with a great sensor, decent lens, flash, flip-out screen, and indestructible body And it's available Who knows what the future brings...

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS M or G1X?

They will have MORE features than the current G1X, you just have to wait for them to appear.

Sure, of course. What I meant to say is that future M-series models will have some of the current G1X features that the EOS-M lacks now included (as well). Anyway have EOSfun

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:22 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS M or G1X?

A 'G' body with interchangeable lenses would be nice........any reason why the new M lenses / mount couldn't find it way into the next generation of G cameras?

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS M or G1X?

gfiksel wrote:
None.
If you really have to pick between the two today then G1X looks like a better choice. It's a complete package with a great sensor, decent lens, flash, flip-out screen, and indestructible body And it's available Who knows what the future brings...

+1

The G1X is my 4th G and I use it as a supplement to my DSLRs. Is has great IQ for a P&S, you can get a reasonably priced underwater housing for it. It easily mounts a polarizer filter. And its a complete integrated camera. The G's f2.8 - 5.8 28-110 mm lens is more compact than the M's f3.5-5.6 28-90 lens. The M takes away user interface and controls and adds the ability to switch lenses and has a better movie mode. I doubt the touch screen will adapt to an underwater housing. They have the same introductory price with the M including only the prime - the zoom, flash and EF adaptor are additional hundreds. The M has a faster frame rate and AF with its two M lenses, but probably not with EF lenses. All things considered they are pretty even cameras. I'd still opt for the G.

Neither would satisfy me as my only camera. So pick the features you like, a swivel LCD or an f2 prime, a built in flash or fiddling with your EF lenses on a P&S body. They both will have near equivalent IQ and either can be bested by any 5D.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:25 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS M or G1X?

Sony RX100 has killed the G1X. Almost as small as a S100, same sensor as Nikon V1/J1, all the advanced functions you want, fast lens so effectively more DoF control, than G1X. G1X is caught in no man's land now between advanced compact with biggish sensor and IL mirrorless cameras. It's bulky and ugly and Canon deliberately crippled it on several fronts and it's VF is so bad they should have left it off altogether.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS M or G1X?

anthonygh wrote:
A 'G' body with interchangeable lenses would be nice........any reason why the new M lenses / mount couldn't find it way into the next generation of G cameras?

G1X sensor is a bit smaller than EOS-M so EOS-M lenses would certainly fit, but what's the point of having a G series that would be almost identical to the EOS-M other than a 4:3 format version of the sensor if you can change lenses. You want that you buy the EOS-M. II can see now reason at all for a IL version of a G series. It's bigger, bulkier and uglier.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS M or G1X?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sony RX100 has killed the G1X.

Let's agree to disagree on this one. 21 MP in a sensor 2/3 the size of the G1X? I don't think so. Ugly Are any of these cameras pretty? That 5DIII (for sarcastic example) is so beautiful I just want to rub up against it.

Edited on Jul 23, 2012 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS M or G1X?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Let's agree to disagree on this one. 21 MP in a sensor 2/3 the size of the G1X? I don't think so.

You are missing the point. The IQ is still great and to most people the size factor trumps all. The G1X might have better IQ above ISO 800, but it offers few advantages and several disadvantages. Like I said it's in no man's land now. EOS-M above if you must have Canon, and a damned good camera that blows away the S100 on sensor and lens speed, while being only a tad bigger, so still easily pocketable.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS M or G1X?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Like I said it's in no man's land now.

Ok, I can accept that. Its just one of hundreds of choices we have in P&S cameras these days. It suits me better than the Sony but I never thought of it as being superior to all other cameras.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS M or G1X?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Ok, I can accept that. Its just one of hundreds of choices we have in P&S cameras these days. It suits me better than the Sony but I never thought of it as being superior to all other cameras.

The Sony has finally put a big sensor in a tiny camera while all it's direct competitors soldier on with tiny sensors, although Fuji made some attempt by going to a 2/3" sensor. That alone is a seismic shift for the super advanced P&S that have RAW capabilities. I'm not saying it's anywhere near perfect, but seriously why would you choose the competitors now other than purely on price? The G1X has great IQ, but now sort of seems a wasted effort in light of the EOS-M. Unless you use your G1X at high ISO a lot, you wouldn't be losing too much if anything moving to the Sony for a truly pocketable, high quality camera. And the Sony can do well to ISO 1600 at least.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS M or G1X?

Well, for my use, the only advantage of the M over the G is the 3:2 aspect sensor vs the G's 4:3. That is not insignificant, but probably not killer at normal viewing resolutions. 10.7 MP to 15.1 MP cropped 16:9. The G's standard zoom is much more compact than the M's, is faster at the wide end and has more reach. The M would not be pocketable with the kit zoom. The prime would be fun, but a toy like the pancake on a 5D. Use with an underwater housing is important to me. Can't or won't do that with the 5D. I use the swivel LCD and built-in flash often enough that I'd miss them. I even occasionally use the OVF when the sun is really bright. I agree its not great but I'm glad its there.

The Sony is probably a fine camera. So are the m4/3s. I'm not trashing any of them. I'm used to the Gs, probably just habit and familiarity, like using Canon DSLRs. I'm delighted with the IQ improvement of the G1X over the G10 and I liked the G10. I would probably be just as happy if I'd gotten the M first. I see them as essentially equivalent, trade this for that. Assuming there's a U/W housing, that is.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:51 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS M or G1X?

gfiksel wrote:
None.

agreed - the t4i makes a lot more sense to me than the eos-m. Neither is pocketable with a lens on it, so the larger size of the rebel isn't really a minus. The rebel already has a flash and can take an ef mount without spending another dime; the eos-m will cost you another $350 for that capability.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:04 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS M or G1X?

I feel hesitant to buy a camera that does not have an integrated lens or af lens adjust. What is one to do if the attached lens does not resolve properly - can the lens, send the camera in, enjoy frustration?

Joe

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.