New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

lsutigerfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

I have read somewhere that aperture is fixed in D800 video unless you are streaming to external device? Since my D800 arrives today or tomorrow, i have no way of knowing TRULY what video limitations or advantages the D800 has.

My question is this: I own three (3) AF-D lenses: Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8; Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D, and Nikon 85/1.8 AF-D. Can I change aperture if saving internally in VIDEO MODE? Or will the camera not expose the image correctly?

Please let me know what your experience with this issue is....and I only ask the question because I really want either the new 50/1.8g or 85/1.8g

Thanks so much

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:17 PM
powderific
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

Where'd you hear that? One of the things they touted with the D800's video mode is the ability to smoothly change aperture in video mode with the "power aperture" thing. I don't really use powered aperture as I seldom go between different areas while shooting, but I've definitely adjusted aperture the regular way while recording internally.

edit to add that doing so works find with the 50 1.8 and other lenses I have. Also wanted to add that I always shoot video in manual mode, are you referring to something related to having it in aperture priority mode while shooting video?

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

Since you have D lenses, use manual and get just change the aperature by using the aperature ring. I think you'll find that manual on a tripod is the best way to image video with a DSLR.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:58 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

You can change aperture on the fly by turning the front dial during video recording. Power Aperture doesn't work if Live View is on in recording mode.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:55 PM
powderific
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

Yeah, I actually went and checked on the power aperture thing on my D800 and that definitely doesn't work during live view recording, as mshi says. Pretty ridiculous since they talked it up so much as a benefit for shooting video. Regular stepped changes work fine though.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:33 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

powderific wrote:
Yeah, I actually went and checked on the power aperture thing on my D800 and that definitely doesn't work during live view recording, as mshi says. Pretty ridiculous since they talked it up so much as a benefit for shooting video. Regular stepped changes work fine though.

It works only when you have HDMI video out to an external monitor, which basically turns off Live View automatically.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:45 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about using Aper Priority mode on D800 video

mshi wrote:
It works only when you have HDMI video out to an external monitor, which basically turns off Live View automatically.

You also can see it in action in Live View on the LCD (without HDMI) as long as you're not actively recording onto an internal media card.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.