Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

sportsguy1962

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Anyone come up with a dealer in the US who actually has these units in stock?

Anyone have any feedback to using them? Are they working as well as the rumors have it?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:14 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #2 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

I have a set and they work very well with all the advertised features working just fine. I've used them out to about 100m without any issues.

I had to beuy them direct from Phottix however.

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:50 PM
brimichaels

p.1 #3 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

I just ordered mine a few weeks ago. I ordered a set and 2 extra receivers.

Initial thoughts (physical aspects):
- Packaging is quite excellent with good blister protection and well-laid out products. Products are not cramped or anything. Box is sturdy and nice
- Plastic construction is "so-so." Don't expect this anywhere near the durability of PocketWizard. But as a whole, these units can last as long as you take good care of them.
- Battery doors are ok but not spectacular
- Buttons and switches have a nice feel to it. I hope they last long
- LCD screen is cleanly laid out.
- There is no instruction manual/booklet. Instead, it comes with a CD containing the manual in PDF format

Impressions on Usage:
- Works right away out of the box. No glitch whatsoever. Definitely miles apart from Pixel Kings in terms of ease of use
- The transmitter looks very much like the Nikon SU-800 where modes per grooup can be changed from TTL to Manual. However, the Manual mode is useless since you set the flash units simply to on, and if you set it to Manual, the transmitter cannot control the fash units remotely anymore. Whereas with the Nikon Su800, you'd have to set your flash to remote - which allows the transmitter to control the Flash in TTL, Manual or AA mode.
- EV compensation in TTL mode of the transmitter works flawlessly.
- High Speed sync work

Overall, I like the Odins. I bought them so that I can shoot wirelessly without "line of sight" and the work flawlessly. If you are buying this so that you can control your flash in Manual mode, don't get this. Instead look somewhere else - like Cactus V5 that echostoreph.com is selling.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:24 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #4 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

brimichaels wrote:
I just ordered mine a few weeks ago. I ordered a set and 2 extra receivers.

- The transmitter looks very much like the Nikon SU-800 where modes per grooup can be changed from TTL to Manual. However, the Manual mode is useless since you set the flash units simply to on, and if you set it to Manual, the transmitter cannot control the fash units remotely anymore. Whereas with the Nikon Su800, you'd have to set your flash to remote - which allows the transmitter to control the Flash in TTL, Manual or AA mode.

Overall, I like the Odins. I
...Show more

You need to reread the directions. You absolutely can set flash mode to manual with the controller and change the power from the controller as well. You do not change the mode on the flash, it should always be set to "on". (Not manual or slave).

Again, you should be able to set the mode to TTL or manual or off, or any combination of these modes if you have multiple groups. so one group could be in TTL mode while another is in manual mode. You can change the mode at any time as well.

I've had the Nikon Odins for several weeks and have used manual mode on shoots. So it is certainly a feature that is available. You simply are not using them correctly if you cannot get manual mode to work.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:16 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

I guess I should clarify that it works with TTL compatible flashes. If you are trying to control a cheap manual only flash, then you will not be able to have all these other features. The reality is that the controller and receivers mimic a TTL body for the off camera flashes. So the flashes think they are getting information from the body directly. If the flash cannot communicate via TTL language, then none of this works correctly. This is also why the off camera flashes are set to "on" and not another mode like slave mode.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:37 AM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.1 #6 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

where do u order one of these in US?, thx

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #7 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

mehrdad sadat wrote:
where do u order one of these in US?, thx

I had to order direct from Phottix and have them shipped from Hong Kong. Shipping was very reasonable and it only took about a week for me to receive the units.

As far as I know, there is no US distributor for the Nikon version yet. Adorama carries the Canon version, so it might be worth a call to the store to see if they have any of the Nikon versions in stock. Perhaps the website just hasn't been updated.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:02 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.1 #8 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

thx

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM
ozpall
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

I just ordered em from eBay, supposed to be a ny dealer and it says delivery by the 23rd, will see what happens.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #10 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

So does the transmitter on the Odins essentially have all functionalities of the AC3 controller of the pocketwizard?

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sic0048
• •
p.1 #11 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Smridevan wrote:
So does the transmitter on the Odins essentially have all functionalities of the AC3 controller of the pocketwizard?

Yes and more. You can change both the mode (ie Off, TTL, or manual) as well as change the power of any/all of the three zones in 1/3 stop increments. That functionality matches the functionality of the AC-3. But you can also control the flash's zoom control as well as turn the autofocus assist on/off with the Odin system as well. As far as I know, you do not have that functionality with the Pocket Wizard system.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #12 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Cool, thanks! Any advantages that the PW TT5 has that the Odins doesn't?

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:06 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #13 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Smridevan wrote:

The Pocket Wizards will work with some of the studio light manufacturers (namely the Elinchrom RX flashes with the PowerST4 and Einstein™ flashes with the PowerMC2). When you purchase the correct receivers for those lights you will be able to control the power settings of the lights right from the AC-3 or transmitter unit.

The Pocket Wizards can also be set up in a remote camera trigger configuration which is pretty nice. This allows you to set up a remote camera and use the pocket wizards to trigger it. The Odins do not have that capability and are designed as a flash trigger only.

Both the PW and Odins will work with their respective brand's cheaper "dumb" triggers as well (Odin Stratos and the PW Plus systems). So if you have some non-TTL flashes that you want to control, you can buy the cheaper triggers and mix them into the system with TTL flashes and the more expensive full feature TTL receivers. Of course you loose the ability to change the power settings for flashes attached to those types of triggers, but you can certainly save some $$ doing that when you have non-TTL flashes to control.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:10 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #14 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Smridevan wrote:

I forgot another feature that the PW has that the Odin does not have. The PW have their proprietary "hyper sync" adjustments which allow you to playing with the flash timings in an attempt to maximize the flash sync speed and get speeds over the normal sync speeds. The results are dependent on the equipment used, but it does seem to work.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #15 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Thanks, sic0048! I just ordered the Phottix Odin from Amazon.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #16 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Just got mines from eBay, took 3 days to get em, from ny to IL!

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:44 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #17 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Smridevan wrote:
Thanks, sic0048! I just ordered the Phottix Odin from Amazon.

Congrats! I'm sure you will like them, and you saved a little vs buying direct from Phottix.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #18 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Is there a manual for the Phottix Odin? My unit did not come with a manual. It came with a CD but I didn't bother installing it. What's on the CD anyways?

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:47 AM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #19 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

I managed to find the manual on Phottix's website: http://www.phottix.com/media/upload/instructions/Phottix%20Odin%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Quick question for owners of the Phottix Odin, when the transmitter is off and you press the on/off button briefly without holding it, does the LCD flash on for a second before turning off? It turns on fine when I hold the button but it's kind of disconcerting for it to act like that.

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:43 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #20 · Phottix ODIN for Nikon

Yes mine does that too, weird. Plus it takes a while to turn on too.

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password