Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom and Photoshop

burlybison

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom and Photoshop

I've been thinking about taking some photoshop classes to better understand how to use the program. I currently use lightroom for all my editing.

I'm just curious, is it necessary to learn photoshop or do most professionals just get by with lightroom? What is your opinion on using the 2 together? I'm really interested in hearing the opinion of others because I'm wondering if I should spend the money for photoshop classes. The program is always so confusing whenever I open it up, it's intimidating.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom and Photoshop

The layers feature in photoshop is what makes it special for me. Someone has a "layers" program for lightroom that may help.
I currently use lightroom daily and find hardly any need to go into photoshop anymore. I'm currently shooting for a weekly newspaper and they don't want their photos changed anyway. I do my editing right in lightroom.
It's fast, it's much cheaper and once you grab Scott Kelby's or another book, you'll love the program.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:53 PM
burlybison

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom and Photoshop

Wow layers for Lightroom. I just googled that and found;

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/?ind&utm_campaign=NAPP_Layers_0411&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=napp

Thanks for the heads up

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

miccullen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom and Photoshop

burlybison wrote:
Wow layers for Lightroom. I just googled that and found;

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/?ind&utm_campaign=NAPP_Layers_0411&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=napp

Thanks for the heads up

Don't get too excited by that, the concept is far better than the reality.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:54 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom and Photoshop

To answer your original question, you really need both LR and PS.

I only need PS for a small percentage of images but when I need it, I need it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom and Photoshop

I teach PS via Skype for a large part of my living. I would say both LR and PS. If you are a production photographer you will benefit from the speed and ease built into LR. But for excellence in image quality PS is an absolutely necessity. If you are more of a fine art photographer, I would recommend ACR to PS. If you want a straight forward approach to improving workflow you might consider private lessons Vis Skype. You can find more info on my website: Wildforlight.com

burlybison wrote:
I'm just curious, is it necessary to learn photoshop or do most professionals just get by with lightroom?

It is necessary for professionals. Although LR is getting more and more powerful there are a lot of things critical it can not do, and maybe will never do. But, if you just need to crank through a wedding (or whatever) and make some lightening fast adjustments to a ton of images LR will do that (and more) for you. But if you are looking for fine art quality, PS is absolutely critical.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password