Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Hey,
I'm getting ready to buy a new iMac as a home computer/digital darkroom. So far I am leaning towards the 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, and 16GB of memory, and Mountain Lion.

My plan is to hold all of my Photo Images (with the exception of snapshots) to an external drive that has a dual harddrive so it will mirror itself, and another to keep off property as an occasional back-up hardrive.

So, which harddrive should I get with the iMac? That is, the one in the iMac itself. 1Tb, 2Tb or the dual 256G solid state drives? (I may be misunderstanding that one.)

I plan to shoot big, and Raw, and have a thing for Panoramas, so will be playing with large files.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dennis

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:25 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

There's no option with dual SSDs. It's either 1 HDD, 1SSD or 1HDD+1SSD. The decision really depends on what else you're doing with the computer. What you're actually doing with the computer (in terms of large panos, etc) won't matter a whole lot when it comes to your decision. SSDs can make everyday use a lot nicer, so it's hard to recommend against them, but the upgrade price from Apple is pretty outrageous. Unfortunately doing that upgrade after-market isn't as simple as it should be. Also take into consideration how you'll be connecting the ext. photo drive. If you have big raw files, you may see a difference between Firewire and Thunderbolt, so spending the extra $500 there may make more sense. Or you could go with the internal SSD and do your editing there, and then move to the ext. for archiving, where speed isn't as important. If you need extra space for music/movies/crap, adding another external 1TB drive later is really cheap. If you think 256gb won't be enough for even your "core" system (operating system, the applications you use, etc), you may end up doing a lot of juggling of data and lose out on the speed improvements.

If it's in the budget, I'd say the 1TB+SSD is a safe bet.

FWIW, "occasional offsite back" makes me cringe. Continuous cloud backup is so cheap now, if you can spend this kind of money on a computer, there's no reason not to have it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:08 PM
lara_ckl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Be aware that upgrading the internal hard drive later will be difficult. I believe current iMacs require special Apple-approved hard drive in order to work properly. Adding a SSD on a machine that didn't come with one is even harder.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Thanks. That is the info I was looking for. I already use Carbonite. I guess I could still keep that. I think iCloud has some limits to storage. I don't remember what the issue was, but I remember not liking their offer. I'll have to go back and read their propaganda. Even with Carbonite, if it sees a file missing from your system, after thirty days, it deletes its copy of the file. I still think I would like an off site back up hard drive as well.

I think Thunderbolt is the way to go from what I understand. Faster than firewire. I would keep the files I am working with on the iMac, and then when they are finished, archive them on the harddrives. Still haven't decided what the best system is yet for workflow. I'm kind of starting to miss just putting negs. and transparencies in sleeves and hanging them in the filing cabinet

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

So, 300 bucks for a Ram upgrade to 16G. Would it be worth it for me to do that myself? That just seems oddly pricey.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
So, 300 bucks for a Ram upgrade to 16G. Would it be worth it for me to do that myself? That just seems oddly pricey.

Definitely a do it yourself project.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:06 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

For a current model 27" i7 3.4GHz iMac: To upgrade from 8 GB to 16GB RAM is only $56.99 from www.macsales.com (aka Other World Computing aka OWC; a very reputable company). It is a very easy upgrade to do. A Philips head screw driver is all you need.

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:08 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

I'll second the OWC RAM recommendation. Bought matching pairs for my MacPro years ago and no problems to date. Easy upgrade for a DIY, hard drive, now that is another story, you have to crack the iMac case which can be a bit daunting.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Thanks a whole bunch for that one! I've done my PC before, infact, replaced a motherboard (Asus P34X) and the harddrive and survived it. I know nothing about Mac though, and the way it has all become so compact. . .a little intimidating. I had hoped that RAM would be simple plug and play and easy access.

I can spend that money on software!

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:26 AM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

I bought a MacBook Pro a few months back and found that I really liked the OS. I had been doing all my photo work on a Windows 7 box, and I earn my living doing tech support on Linux boxes.

I finally decided to retire my aged Win 7 box and my Linux box, and last weekend bought a 27" iMac. I didn't get the most powerful one, mine is the Core i5 quad core 2.7GHz one, and it only came with 4GB. I find the 4GB to be not enough when running Photoshop and Lightroom, and have ordered an additional 8GB from Amazon to arrive this morning. I think it will be great with 12GB total RAM.

I already have the iMac doing everything I did on the Windows box, and have installed Virtual Box with a Linux VM running in it so I have quick access to a Linux box too. My Win 7 and Linux boxes and monitors and keyboards and mice are now stored away in my spare room and the iMac has replaced them. I'm really pleased with it so far.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Thanks Michael, now I have Mac envy!

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:29 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

My 8GB Crucial RAM arrived yesterday from Amazon, only $46 or so. Three phillips screws to get the cover off, seat the two new 4GB boards, put the cover back. With 12GB of RAM it's MUCH snappier in Photoshop and doing stuff like combining HDR images.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

I just ordered my iMac. Got a nice discount through the ASMP, that paid my membership and then some! I'm going to order my 16G of Ram from Mac Sales. $109. That is a $191 savings by doing it myself! Thank you FMers, once again!

I went with the 1TB harddrive + 256G Solid State drive. I assume the OS will be on the SS drive and that is where I will put Photoshop, Lightroom, Office etc.(?)

I won't need an external drive right away, but by next year I am sure I will. I will have time to educate myself about them better by then.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:04 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

I bet you will love it, Dennis! You might want to consider getting an external drive with either Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt interface and let Time Machine do your backups for you.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Yup, I've been getting an education on another thread about that. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133596/1#10839206

A Netgear NAS with multiple disks in RAID-x configuration. I did it! I don't fully get what I said, but I said it! I'm going to talk to my brother and have him help me out with storage. I was never able to even get our Passport drive to work right. I'm getting to that age where tech is passing me by and I need to rely on these youngsters. I could have my neighbors 6 year old come set something up for me. He'll work for chocholate chip cookies!

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Well, I got shipping confirmation, and it will be here on Saturday. I have finally made the swithch to Mac. Been threatening to do it for over a decade!

27-inch iMac

With the following configuration:
PROCESSOR 065-0250 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
MEMORY 065-0251 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
HARD DRIVE 065-0310 1TB Serial ATA Drive+256GB SSD
GRAPHICS 065-0312 AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
MOUSE 065-0341 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE

I'm going to order the extra Ram for it, and take it up to 16G. I hadn't planned on the Radeon upgrade, since I don't play video games. Then I got hooked on the thread about Time Lapse photography here on FM ( http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133937/0#10837185 )
and realized that I don't know where the future will take me. So, at this point, just pay the extra hundred for the upgrade. I saved more than that on DIY RAM.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:13 PM
hfgarris
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

My 27" iMac came with a 2TB hard disk, and I added a 120GB SSD as the boot drive and system drive with all the applications on it. The OWC upgrade to 16GB RAM is also worthwhile and cheap. It is easy to put your photo library on the hard disk along with music, videos, etc. which require lots of space but don't really benefit from the expensive SSD speed. Probably the easiest approach is to simply move your USER home directory over to the hard disk and then the OS will take care of everything else.

There are instructions for doing that:
http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

For backup I use a simple OWC FireWire800 dual drive RAID-1 (mirror) box using the automated OS Time Machine backup. Backup doesn't need the speed of expensive ThunderBolt external drives, FireWire800 seems fine. The external box is very small, and the mirror of 2 drives gives you essentially 3 copies of all your files plus historical access to backup data (although you are still vulnerable to a catastrophic failure such as fire, flood, lightning strike, theft which can only be mitigated by off-site backup storage).

-howard

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Well, I got shipping confirmation, and it will be here on Saturday. I have finally made the swithch to Mac. Been threatening to do it for over a decade!

27-inch iMac

With the following configuration:
PROCESSOR 065-0250 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
MEMORY 065-0251 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
HARD DRIVE 065-0310 1TB Serial ATA Drive+256GB SSD
GRAPHICS 065-0312 AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
MOUSE 065-0341 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE

You made some nice choices when configuring your new machine, I am sure your going to be happy. My only concern would be that Apple will be updating the iMac shortly and it might have been better to wait a month or so before making your purchase.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:44 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · iMac 27- which extras (NEW)

Cool, thanks Harris. I'll look into that. I had planned on my OS and software going on the SSD. I wasn't sure how to get Apple to do that. I'll take a look at that link after I get a little sleep.

Yup, Ektar, I thought seriously about that. There were a couple reasons for pulling the trigger now. As it is set up, it will be more than fast enough for my needs. So far beyond what I have now, it will be other-wordly. I should get a good three years out of it before I start dreaming of bigger and faster.

The date of the presumptive update, I'm guessing that that will be Ivory Bridge, is still unconfirmed. It may, happen in a month, but it may not happen until this time next year. I'm guessing they need to sell down their surplus of present components. My present computer will not handle my camera. Not at all. So, I don't want to wait until some unknown date before I can download from my camera. Also, I'm guessing that that update will be pretty pricey, and this was the absolute max I was able to put into a new system.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:56 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password