Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

There are a few chinese softboxes on ebay that are 9x36 and 14x36 that are reasonably cheap and come with grids.

Seems like the 9x36 would be perfect for edge/hair lighting.

Thoughts?

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:48 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

jzucker wrote:
There are a few chinese softboxes on ebay that are 9x36 and 14x36 that are reasonably cheap and come with grids.

If you want real quality, look at Chimera.

Photoflex make decent small strip boxes; the ‘quick release’ tabs aren’t quick, but are definitely helpful with stripboxes, which are much more difficult to knock down than regular softboxes. The Photoflex HalfDomes come with a front mask for an even narrower opening. (They may well be made in China.)

Grids for small boxes are generally less expensive than for larger boxes. There is a lot of hand work in sewing those small squares, so they are expensive. Some of the Chinese grids aren’t true grids, they are what used to be called louvers. They have stiff vertical sections with cloth horizontal strips – they don’t collapse as small as real cloth grids and are usually 40º x 60º or 40º x 80º, rather than 40º both ways.

Brian A

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:24 PM
AlphaValues

p.1 #3 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

I use a cheap 9x36 with a YN-560 (via a coldshoe > bowens adapter) for my hairlight, the system works well for me. I set the flash to 28mm zoom, diffuser panel out, and at around 1/16 power I get close f2.8 at "hair level". A little fiddling with the height of the boom allows me to tweak exactly how much light I get across the model's hair/shoulders.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:45 PM
unknown_photog

p.1 #4 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

Have a look at phottix...the quality is above the regular chinese brands and the prices are just a little higher but completely worth it!

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

unknown_photog wrote:
Have a look at phottix...the quality is above the regular chinese brands and the prices are just a little higher but completely worth it!

where can you buy them? I have phottix transceivers but I don't see their softboxes listed anywhere

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #6 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

http://www.phottix.com/en/studio-accessories.html?p=4

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

site says not available in the USA

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #8 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

I use photo flex half domes-small. plenty of length. takes some time to set up, but generally satisfied

Jul 24, 2012 at 02:54 AM
unknown_photog

p.1 #9 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

@Jzucker you can pick them up at amazon.

here's the link: Phottix Softboxes on Amazon

I've got a few of the Easy-Up 60x90, not true strips but do the job very well!

Andy

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:11 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

thanks andy. I don't see the strip boxes up there or any elinchrom adapter versions. I'll do a more thorough search later

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

Thanks for the info Brian. That's really helpful. I guess like anything else, you get what you pay for.
do the photoflex strip lights have true 40 degree grids?

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #12 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

don't know about the grids, suggest calling photo flex, I found them helpful

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:01 AM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #13 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

You can buy them direct from their store at: http://www.phottixstore.com/

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

Their site forces you to buy the bowens adapter and then purchase your specific adapter for $25 above that price.

xtremediver wrote:
You can buy them direct from their store at: http://www.phottixstore.com/

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #15 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

You can always use a softbox and mask off some of the area to create a strip box light. I clamp black felt to the facing of a 24 x 30 soft box to create a 12 x 30 strip - works just fine, even if you use a grid.
Their site forces you to buy the bowens adapter and then purchase your specific adapter for $25 above that price. Hate that!

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

jzucker wrote:
Thanks for the info Brian. That's really helpful. I guess like anything else, you get what you pay for.
do the photoflex strip lights have true 40 degree grids?

They have the grids with the square openings. They could be 38º x 38º or 43º x 43º, but close enough.

Not that louvers aren’t handy. They are generally lighter and cheaper than grids, and I wish that more manufactures offered them as an alternative.

If you want to see how it is at the top end, look at Chimera: they offer grids in 20º, 30º, 40º, 50º, and 60º; louvres in 20/60º and 30/50º, and cloth barndoors for the sides of softboxes to further reduce spill. Also silver or white interiors, and recessed front or flush front for combining two lights and two boxes to make one larger box.

Brian A

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:58 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

Chimera also offers metal honeycomb grids like those on a reflector, except bigger. I find that notion intriguing because I don't like the crude catchlights and reflections from cloth grids.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:31 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #18 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

I prefer using 7" reflectors with 10 or 20 degree grids. If you're looking to add a rim light that extends beyond the head and shoulders, then a strip light is a better option.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:08 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Thinking about picking up a couple strip lights

Thanks Deezie. I just picked up a grid set for my 7" reflectors so I will definitely be trying that out but yet, I do want to extend the rim light to full length or at least 3/4 length.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password