Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Okay here are two things that I'm having issue with and want to know how others handle this kind of situation while working.
1) Lens fogging
Last weekend we shot wedding in Atlatna and one issue that I came across for first time was moving from indoor AC environment to outdoor in humid and muggy where it is 95 degrees and 70% humidity, lens foged almost instantenously. So how do you avoid this situation ? What is best way to clean lens ASAP ? Luckily I had one more body available to work with so it was not a disaster. But was bit anxious moments for sometime.

2) All my camera are synced in terms of datetime. Shooting with multiple bodies one thing I've noticed for sometime that as I bring images into LR4 and see under Library module most of times it mixes up images i.e. order of shoot is not maintained properly. e.g. I shot morning events with two camera and than moved to afternoon events and shot with same two camera what I've seeing is it doesnot keep images ordered in capture time it is mixingup images from time to time when I see in LR4 Library module. I do have images sorted with capture time in Library module but still I dont see them like that when I check in LR4.

Any advise on this two appreciated.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:20 AM
KAJed
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Your time issue should be a simple matter of going in to the library mode and setting it to sort by Capture Time.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:22 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

KAJed wrote:
Your time issue should be a simple matter of going in to the library mode and setting it to sort by Capture Time.

yes I did that but still it is showing images that are not in order of capture time. Looks like multiple camera usage mixes up order of images.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:46 AM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

I shot an engagement at Brookside Gardens - cool and dry outside. Then we went into the butterfly house - hot and humid.

The fogged lenses made for some dreamy pictures

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:13 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

You can change the capture time for any image in LR, just bump the time ahead or back for one of the cameras.

Next time sync time before or at least shoot something at the same time (like a clock or whatever) so you can easily change the capture times in LR.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Matt B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Best advice I can give on the fogging situation is to understand what conditions may be ahead of time, and always carry a hairdryer with you in those events, and hope you have power.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:39 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

keep the camera in a ziplock with those bead things...

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:45 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

You can't remedy condensation. Once it happens, you just have to wait for the camera to warm up. I but you can try to prevent it. You need to keep the camera close to the outside temperature. My advice is keep your backup camera and lens in a bag with some kind of insulation or even better, outside if you can and if you run into the fogging again just switch.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Before going outside, put your camera in a ziplock bag with air from inside in the bag and allow both to come up to outside temp more gradually.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Thanks all - so with related to fogging it may not always be possible to avoid it irrespective of your best intent, so what is best way to clean your lens if you need to use it ASAP ?

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

I clean my lens with a microfiber cloth when im at home. On the road, I wear a thin cotton polo and so I use the shirt to clean the lens. Don't worry, those lenses are made to be pretty darn durable and a little cotton shirt cleaning wont destroy it. Just make the shirt is clean, free of dirt, sweat, dust or food

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Daboyle wrote:
I clean my lens with a microfiber cloth when im at home. On the road, I wear a thin cotton polo and so I use the shirt to clean the lens. Don't worry, those lenses are made to be pretty darn durable and a little cotton shirt cleaning wont destroy it. Just make the shirt is clean, free of dirt, sweat, dust or food

When you clean it, it will just fog up again. I never have this problem in Colorado (thank God!) but I did when I went to a butterfly exhibit and botanic garden. Your camera cannot be cooler than the environment you are in or it will fog up if it is humid. Hair dryer is the only thing that would make sense to make your camera warmer.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

I agree robin, but lets be practical. who carries a blow dryer and has the time to pull it out and use it for a grand exit from the bride and groom?

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

It's really best to avoid it in the first place by bagging. The bigger concern for me is condensation inside the lens.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

As others said you want the lens to warm up gradually. If you have a second shooter or assistant you can have them go out a few minutes early with the gear in a bag to let it acclimate. I haven't found it necessary to use a air tight bag (ziplock), just a closed camera bag seems to capture enough of the cool air in my experience.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Daboyle wrote:
I agree robin, but lets be practical. who carries a blow dryer and has the time to pull it out and use it for a grand exit from the bride and groom?

Yeah.. i have no idea .. I am just glad I dont have this problem in CO. Put it under the sun a few minutes will solve the problem too. I dont see how a zip loc would work. If the lens is cold, you take it to hotter environment with humidity, it will fog up. Does not matter if it was in a zip loc or not. I wont fog up while it is in the bag... but if you take it out, it will fog up immediately.

I guess you can leave a few lenses in the car

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

Robin Usagani wrote:
Yeah.. i have no idea .. I am just glad I dont have this problem in CO. Put it under the sun a few minutes will solve the problem too. I dont see how a zip loc would work. If the lens is cold, you take it to hotter environment with humidity, it will fog up. Does not matter if it was in a zip loc or not. I wont fog up while it is in the bag... but if you take it out, it will fog up immediately.

I guess you can leave a few lenses in the
...Show more

If the lens warms up to above the dewpoint while in the bag, you can take it out and it won't form condensation on the lens. Any condensation formed while in the bag should be on the bag itself and not the lens.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Jimsokay
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens foging during wedding and LR catalog in post wedding ?

swoop wrote:
You can't remedy condensation. Once it happens, you just have to wait for the camera to warm up. I but you can try to prevent it. You need to keep the camera close to the outside temperature. My advice is keep your backup camera and lens in a bag with some kind of insulation or even better, outside if you can and if you run into the fogging again just switch.

+1

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.