Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

I'll be going out to Alaska sometime next year to photograph the bears for 3-4 days. I will be going with a guide, so I'll have a home base where I can leave stuff.

Being that these trips are weight conscious, I'm trying to find a way to limit myself to one bag that carries all my clothing and all my photography equipment. My intent is to take 2 days worth of clothes - wear, allow to dry, wear and done. Lots of socks as we will be hiking 2-5 miles per day and crossing streams and what not.

My photography gears consists of: 7d x2, Sigma 17-50, 50-150, 120-300, polarizer and tripod. Anything else will be left at home for this trip.

I've read on here a about several guys using a hiking pack with cube insert for trips like this. Having looked at some hiking bags this weekend, I like the idea of this as a one bag approach - carry everything for the trip, unpack at camp and carry only the essentials in the field. However, I am yet to find a cube big enough to hold the 120-300, which is about 12"x6". The thought then comes up that a cube big enough to hold it may take up alot of space in the bag, more than what I am thinking.

So, anyone got any suggestions on a cube or bag that might work well for this?

Forgot to mention - the F-stop bags look great but don't think they'll work for this as I would require a large ICU with the Satori and, based on their pictures, that won't leave much room for other gear.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
scottyg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

I am not sure there is a one bag fits all situations for something like this. My first thought, which I have done before, is to take a normal hiking bag and have lenscoats on the lenses and pack within your clothes. This way you can utilize an bag you already have, or allow great options for bags with a hipbelt that may fit you better than a camera specific bag. I have done this on short trips to Florida with a 200-400. When I went to Alaska last summer, I took a bag for my clothes and a separate camera bag for the camera gear (moose peterson mp-1, which I will never recommend). I was staying in civilization, so no need for an all in one. Also consider if you have to check your 1 bag....

I think your guide might/should provide you with some waders to wear....otherwise buy a pair of xtratuf's.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:09 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

I have to provide the wader/hip boots. My intent there is to pick them up in Homer and give them to the guide when done. That way I don't have to transport them bakc and forth.

So really only clothes and toiletries in the bag. I think it would be carry-on compatible.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:18 PM
scottyg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

You are going to pay a good amount for them in Homer....are you flying into Homer or driving to? Anchorage or Soldotna would allow you to get them for a little cheaper along with a better selection(if that matters to you).

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:33 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

My intent was to fly into Homer, although I guess Anchorage could be an option. Not sure I need to be driving around the state of Alaska, might head toward Homer and end up in Prudoe Bay. Directions are not a strong point for me.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottyg
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

Well, the good thing is that there are not too many main roads to get lost on outside of Anchorage.....one main road to homer from Anchorage, with 1 split to go to Seward.....Not to mention one of the most beautiful drives you can take on the Kenai Peninsula.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:16 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

Might have to consider that Scott. Looks like the plane ticket would be about $500 cheaper not fliying all the way into Homer so that would be a nice little side trip.

I had thought about driving from NC to AK and making it a couple week trip. Not sure on that one yet.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Tlazer

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

If you will be hiking I would recommend getting a think tank holster to carry a camera and lens where you can get it out quickly to shoot. I have the pro model with the harness and carry my pro body with the 70-200mm f2.8 and converter. The mesh straps fit nicely under the backpack harness and it is protected, and if it starts raining it has an included rain cover to keep it dry.

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:32 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1 Bag for Alaska trip?

This is too much gear for a single pack. If you have a home base you should leave one of the bodies there. Given your subject matter the 50-150 should also be a contender for staying at base camp. The rest of it can go in a regular backpack - much more comfortable for long hauls, though 2-5 miles should not be that strenuous, unless on very rough terrain. If you do go for a photo-oriented backpack, I would suggest staying away from all the tradtional brands - TT, Lowepro, Tamrac, etc. They lack internal frames and no matter what any body else claims about their hip belts, within an hour or two you will discover that all their weight is on your shoulders, not the hips. If you down the gear and only have clothes to take care of, the F-stop Tilopa will be just fine, assuming that they have it in stock and you can swallow the steep, steep price.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:28 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password