Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

This began with a Nikkor 50 question...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133544

Next question is:

"What does the 85 1.4 offer that the 1.8 doesn't (aside from the obvious aperture advantage) - just nano crystal and 9 vs 7 blades?... is that it?... or is the $1,700 1.4 that much sharper and/or more responsive than the $500 1.8?"

I hear lots of raves about the 85 1.8G but little about the 1.4G. I want this focal length and I want quality but don't want to toss $1,200 aside with little benefit.

Does anyone have first hand (or close to it) opinions on the differences between the two lenses?

Which would you purchase and why?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:26 AM
aFrIcanSH
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

If i had other tele lenses, i'd go for the 85mm 1.8 (say the 105mm VR, 180mm f2.8 or 70-200mm VR) since the use of a tele lens would probably be spread among a few lenses. But if the 85mm is my fav/most used focal length, then really the 85mm f1.4G is fantastic. However to be honest i prefer the sigma 85mm's images and character. The 1.8 and the 1.4G are both pretty comparable, and the 1.8 has the price and size advantage. Bokeh wise i've seen and read that the 7 blades are circular and quite pleasing?

To save $1200 i'd get the 85mm 1.8 and something else. It's definitely not $1200 "worse" than the 1.4G.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM
mikesrc
• •
p.1 #3 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

The 1.4 may be a little better, but I bought the 85 1.8 because I couldn't see enough difference to justfie the cost. It is the sharpest lens I own.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

I have the Sigma 85/1.4, and it's fantastic. I couldn't justify the price tag on the Nikon 85/1.4 over the Sigma's.

With 1.4 vs 1.8, you're getting that extra thin DOF, a little more room to open up, and the difference in bokeh is certainly there. Now, whether that difference justifies the price jump is very personal. For me, the Sigma was great. It performs better than the Nikon 1.8, and cheaper than the Nikon 1.4, and the results are not really that different.

Some people can tell a difference between the Sigma 1.4 and the Nikon 1.4 in a side by side comparison of the same image. However, I don't think anyone would be able to ID a picture in a line-up of different images and tell which is shot with the Nikon/Sigma. The only advantage to Nikon is the weather sealing which Sigma lacks. But for my uses, it doesn't matter as I wouldn't be using the 85/1.4 out in the rain anyways.

Nikon 85/1.4 - $1700
Sigma 85/1.4 - $970
Nikon 85/1.8 - $500

To me, the Nikon is certainly NOT $730 better than the Sigma, and most DEFINITELY not $1200 better than the 1.8.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:52 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

My suggestion on this is to buy your gear used online here at FM from reputable members of these boards. The higher end used Nikon glass holds it's value very well. You could buy a used 85 1.4 G for $1500 shoot with it for a year, keep it clean and well cared for and sell it down the road for almost not hit other than shipping and paypal.

Regarding the 1.8 vs 1.4 it's not a huge difference but if you like limited depth of field, subject isolation, and creamy backgrounds then the 1.4 will give you a little more of each. Depending on what you shoot and how much you shoot will determine which option is best for you.

Jack

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:06 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

Thanks so much for the replies, all.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

one other option is picking up a mint Nikon 85 1.4 D off the buy/sell. It's a legendary lens and trades for around $800 used.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

I agree with Allstar. The 1.4 D is ignored now as the newer lenses get all the attention, but it is a great lens. I suspect just as the AIS stuff is coming back into vogue, so will this one.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pubtime
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

The 1.8 is out of this world for the price. The 1.4 is nice but at almost three times the price, hell no! The Sigma is as good as the 1.4 Nikon and I still prefer the $500 1.8G! It focuses WAY faster than the 1.4 Nikon and it's so damn sharp wide open! LOVE.THAT.LENS!

In all honesty, the 28 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 are better than the 24G, 50G and 85G (the 1.4 versions).

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:56 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

I mentioned the 1.4 D in his other thread. But this time mine came in and I have some real use on it. So far very happy with it. Just basic around the house shooting to op check the lens, seal up the deal and continue the trend of a great recommendation for another FM seller. I should get more quality time and interesting subjects to shoot later this week.

If a hobbyist (I am) and need 1.4 and like Nikon glass so far its showing itself to be a good choice. Some of its flaws by all reports I have read show up more in paid gigs. I don't shoot nervous brides not marching down the aisle with USMC Silent drill team precision in sometimes badly lit churches. It wont shoot a brick wall as well as a G either by some reports. Fine with me tbh...I don't shoot brick walls unless something interesting on or near it anyway lol.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:03 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.1 #11 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

The 85 1.4D...comparing the pictures from my 85 1.4G and the 1.4D, i do prefer the look of the D version. If you avoid test comparisons and reviews (which basically show the flaws of the D against what the G has worked on), you should be more than happy with the D. The AF tracking is a big improvement on the G however, and maybe a slight improvement in CA control, plus the weather sealing - for me anyway.

In short the 1.4G is everything you want in an 85, the creamy bokeh, AF tracking (not exactly speed though), sharper than the others (sigma is close, might be better). It's got the better technical image advantage. I find it may lack character though and for that the D or the Sigma do better at.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

Love the Sigma 85 f1.4. I have been shooting it since the first month it came out and on the d800 it really is impressive. At f1.4 It is sharper then the Nikon stopped down there is no nikon 85 sharper in the center. If you want center to edge sharpness the Nikon will be better but for a straight of portrait lens the Sigma speed and IQ are top notch.

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:18 PM
chefboyarlee
• • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

I had a bad sigma copy. The AF would hunt and never lock on. I never got another to do a true side by side because my nikon 85 1.4 will never be sold. It is a perfect copy and it has paid for itself many times over. I love the sharpness, bokeh, rendering...everything.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:18 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

Out of curiosity, I purchased the Sigma to do the comparison between the two. The major difference to me is that Sigma's control of CA seems not on par with the Nikon in high contrast scenes shooting either wide open or close to wide open. Nikon 1.8G is really nice for its size and performance. However, out shooting both 1.4G and 1.8G a coverage in a sudden rain proves 1.4G is much much and MUCH better weather-sealed.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:45 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Nikon Primes - dedicated question 2 of 3 - 85mm

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Love the Sigma 85 f1.4. I have been shooting it since the first month it came out and on the d800 it really is impressive. At f1.4 It is sharper then the Nikon stopped down there is no nikon 85 sharper in the center. If you want center to edge sharpness the Nikon will be better but for a straight of portrait lens the Sigma speed and IQ are top notch.

The difference in center sharpness is minimal, but the difference in edge sharpness is major. Also, resale of Sigma lenses is still soft compared to Nikon.

The OP will need to decide whether or not resale value plus edge and corner sharpness is worth the price difference. I disliked the 85 1.4 D's focusing speed and it is not as sharp as the G.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password