Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

I'd purchased a monopod because I was going to do some serious traveling over a five-week period: Beijing, Tokyo and Kamakura followed by a swing through Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Budapest and Paris. I knew I'd be in a lot of dark places that wouldn't allow tripods, so I decided to get a monopod. I didn't like the handling or flexibility of bolting the camera/lens directly to the monopod, so I decided to get a monopod head with a clamp. But adding a clamp also made me realize that the L-plate on my body runs side-to-side and the foot plate on my beloved 80-200 f/2.8 runs back-to-front, which means I'd have to rotate the plate on the head when I wanted to use the 80-200. The alternative is a panning clamp for the head.

The folks at Sunwayfoto offered to let me test their latest head and clamp setup, and in summary I can say I love them. Great quality, easy handing and very small size made me really enthusiastic about using the monopod (which is a Sirui P-326).

I've put a full review on my blog:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/07/22/sunwayfoto-ddh-02-and-dt-01-review/

You can also see my first thoughts and a few other photos comparing their standard panning clamp to the DDH-02:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/05/23/sunwayfoto-monopod-head/

Some pix:

Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head by e24mpwr, on Flickr

Sunwayfoto DDH-02 Panning Clamp by e24mpwr, on Flickr

DT-01 Monopod Head with DDH-02 panning clamp by e24mpwr, on Flickr

DT-01 Monopod Head with DDH-02 panning clamp by e24mpwr, on Flickr

For the purposes of full disclosure, this setup (except the monopod) was provided to me by Sunwayfoto for review. If you've read my blog, I hope you believe that I'm a very straightforward guy - I say what I think, I admit what I don't know and I'd never let anything sway my review of a product: It works or it doesn't. I like it or I don't. I hate fiddly stuff and poor design, and I'll never hold back on those issues. I always try to be fair, whichever way that cuts. That said I'm just an enthusiast, not a pro. Any feedback or insight appreciated.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:14 AM
CPWarner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

Interesting, The DDH-02 seems like it would be an excellent match to my Gitzo traveler and Markins Q3.

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:08 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

CPWarner wrote:
Interesting, The DDH-02 seems like it would be an excellent match to my Gitzo traveler and Markins Q3.

If you'd like to peek at one, I could mail it to you if you'll mail it back. If you read my review, I also have their larger panning clamp, which I could toss in as well. I'd just ask you to cover the cost of shipping to send the two. Honestly, if you're in a traveler setup, there is nothing quite like the DDH-02 I've seen. Much better than the panning clamps with big knobs sticking out.

Just PM with your address, etc. if you're interested.

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

M635_Guy wrote:
If you'd like to peek at one, I could mail it to you if you'll mail it back. If you read my review, I also have their larger panning clamp, which I could toss in as well. I'd just ask you to cover the cost of shipping to send the two. Honestly, if you're in a traveler setup, there is nothing quite like the DDH-02 I've seen. Much better than the panning clamps with big knobs sticking out.

Just PM with your address, etc. if you're interested.

Wow, that is quite a generous offer. I really appreciate it, but, I already got one! The DDH-02 is perfectly sized for the Markins Q3T, and I have been enjoying it. I added a photo below to show how the DDH-02 looks on the Q3T. I use it with micro four thirds gear, which it is perfectly sized for. I also have the RRS panning clamp which is permanently mounted on my Arca Swiss Z1 at this point. The RRS clamp was rather large on the Q3T. This is much better.

Cliff

Sunwayfoto DDH-02 on Markins Q3T

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

The panning lever on the clamp looks a lot easier to use than the RRS version which is way too small to apply proper lock, especially in vertical.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:18 PM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

I have never had any issue with locking the panning lever on RRS panning clamp. The panning knob on the RRS is nearly the size of the clamp knob on the Sunwayfoto clamp and it has nice knurling on it.

Cliff

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:24 PM
JimClark
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

Just bought one of the sunway and am very impressed it is one nice piece of machining and very smooth operating

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

CPWarner wrote:
I have never had any issue with locking the panning lever on RRS panning clamp. The panning knob on the RRS is nearly the size of the clamp knob on the Sunwayfoto clamp and it has nice knurling on it.

Cliff

The panning lock on one of my PCL-1s failed after limited use. The other one, on the panning arm, is still fine. The knob is a bit difficult to tighten in any case due to the small diameter. It's not that I would buy any cheaper gear like Sunway, though.

When using a larger tripod such as a 3 series, I prefer a leveling base, which obviates the need for the panning clamp on the ball head.

EBH

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

and of course you sent it back as they do warranty their product for a minimum of 5 years right?

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:19 AM
JimClark
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

I didn't get the panning feature. I use it on my monopod so didn't see a need for it

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

sjms wrote:
and of course you sent it back as they do warranty their product for a minimum of 5 years right?

They replaced the PCL with another one. I'm not too worried about the PCL on the panning setup, but I later removed the one on the BH-55 and replaced it with a screw clamp for reliability.

EBH

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

reliability? where is there a loss of reliability?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

JimClark wrote:
I didn't get the panning feature. I use it on my monopod so didn't see a need for it

If all your QR plates face the same way, no need. But for those of us with a mix of front mount (tripod collars) and side mount (cameras) plates, the panning feature is very helpful. Sure you can whip out a T4 hex wrench and flip the clamp, but that gets old fast.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:51 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-2 Panning Head Review

^^Exactly - if you don't have a lens with a foot, it isn't something you probably need for your monopod. But it is useful for panos on a regular ball head without the weight/bulk of the larger pano heads (e.g. PCL-1)

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password